Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One of those days!

One of those days!

Old Nov 11th 2004, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default One of those days!

Hi Guys

Having a wobbly day today! had a chat to my sister (who is being great about the move) she has had a long chat with my parents and they are well devastated that we are (hope) to move to Australia.
The fact that they think we are making a huge mistake and that they will miss my kids little faces and miss them growing up.

I think with that and the fact that the house is sold, all seems alot to take in and knowing its going to get alot harder!!

Dont get me wrong we are 100% about the move, but god I feel guilty today

I keep telling myself, it will be worth it in the end & I hope that when they visit they understand why we wanted to do it.

Sue
Old Nov 11th 2004, 4:49 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: One of those days!

Originally Posted by Sue2
Hi Guys

Having a wobbly day today! had a chat to my sister (who is being great about the move) she has had a long chat with my parents and they are well devastated that we are (hope) to move to Australia.
The fact that they think we are making a huge mistake and that they will miss my kids little faces and miss them growing up.

I think with that and the fact that the house is sold, all seems alot to take in and knowing its going to get alot harder!!

I keep telling myself, it will be worth it in the end & I hope that when they visit they understand why we wanted to do it.

Sue
It's a tricky business Sue, I'm pretty close to my friends and family myself ... and to be honest that is the biggest "minus" of going.

But, as you say, you gotta do what's best for yourself and your closest. And with technology these days you can keep in touch and send pictures and maybe video (with a good connection) back at regular intervals.

This combined with cheap(ish) phone calls has helped my mother come around to the idea anyway, hope your folks see it the same way.

Matt
Old Nov 11th 2004, 4:49 pm
Cotswolds to Perth

Fremantleraider will become famous soon enough

Hello,

Dont let them get you down. If you feel in your heart that you are doing the right thing then DONT change your mind or you will be saying for the rest of your life "I wish i had moved etc......"

I'm sure your folks are just a little scared for you but thats only natural.......
I would say thats its not the other side of the world that you are moving to but ummm well it is BUT just tell me of the wonderfull holidays they will have when they come out to visit.

I dont think i'm much help but keep your chin up!

FremantleRaider
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Guys

I know it will all be worth it in the end!! and what a great experience it will be when my nieces & nephews are old enough to want to travel

Sorry about being a bit glum, had to post cause I know you guys will cheer me up!!

Thanks Sue x

Last edited by Sue2; Nov 11th 2004 at 5:12 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:14 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Guys

I know it will all be worth it in the end!! and what a great experience it will be when my nieces & nephews are old enough to want to travell

Sorry about being a bit glum, had to post cause I know you guys will cheer me up!!

Thanks Sue x
I've had similar problems (but no kids involved).
It is hard, but something that has to be worked through by all parties. I think I am finally getting to that stage - and you will too.
Cas x
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:23 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
I've had similar problems (but no kids involved).
It is hard, but something that has to be worked through by all parties. I think I am finally getting to that stage - and you will too.
Cas x
Good luck one and all. I'm sure I'll have to deal with the same problem in the near future and I'm not looking forward to it.....
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks

I`ll be alright when I`m on the plane

Not looking forward to lose goodbyes

All the best to everyone else too.

Sue x
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:37 pm
Cheeky

Hi Sue,

Its a rollercoaster for everyone I think. OMG I havent told anyone yet.....I am so dreading that time. Cant wait to know about the visa then we can let our family and friends know. I can cope with anything my family and friends will throw at me all except one person.... This is my Nan. She is in her 80s and is a lovely lady. I know it will hit her hard as there is no way she would come to Oz to visit us. But I know she wont give me a hard time, quite the opposite actually she will be all for it..... Which is worse! At least if they give you a hard time you can say sod ya Im going anyway!!!

Anyway sorry but I am feeling a bit gloomy today also and sorry guys to off load on you...

Its gonna be difficult and Im sure alot of people can relate to it but we are still going to go and i will buy my Nan a puter and get her hooked on the net and msn.

Thanks for listening folks,
Cheeky xx

Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:43 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help except to say - get a taxi to the airport. I refuse point blank to have farewells at airport. I intend to start my new life happy.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:50 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

Sue

Hi Sue,
Sorry to hear your having a naff day,aint easy when it comes to telling mum & dad about your plans for the future,their first reaction is your making a huge mistake,even although we are doing it, the thought of one or more of my kids turning round one day & saying to me their emigrating & taking my grandkids with them would be horrifying
But im sure it will get easier for them in time to accept what your doing.
We,re in the same situation,parents have told us directly we,re making a big mistake & we,ll be home within six months!!
Just making me more determind to prove them wrong!
Give it time & try to stay positive,not easy i know.
Keep yer chin up Sue x
Donna
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, sue, i know what you mean my mum is trying a real good guilt trip, but i was expecting it,youve just got to think of yourself and your kids,your parents can come for holidays the world is small place these days,and think of all us friens you ll once you get there.

I agree with penny, definately no good byes at the airport

tracey.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Can't help except to say - get a taxi to the airport. I refuse point blank to have farewells at airport. I intend to start my new life happy.

Yes, already thought of that one!! could`nt handle it at all

& Cheeky, is`nt it mad that the older generation are so open minded! I work with the elderly and when I chat to them about the move + other things they are so open minded!! its great. Would`nt want to be in your shoes when you tell all, I`ve let them know now to soften the blow.

Thanks for all the good wishes.

Sue x
Old Nov 11th 2004, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by madsad
Hi Sue,
Sorry to hear your having a naff day,aint easy when it comes to telling mum & dad about your plans for the future,their first reaction is your making a huge mistake,even although we are doing it, the thought of one or more of my kids turning round one day & saying to me their emigrating & taking my grandkids with them would be horrifying
But im sure it will get easier for them in time to accept what your doing.
We,re in the same situation,parents have told us directly we,re making a big mistake & we,ll be home within six months!!
Just making me more determind to prove them wrong!
Give it time & try to stay positive,not easy i know.
Keep yer chin up Sue x
Donna

Hi Donna

Your right about making you more determind, when we first told the family they thought we where talking out of our bums different story now things are starting to move!

& Tracey your right, I cant wait to meet everyone! especially if/when we get out there, it will be great.

Sue x
Old Nov 11th 2004, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, the older people i work with are great,especially the 90 yr olds,i wonder what happened to our parents generation?

hope you can make leeds.

tracey.
Yes, already thought of that one!! could`nt handle it at all

& Cheeky, is`nt it mad that the older generation are so open minded! I work with the elderly and when I chat to them about the move + other things they are so open minded!! its great. Would`nt want to be in your shoes when you tell all, I`ve let them know now to soften the blow.

Thanks for all the good wishes.

Sue x