Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One way one trip travel insurance

Wikiposts

One way one trip travel insurance

Old Aug 28th 2003, 8:20 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Thumbs up One way one trip travel insurance

Just had a read through a Going Places one trip booklet.
The insurers are White Horse Travel Ireland Ltd (they also have a web site but you cannot book this cover through the site)

The contents of the booklet include a passage which states

The trip starts at your home in the UK and ends when you return to the UK or in the case of a one way trip it ends 17 days after you arrive at the final destination or when the (45 ot 90 days are up) which ever is first. Or words to that effect.

When I get some time off and can visit a Going Places shop I will try to find out how much a 45 day trip or even a 90 day trip will cost. If anyone else gets there first please let us know. :lecture:
Old Sep 1st 2003, 5:39 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Default Re: One way one trip travel insurance

Originally posted by yafm
Just had a read through a Going Places one trip booklet.
The insurers are White Horse Travel Ireland Ltd (they also have a web site but you cannot book this cover through the site)

The contents of the booklet include a passage which states

The trip starts at your home in the UK and ends when you return to the UK or in the case of a one way trip it ends 17 days after you arrive at the final destination or when the (45 ot 90 days are up) which ever is first. Or words to that effect.

When I get some time off and can visit a Going Places shop I will try to find out how much a 45 day trip or even a 90 day trip will cost. If anyone else gets there first please let us know. :lecture:

Managed to get into a Going Places shop

They quoted me a one way travel insurance with the above company - whose booklet speaks of 17 days after arrival in destination. at just under £100 with £75 excess and just over £100 with £25 excess both for 45 days duration. 35 days was the same price so I am hoping that 55 days might also be the same price.

I know it is as much as a normal annual insurance but I cannot get a good quote for any other one way insurance that gives you more than 24 hours within australia and some don't even give you one hour.

If ANYONE knows otherwise PLEASE advise us all tHANKS
Old Sep 1st 2003, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

These two give you 48 hours after arrival for one-way trips (look in small print under Period of Insurance) and were Which magazine best buys (doesn't mean cheapest necessarily but means cover is comprehensive and no dodgy fine print):

www.leadedge.co.uk - up to age 40
www.worldwideinsure.com - over age 40
Old Sep 1st 2003, 10:10 pm
too busy to work members

Got a quote from worldwide cost is £74 for 45 days (or less if you get to oz before time is up) as you say 48 hours only within oz. It may be worth the other £25 to have cover for two weeks while trying to find place to live and staying in holiday or B & B let then all property will still be covered.

Any other offers from anyone - what have YOU found?
Old Sep 1st 2003, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yafm - sounds like you're having a big trip on the way to Oz. We were just going for 3-5 day insurance to cover the journey and 48 hours afterwards!

I did check with RACV (Melb) about home contents insurance. They were happy to cover contents in temp accom, holiday flat or whatever for no extra cost and then transfer cover to longer term accom so I'll be ringing them up within 48 hours of arrival. Contents insurance is so cheap compared to the UK (esp London) it's not worth us paying extra in ££ for longer travel ins.
Old Sep 1st 2003, 10:31 pm
too busy to work members

Originally posted by Jolyn
Yafm - sounds like you're having a big trip on the way to Oz. We were just going for 3-5 day insurance to cover the journey and 48 hours afterwards!

I did check with RACV (Melb) about home contents insurance. They were happy to cover contents in temp accom, holiday flat or whatever for no extra cost and then transfer cover to longer term accom so I'll be ringing them up within 48 hours of arrival. Contents insurance is so cheap compared to the UK (esp London) it's not worth us paying extra in ££ for longer travel ins.

Thanks thats an idea we did not know we could get insurance while in temporary accommodation. Shall have to see if we can find the same company cover in NSW
Old Sep 1st 2003, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

ayanem is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems to me that if you're covered by an annual travel policy no-one will ever know it should have been a one-way policy until you don't go back.

Was planning on buying the return flight out there, guv.
Old Sep 1st 2003, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yafm - try one of the big insurers in NSW like NRMA. Phone number should be on their website. Good luck.