Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One more for Oz!

One more for Oz!

Old May 11th 2008, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Martin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really nice
Default One more for Oz!

Well, first post for me folks, apologies but havent long found this site. Looks ideal for fishing out the info i need.

We visited MEL last year to suss out the option of moving with my company who have offices in Canterbury. Lovely part of the world.

We loved it. I stayed behind while my wife went home to soak up as much as i could before we made a decision.

Long story short, we should have moved last year, but work commitments changed and we are now looking at this year. For definite. Aug 1st possibly with the family following on shortly afterwards.

We have been given a nice relocation package by the business, over £20K, plus they will pay for visas and med screening.

Im in IT just for the record.

My query is, my wife is having 2nd and 3rd thoughts about the whole thing, wheras i am desperate to go. i know i can convince her, but the eldest daughter of almost 18, has said she wont come with us. there is a younger daughter also of 14 who would be.

anyone dealt with leaving kids behind?

we're also looking to rent for a year or so then look to buy with around £250K sterling to play with when buying.

Im also thinking of shipping my car as it seems cheaper than buying.

(blimey this is a long post!)

family wise and area wise, i dont want to be too far from the CBD, wehave been looking at St Kilda and further afield also. My colleagues stay in Windsor and also in the city so we had a good feel for the areas when we were there last year.

are there any standout quiet leafy suburbs which would be perfect for some 40 something parents and kid/s?

No doubt more to follow!

Great site BTW!
Old May 12th 2008, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One more for Oz!

Can't really help with any specific info as I'm in Sydney.

Bumping this as lots of people on here are in Melbourne and able to answer your questions.
Old May 12th 2008, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Martin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really nice

Thanks Nicky. Looking forward to some advice!
Old May 12th 2008, 1:24 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of folk have had to leave older children behind, and some have had to leave little ones as well. Try a search on it, no one has the definitive answer though obviously, one thing they all agree on is how heart breaking it is and how over the moon they are when the kids come over for a visit and decide they want to stay.

As for the car, it's definitely not cheaper to do unless you have something amazing you can't live without. This thread is very useful but there are others as well.