Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One Month and Bit in - Update

One Month and Bit in - Update

Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:32 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute
Default One Month and Bit in - Update

I havent done an update for you guys yet, so indulge me for a minute and let me fill you in.

We arrived on 8th June and stayed with Dans Dad for a week and a bit, then moved into our own place in Thirroul, north of Wollongong NSW. It is such a beautiful part of the country, the surrounding areas are great and views from Stanwell tops lookout and Bulli lookout are just breathtaking.

We are still furnitureless. We went to Ikea and got the essentials, but our container will not get to Sydney until 6th August, then it could be another couple of weeks in customs. We saw some deckchairs in a local shop, and thought yeah they look comfy. Believe me after a month, they arent. I want my sofas back!!

I start work next week. I will be working at a company owned by Wollongong Uni, 15 minutes to drive there in the morning, so no long commute. Heaven. I have to figure out how to get back home though, I got lost on my way back from the interview and ended up the other side of Wollongong

Dan is still looking for work, he had some good interviews last week, and feels positive that one of them will come off.

We have both had to settle for less money that we wanted, but its no big deal, we will be able to pay the bills and save too, so I am not concerned. We didnt have to drop too much though.

We have managed to get a full time nursery place for Harry. It looked a bit bleak when we moved here, as everywhere had long waiting lists. Luckily the child care centre round the road came up with a place for us. He started yesterday, and loves it. I think he is happy to have other kids to play with.

The house we have rented is great, and we have really lovely neighbours, and have started to meet other people too. You get a bit complacent in the UK when you have all your friends around you, its not until you get here that you realise you are going to have to strike up conversations with complete strangers in order to meet people.

We bought a Holden Astra after about a week being here. I love it. For some reason I never contemplated buying one in the UK, but its the best car I have had. Not hard really, the only other car I have had is a Clio!! Its Automatic and goes like a rocket, its just a shame that the speed limits wont let me put my foot down too much. I love driving here, I hated it in the UK, but my confidence in the car has grown so much in the last month. No more hesitation, I am overtaking and undertaking like a pro

I am loving it here at the moment. I have had a few low moments, wandering if we have done the right thing, but all in all I would say we have. Harry has blossomed, loves his Ozzy family, and his speech is coming on great guns, His speech was limited in the UK, but he is like a parrot after ony 5-6 weeks.

It is worth the hassle with the house sale, and long wait for paperwork to get sorted.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:55 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One Month and Bit in - Update

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen
I havent done an update for you guys yet, so indulge me for a minute and let me fill you in.
Nice one guys - not far up the coast from us then! We love Stanwell Tops too - just incredible views.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen

We arrived on 8th June and stayed with Dans Dad for a week and a bit, then moved into our own place in Thirroul, north of Wollongong NSW. It is such a beautiful part of the country, the surrounding areas are great and views from Stanwell tops lookout and Bulli lookout are just breathtaking.

We are still furnitureless. We went to Ikea and got the essentials, but our container will not get to Sydney until 6th August, then it could be another couple of weeks in customs. We saw some deckchairs in a local shop, and thought yeah they look comfy. Believe me after a month, they arent. I want my sofas back!!

I start work next week. I will be working at a company owned by Wollongong Uni, 15 minutes to drive there in the morning, so no long commute. Heaven. I have to figure out how to get back home though, I got lost on my way back from the interview and ended up the other side of Wollongong

Dan is still looking for work, he had some good interviews last week, and feels positive that one of them will come off.

We have both had to settle for less money that we wanted, but its no big deal, we will be able to pay the bills and save too, so I am not concerned. We didnt have to drop too much though.

We have managed to get a full time nursery place for Harry. It looked a bit bleak when we moved here, as everywhere had long waiting lists. Luckily the child care centre round the road came up with a place for us. He started yesterday, and loves it. I think he is happy to have other kids to play with.

The house we have rented is great, and we have really lovely neighbours, and have started to meet other people too. You get a bit complacent in the UK when you have all your friends around you, its not until you get here that you realise you are going to have to strike up conversations with complete strangers in order to meet people.

We bought a Holden Astra after about a week being here. I love it. For some reason I never contemplated buying one in the UK, but its the best car I have had. Not hard really, the only other car I have had is a Clio!! Its Automatic and goes like a rocket, its just a shame that the speed limits wont let me put my foot down too much. I love driving here, I hated it in the UK, but my confidence in the car has grown so much in the last month. No more hesitation, I am overtaking and undertaking like a pro

I am loving it here at the moment. I have had a few low moments, wandering if we have done the right thing, but all in all I would say we have. Harry has blossomed, loves his Ozzy family, and his speech is coming on great guns, His speech was limited in the UK, but he is like a parrot after ony 5-6 weeks.

It is worth the hassle with the house sale, and long wait for paperwork to get sorted.

It doesn't seem like 5 mins since you were flying out to oz.
Im glad things are going ok for you
Mandy
Old Jul 17th 2006, 11:03 pm
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute

lovely post - -glad things are going well for you

xRachx
Old Jul 18th 2006, 4:23 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Nice one guys - not far up the coast from us then! We love Stanwell Tops too - just incredible views.
I was watching the handgliders jumps off last week. I would love to give it a go. I just need the courage to jump off a cliff with a kite strapped to my back!!! :scared:
Old Jul 18th 2006, 7:39 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Great post...............glad you are settling into your new life and enjoying it

Loz x
Old Jul 18th 2006, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Great post. Glad everything is going Ok and you have settled in well.