Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One last trip to B&Q!

One last trip to B&Q!

Old Mar 9th 2006, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

guru j will become famous soon enoughguru j will become famous soon enough
Default One last trip to B&Q!

Just wanted to know if anyone wished that they had stocked up at B&Q before they left?If you did what did you bulk up on,if you didn't what do you wish you had taken?I will be paying a visit later on to the trusty store and i am presently taking orders what would you like?
Old Mar 11th 2006, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all
Default Re: One last trip to B&Q!

Originally Posted by guru j
Just wanted to know if anyone wished that they had stocked up at B&Q before they left?If you did what did you bulk up on,if you didn't what do you wish you had taken?I will be paying a visit later on to the trusty store and i am presently taking orders what would you like?
I had the same thing about leaving WIKES (or similar) we stayed at a caravan park for a while and the only place I could get mobile reception was in the car park of BUNNINGS, like B&Q, WIKES etc all rolled into one.That was in 2000 now we live near Caloundra where they are currently building a new BUNNINGS!!!!!!!!! supposed to be the biggest in QLD. I already have my list of wants when it opens.
To be honest I have found the tools to be cheaper here anyway so the only thing I would miss from B@Q was the Pensioner Thursdays when I would get pushed out of the way by a little old lady carrying her circular saw and her discount card :scared:
Old Mar 11th 2006, 4:35 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

We missed B & Q and Wicks badly (we thought) particualarly the cost of paint here in australia but having used Bunnings a lot and visiting UK recently to redecorate our flat and sell it I find that we do not miss B & Q at all - Bunnings is much cheaper for everything else and the staff are friendlier.
The paint in australia is ALL WHITE and you have the colour of your choice added (like Dulux colourchart) but all paint can be coloured not just the white paint of THAT PARTICULAR manufacturer. When we were in uk they had white dulux cheap £10 big can but WOULD NOT colour it I had to buy the sam e size same paint in colour at £28.50 So Bunnings we love you.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Don't you think that b&q and bunnings are the same in virtually everything they stock to the lay out of the store. Even the adverts are the same with people from within the store doing the add.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:53 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenjc
Don't you think that b&q and bunnings are the same in virtually everything they stock to the lay out of the store. Even the adverts are the same with people from within the store doing the add.
Yep I'm sure they're the same company as all their own brand tools are exactly the same.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 8:22 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenjc
Except the staff at Bunnings aren't rude and incompetent. Both have stock all over the place and no prices on half their lines though
Old Mar 11th 2006, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

Originally Posted by worzel
Except the staff at Bunnings aren't rude and incompetent. Both have stock all over the place and no prices on half their lines though
Dont forget that bunnings also do the free trailer hire, I cant remember if B&Q did that, also do the free seminars ie tools or How to shows.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 11:37 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

<whispers>psst.....is Arkon coming in on this one, do you think? He's bound to have an opinion.....
Old Mar 12th 2006, 2:13 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
<whispers>psst.....is Arkon coming in on this one, do you think? He's bound to have an opinion.....
We think Bunnings is great - compared to B&Q.

Our only gripe - if you are at the "outdoor leisure" section and need a piece of wood down the other end of the hangar - its almost a helicopter ride to get there.

The prices are good though - and my other half says the cleaning products are even cheaper than Big W etc

Jim
Old Mar 12th 2006, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

The Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of light

I've just got a job at Bunnings, they didn't mention that i had to be nice to people and competent too!! Hope they have a good training programme Sue
Old Mar 12th 2006, 5:34 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

YES!! Bring a shed load of decent NON Chineese screws and nails of all sizes. The one's here are made of plastecene and can't be bashed or screwed into hardwood without shearing. Also bring a load of decent drill bits! Oh and screwdrivers...sod it buy the lot, Just avoid chinese stuff. There are 2 qualites of Chinese things good and very poor, Unfortunately this market is so tight the populace won't pay the price for good quality so the shops mostly only stock the cheaper made of shite versions. You have all been warned!
Old Mar 12th 2006, 6:49 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
What was that you whispered ?

Old Mar 12th 2006, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by arkon
YES!! Bring a shed load of decent NON Chineese screws and nails of all sizes. The one's here are made of plastecene and can't be bashed or screwed into hardwood without shearing. Also bring a load of decent drill bits! Oh and screwdrivers...sod it buy the lot, Just avoid chinese stuff. There are 2 qualites of Chinese things good and very poor, Unfortunately this market is so tight the populace won't pay the price for good quality so the shops mostly only stock the cheaper made of shite versions. You have all been warned!
Arkon, you appear to have something against Chinese screws the ones that I have had the pleasure of meeting have always been fair. They gave me my bread and water 3 times daily and let me out for exercise!
Old Mar 13th 2006, 6:50 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mandy&Cliff
Arkon, you appear to have something against Chinese screws the ones that I have had the pleasure of meeting have always been fair. They gave me my bread and water 3 times daily and let me out for exercise!
The only Chinese screws I've heard of were a long time ago during my Royal Navy service and seemed to involve certain ladies in Hong Kong - so I was informed of course.

Sorry for the diversion - couldn't resist it.

Jim
Old Mar 13th 2006, 7:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I don't miss B&Q but I miss Screwfix. We get reamed big time here for hardware & electrical parts. Example, a plug top, 50p at my local electrical store (45p Screwfix), $4 here. A 1 gang 1 way switch, 30p Screwfix, $5 here. Decent, low cost screws don't exist. I'd stock up on everything. Bunnings has a few things that are cheaper, but most things are a rip off. Unfortunately they've cornered the market.