Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One for the Ladies

One for the Ladies

Old Sep 19th 2003, 5:36 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default One for the Ladies

Ok you might all be marvelous about this but I wasn't so for any wishy washy types like me!

I finally got the courage up to go for a smear test here. I Hates the whole process in the UK and worked on the basis of ignorance is best and embarassment after going for one and being told it was not five years yet go home!

So being a grown up now who managed to change countries, I went this week - absolutely brilliant service. Told I would now be put on the list to get notice every 2 years? (Is this normal everywhere in oz?) I need a follow up exam, phoned today, booked in for next Wednesday, asked what time would suit me! Going to pay 250 for this and a claim back from medicare.

Anyway.... over, but it was one of the bits of information I would loved to have known about before I went and not having any close female friends to ask I made it all so much worse for myself...but I do know now!

I am sure I will get some smart replies from the men - but can they tell me about the standards for routine prostrate tests please? I have a husband I would like to inform!! (I want him to understand why I do not like smear tests).

Cheers
Old Sep 19th 2003, 5:43 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sandra, 2 years is normal here, unless you are considered to be in an "at risk" group in which case its every year & yes they have a central register that will send you a reminder when its due. Its certainly not pleasant, but then after having kids, my attitude is like "Yeah, whatever, just tell me when its over & I can put my clothes back on ".
Old Sep 19th 2003, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: One for the Ladies

Originally posted by Sandra
I am sure I will get some smart replies from the men - but can they tell me about the standards for routine prostrate tests please? I have a husband I would like to inform!! (I want him to understand why I do not like smear tests).
Cheers
Some prostate info here for the boys. http://www.nswcc.org.au/editorial.asp?pageid=358

Can’t find a reference, but I thought annual screening after age 40 is recommended, but perhaps someone can confirm this.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

It is 2 years in the UK as well, unless you have had any prior problems.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 5:51 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tinaj
It is 2 years in the UK as well, unless you have had any prior problems.
2 years from the age of ??? I was 24 when I had my first...allbeit that was 14 years ago and a bit plus. But I do know in my health area I was told to go away when I tried to have a smear test at 33 ....just 4 years and 6 months after birth of daughter.

I hate the things, I hate any examination, just me I possibly know....but I like the way I was treated here.

Cheers
Old Sep 19th 2003, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: One for the Ladies

Originally posted by Sandra
Ok you might all be marvelous about this but I wasn't so for any wishy washy types like me!

I finally got the courage up to go for a smear test here. I Hates the whole process in the UK and worked on the basis of ignorance is best and embarassment after going for one and being told it was not five years yet go home!

So being a grown up now who managed to change countries, I went this week - absolutely brilliant service. Told I would now be put on the list to get notice every 2 years? (Is this normal everywhere in oz?) I need a follow up exam, phoned today, booked in for next Wednesday, asked what time would suit me! Going to pay 250 for this and a claim back from medicare.

Anyway.... over, but it was one of the bits of information I would loved to have known about before I went and not having any close female friends to ask I made it all so much worse for myself...but I do know now!

Cheers
I have a smear every year here, had abnormal cells removed some years ago!
nearly getting used to them now!
glad that yours went 'well'
with regards
rach
Old Sep 19th 2003, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

i work on acute womens health ward, breast and gynae bits, 3 years in uk for normal smear testing, nothing to be embarrassed or worried about

go girls and get your tested, also stress the importance of breast self examination, look in the mirror every month see if anything changes, if in doubt go to your gp and ask advice on how to self examine, the earlier detected the better

arlene
Old Sep 19th 2003, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Boobs

Originally posted by arlene
i work on acute womens health ward, breast and gynae bits, 3 years in uk for normal smear testing, nothing to be embarrassed or worried about

go girls and get your tested, also stress the importance of breast self examination, look in the mirror every month see if anything changes, if in doubt go to your gp and ask advice on how to self examine, the earlier detected the better

arlene
Hi Arlene
just to let you know i check my boobs every night after my bath, really worried about breast cancer, i had a mamogram last year as i 'leak' from my left have done for years now but thankfully they didn't show anything wrong
great advice mate, there is nothing at all to be embarrassed about girls
rach x
Old Sep 19th 2003, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

suffolkdiva is an unknown quantity at this point

So how close an eye do they keep on you for breast checks?

My Mum died 4 years ago of breast cancer at a young age. I had a lump last year, which turned out to be a cyst. Kind of wanted the hospital to keep a closer check on me than usual but was told that with all the cost cuts, they felt it was better just to call in if I ever felt another lump.

Perhaps it's me, but I thought prevention was better than cure sometimes.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by suffolkdiva
So how close an eye do they keep on you for breast checks?

My Mum died 4 years ago of breast cancer at a young age. I had a lump last year, which turned out to be a cyst. Kind of wanted the hospital to keep a closer check on me than usual but was told that with all the cost cuts, they felt it was better just to call in if I ever felt another lump.

Perhaps it's me, but I thought prevention was better than cure sometimes.

do you know sometimes u have to push against the system and fight for your right, perhaps i shouldnt be saying this but if you are worried you have the right with your family history to insist on a mamogram reguarly

like i said examine examine examine, get your partners to do it as well to you, cannot stress enough hits women of all ages

arlene