Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One for Scutter or other bikies

One for Scutter or other bikies

Old Jan 7th 2004, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of
Default One for Scutter or other bikies

I don't think I'll be able to afford to run a second car for a while when we get to Oz. I was toying with the idea of learning to ride a motorcycle as a cheap alternative. I'm not sure what the easiest way to go about it is.

I have a full UK license from the days when that gave you an automatic provisional motorcycle license. As I understand it, this means I would just take a test called the CBD1 or something then I could ride a bike on L plates here. Is that right?

For a grand or so could I get a cheap but relieable commuter bike under 50cc or whatever the limit is and be fairly sure of being able to make my money back on a resale before I leave for Oz?

After some practice doing that I would take the full test and that's then just an extra endorsement on my existing license, yeah?

If that's true, then would that be accepted in NSW or is it a separate license over there. Would I be better just waiting until I got to Oz before learning?

What is a good bike to look for? If I looked through autotrader I'd probably buy the motorcycle equivalent of a Lada with a bodykit!
Old Jan 7th 2004, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

sigourner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: One for Scutter or other bikies

Not sure about Australia but the CBT is easy. Did mine a few years ago but it took a day and I basically was allowed to retry everything until I got it. I think unless you are a complete muppet they will get you through.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:00 pm
WBB

Originally posted by sigourner
Not sure about Australia but the CBT is easy. Did mine a few years ago but it took a day and I basically was allowed to retry everything until I got it. I think unless you are a complete muppet they will get you through.

yipp. i got mine in an aternoon, easy peasy.

go for it.

Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by welshboybilly
yipp. i got mine in an aternoon, easy peasy.

go for it.
Which of the two tests is that? The one to get the full license, or the one to get out and practice?
Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:04 pm
WBB

Originally posted by CHnJ
Which of the two tests is that? The one to get the full license, or the one to get out and practice?

part 2

i have a full UK bike licence but never owned a bike !!!

mad eh ?

Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:07 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

hi there. sounds like a great idea to me! I mean getting on a bike, if you have to make up a practical excuse to make you feel better then i can live with that. Trust me though once you're on one it's hard to get off them,... well unless you fall off or get knocked off that is. They're not as much fun when that happens!!

I can help you out a bit with the UK licence side, but i haven't the foggiest about getting a licence in NSW. Sorry.

In the UK, you usually have to take a CBT test before you can get on a bike. Once you have your CBT you are entitled to ride a bike up to 125CC or 14.6HP. If you passed your UK car licence before February 1st 2001 (had to look that up! ) you get to ride a 'bike' of up to 50CC without taking your CBT. Trust me though, it's worth taking the CBT, it's dead easy!

if you want to ride anything bigger then you have two options, Direct Access and Restricted Access, or something like that. Basically direct access means you take your full test on a beast of a bike... 46HP! (about 400CC usually). However the fun then starts as you can then go out and buy a real bike of any size or power once you've have your licence!!

the restricted access lets you take your test on a smaller machine, 33HP, but once passed you have to spend the next two years on the same size machine. After that though you get to play with a real bike.

There's a theory test to do as well now, not sure what is involved with that though. i got my licence when you had to just get on a 125cc and take the test. If you passed you could then go and buy anything! (i wanted a CBR1000 as my first bike,... lol i was young then!)

as far as a bike goes, you can't go wrong with anything honda, but most reasonably modern bikes are reliable and solid enough. Some say honda's are boring or not very exciting to ride, but i've had three in my passed and loved every one of them. I actually ended up with a CBR600 for my first, after seeing the insurance quote for the 1000. If you've got the right attitude to riding, then you couldn't pick a better bike to start off with. There's loads of them around, cheap to run, easy to ride and they're bullet proof! Plus there's plenty of power there when you get brave enough to venture up the rev range. Lower down the rev counter they're easy to control and aren't that heavy to handle at slow speeds either.

If i was you though, i'd wait until i get to oz before gettin gmy licence, if only for the fact that it's a damn site easier learning when the weather is dry and sunny! Plus from what everyone says there nobody on the roads to get in your way!

In either event, getting on a bike is one of the best feelings you can have outside the bedroom, actually riding the bike is at least equal.. ok maybe it's me not doing it right then, but it is something you should try if you get the chance... riding the bike i mean.... hope this helped!!

Leigh
Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

part 2

mad eh ?

OK ... bear with me here, I'm dim remember.

You started from scratch on a 1 day course and were able to get a full license at the end of the day? And is that what you did as well sigourner?
Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:10 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

part 2

mad eh ?

what a waste!!
Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

You started from scratch on a 1 day course and were able to get a full license at the end of the day? And is that what you did as well sigourner?

Nah the one day thing allows you to pass the CBT (the first part). I then did an intensive course for a couple of days and passed the main test first time, honestly really easy!
Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:11 pm
WBB

looking at scutters post things must of changed since i did mine (1990) i did the CBT (2 hours) and then the same day went out on the road on a 125cc followed by an examiner with a radio headset linking us, passed that and now have a full licence.

thats all i know really, i have never been on a bike since taking my test!!!!!

Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:12 pm
life begins again...

I took and passed my full licence over three days and then a morning for the test. that was an intensive course, and it rains for everyone of them! the CBT took a morning, the rest of the time was spend trundling round lincoln on a little 125... aaaaahhh... i hated that bike! lol
Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I guess I'll learn in Oz as it makes more sense and I'll have time too ... hmm then again I could scrap my car and get a bike in the spring ...
Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:15 pm
life begins again...

Thanks guys. I guess I'll learn in Oz as it makes more sense and I'll have time too ... hmm then again I could scrap my car and get a bike in the spring ...
when will you be going to oz?
Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by scutterUK
when will you be going to oz?
October next year ...

agh! no! it's this year now!!!!

October. So if I bought a bike that would get me legal here, then it would mean I could practice and not fork out £30 a week in fuel and road tax etc. for my ageing tank of a car. Get a good summer out of the bike, and flog it again before I go.

I'm liking this idea more and more. The only thing is I'd be tempted to go the lazy route and get a twist'n'go thing and wear a parka to save on the cost of leathers!!!
Old Jan 7th 2004, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Go for it! Any experience over here will only give you more confidence for taking your test over in Oz. Anyway the twist and go things can be a bit of a laugh, we managed to get five on one up in Aberdeen before it got nicked!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.