Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One down, three to go

Wikiposts

One down, three to go

Old Jul 27th 2005, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of
Default Re: One down, three to go

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
We have just heard from our agent in Adelaide that the ICAA (accountant assessing body) have just accepted hubbys accountant qualifications, meaning we can now lodge our application with the DIMIA.

We have known that the assessment was completed for a week but didn't know the outcome til now so we are really relieved.

Now all we have to do is get the PR visa and sell our house (my bet is that we get the visa before we sell our house )

Hang in there everyone, it will come eventually.

Sarah
Excellent news...from one accountant to another....join the waiting club!!!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sonictigger
Excellent news...from one accountant to another....join the waiting club!!!
I have just seen your ticker and it says 4 months, 1 week - that is really worrying. We have met quite a few accountants who have had their visas approved within 2-3 months. Are you a chartered accounant. Our agent said we should have our visa by the end of the year and we are hoping to be in Melbourn by January 2006 (but then again, best laid plans and all that... )
Old Jul 28th 2005, 10:17 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just seen your ticker and it says 4 months, 1 week - that is really worrying. We have met quite a few accountants who have had their visas approved within 2-3 months. Are you a chartered accounant. Our agent said we should have our visa by the end of the year and we are hoping to be in Melbourn by January 2006 (but then again, best laid plans and all that... )
I think and hope that when they do sort out the reorganisation at DIMIA it should speed up
Old Jul 28th 2005, 8:00 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Times do go up and down. I was unlucky with my skills assessment through ICAA as it took 11 weeks when others got it in that many days. But then we got our visa in April after 11 weeks while the current waiting times are more like 17 weeks.

As P4Me said, there are stories of reorgs, switching staff to clear the backlog of pre-Jul 04 applicants, achieving the 04/05 quota before the end of the year (June) causing a delay etc etc.

Try to think of it that you will be heading out in something like 12 months (via ICAA) so a few weeks is neither here nor there. Also try and remember that if you had applied 12 months earlier the waiting time for visas was about 50 weeks!
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by worzel
Times do go up and down. I was unlucky with my skills assessment through ICAA as it took 11 weeks when others got it in that many days. But then we got our visa in April after 11 weeks while the current waiting times are more like 17 weeks.

As P4Me said, there are stories of reorgs, switching staff to clear the backlog of pre-Jul 04 applicants, achieving the 04/05 quota before the end of the year (June) causing a delay etc etc.

Try to think of it that you will be heading out in something like 12 months (via ICAA) so a few weeks is neither here nor there. Also try and remember that if you had applied 12 months earlier the waiting time for visas was about 50 weeks!
Point taken. We were just hoping to be there for the beginning of the school year in January/February simply because we feel that such a big move is difficult enough for the children, it would be nice for them to start on the first day of school where there are bound to be other new children and also new teachers & classrooms for everyone. But if we don't get to go then, there will be nothing we can do, so we will just have to accept it, I suppose.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:57 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Point taken. We were just hoping to be there for the beginning of the school year in January/February simply because we feel that such a big move is difficult enough for the children, it would be nice for them to start on the first day of school where there are bound to be other new children and also new teachers & classrooms for everyone. But if we don't get to go then, there will be nothing we can do, so we will just have to accept it, I suppose.
Good point. Our daughter is in the first week of the school hols now. But in 6 weeks time she won't be going back as we will be constantly moving around the UK staying with friends and family. Once we arrive in Perth (mid-Oct) we will be another 3 weeks before we know which suburb we will settle in by which time it is only 4 weeks until the Aussie school holidays. So at best she will be out of school for 4 months and if we don't start her until the new year it will be 6 months.

Her teacher suggested we get her some SATS exercise books from bookshops to keep her up to date otherwise she will forget everything she has learnt. The social interaction with kids her own age is a major issue too.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of

We didn't front load our Meds/PCC's, a lot of others did. I'm ACMA, so yes Chartered, but were are happy with the timeline as we are not looking at going until March 06 and when we started thinking and looking at Oz it was over a year. Am hoping we get it by Sept and then we have the house to sell, don't want to put it on the market until we have the visa.