Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

one for the experts???

one for the experts???

Old Mar 28th 2005, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

sarah & mark has a spectacular aura aboutsarah & mark has a spectacular aura aboutsarah & mark has a spectacular aura about
Default one for the experts???

Hi all,

I may have asked you this before.

My mum is migrating with us on a contriutory parent visa. We live in England at the moment. She is concerned about her UK state penssion (the one you get aged 65 +). She wants to know if she will get it in Australia. If so how is it paid 2 you in Australia & what was the procedure you went thru to get it?

I really need to find this out.

Any help appriciated. Thanx.

Sarah.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 12:45 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: one for the experts???

Originally Posted by sarah & mark
Hi all,

I may have asked you this before.

My mum is migrating with us on a contriutory parent visa. We live in England at the moment. She is concerned about her UK state penssion (the one you get aged 65 +). She wants to know if she will get it in Australia. If so how is it paid 2 you in Australia & what was the procedure you went thru to get it?

I really need to find this out.

Any help appriciated. Thanx.

Sarah.
She can get it paid into a UK bank account (I think) but it will be frozen at the rate it is at when she migrates.
It will not be index linked.
Look here:
http://www.completeframing.com.au/BPIA/

Not sure how you arrange for it to be paid.

G
Old Mar 28th 2005, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
She can get it paid into a UK bank account (I think) but it will be frozen at the rate it is at when she migrates.
It will not be index linked.
Look here:
http://www.completeframing.com.au/BPIA/

Not sure how you arrange for it to be paid.

G
If its paid into a UK bank account, then she can withdraw it here using a Debit card from her UK bank either from cash machines, or EFTPOS (Electronic Financial Transaction Point Of Sale, i.e. use her card at supermarket tills, and get cash out at the same time).

You'll need to contact your UK bank to find out what charges they make for overseas transactions. Some are better than others, some don't charge for Visa Debit, some don't charge for EFTPOS, but all charge for cash machine withdrawals, as far as I'm aware.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Mar 28th 2005, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

sarah & mark has a spectacular aura aboutsarah & mark has a spectacular aura aboutsarah & mark has a spectacular aura about

At the moment she gets it from the post office with one of them card thingis.

She is wanting to be able to do something along the lines of this in Australia, wether it is from an australian bank, post office ect.

There must be an option to be able to do this surley?????

Thank you,

Sarah.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: one for the experts???

She is wanting to be able to do something along the lines of this in Australia, wether it is from an australian bank, post office ect.

Thank you,

Sarah.
Hi

My father lives in Australia andm he gets an English pension as well as an Australian one. It is paid directly into his bank account.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Do you know the procedure of what he did to get it paid to him in Australia???

Thank you, Sarah.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 3:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Not necessarily if the pension is being paid in the UK.

The easiest way is likely to be to have it paid into a UK bank account and then transferred to an Australian account. In order to keep charges down you may want to do the transfer only once every 3-4 months or so.

Jeremy
Old Mar 28th 2005, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

So assuming that she gets it put in to an english bank account then transfers it to an Australian one would it then be frozen? The way I thought it worked was it was frozen if it was paid direct to her in Australia. So if it is still going into an english account then it wont be frozen?? Is this correct??

Thank you Sarah.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 4:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

So assuming that she gets it put in to an english bank account then transfers it to an Australian one would it then be frozen? The way I thought it worked was it was frozen if it was paid direct to her in Australia. So if it is still going into an english account then it wont be frozen?? Is this correct??

Thank you Sarah.

As far as I'm aware it's frozen if she's resident in Australia. Irrespective of the method of payment. But do check this at source.

Jeremy
Old Mar 28th 2005, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Will do JAJ, & thank you all for the advice.

Cheers, Sarah.