Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One of those "culture shock" moments!

One of those "culture shock" moments!

Old Apr 20th 2004, 9:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default One of those "culture shock" moments!

All those of you in Oz must have had them - those surreal moments when you say something like "here's one I made earlier....." and everyone around you looks blank!

I've just had a text message from my mum, saying her "train was 33 minutes late due to non-appearance of the driver", I burst out laughing and said "I didn't get where I am today by being ..... late for work....." The Bloke stared blankly, so I gave him a clue, suggesting he imagine his mother-in-law as a hippo......... then mentioned Reggie Perrin....and he just looked BLANK! Oh lor, culture shock, life without Reggie and Sunshine Desserts........

Who else has had a moment like that, struggling to explain what is so hilarious?
Old Apr 20th 2004, 10:05 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

lol Polly,
had a few of those especially at work, just everyday expressions that you use. Sometimes when I try to explain them I realise that they make no sense at all!
Michaela
Old Apr 20th 2004, 11:25 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default Re: One of those "culture shock" moments!

Originally posted by Pollyana
All those of you in Oz must have had them - those surreal moments when you say something like "here's one I made earlier....." and everyone around you looks blank!

I've just had a text message from my mum, saying her "train was 33 minutes late due to non-appearance of the driver", I burst out laughing and said "I didn't get where I am today by being ..... late for work....." The Bloke stared blankly, so I gave him a clue, suggesting he imagine his mother-in-law as a hippo......... then mentioned Reggie Perrin....and he just looked BLANK! Oh lor, culture shock, life without Reggie and Sunshine Desserts........

Who else has had a moment like that, struggling to explain what is so hilarious?
do you mean you get text messages from you mum that you can understand??? i think my mum has been spending too many hours ready the 'text abreviation' manual. She's the only person i know who can put a whole conversation in to one text message (and i'm talking sms here not mms) by only using 4 characters!

i'm quite looking forward to people not being able to understand me....
Old Apr 20th 2004, 12:04 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One of those "culture shock" moments!

Originally posted by Pollyana
I didn't get where I am today by being ..... late for work
That one would have flown over my head too. Sounds like it was before my time
Old Apr 20th 2004, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Polly, my Mum hasn't even worked out how to send Texts yet!

A guy came up to me at a kid's birthday party and asked if I knew a friend of his from London. 'Where abouts in London is he from?' I said
'don't know ' he said.
Umm it is a big place with 9 million people in it you need to narrow it down a bit I think.

I don't think this guy had ever stepped out of Queensland, he didn't have a clue! Because I am from London he thinks I know everyone doh
Old Apr 20th 2004, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the British comedy shows that we get over here I reckon must go over the heads of many Aussies. They make reference to things and people that the Aussies maybe wouldn't have heard of, so while me and hubby are laughing and remembering those British celebrities we'd forgotten about, some Aussie is probably thinking "I don't get that....."

I told someone the other day that my husband used to commute one hour to work back in England. Their response? "He must have worked near the coast then, any further and he'd be off the island surely?" Er no, the UK might look small on the map, but you can actually drive quite a long distance! I went on to tell him how a family holiday down to Cornwall would take about eight hours driving, and he was truly amazed!