Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

one for the bikers, hot and sweaty in leather?

one for the bikers, hot and sweaty in leather?

Old Jan 15th 2004, 11:59 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default one for the bikers, hot and sweaty in leather?

Hi folks.

Reading all the posts recently about the hot weather, missing being out on the bike and sat here in damp and depressing doncaster inspired the thought of what to wear while i'm out on the bike in oz.

My plans are these. Move to oz with enough dosh to buy a new bike, and stuff the car completely. ill be riding around in all weather, all year at all times. Wet, cold and icey weather i can handle (hey i'm from the UK it's second nature!!) but i'm not so sure about the heat.

Nice black leathers are a definite no, but are the textile jackets/leggins any better? I've seen the summer jackets you can buy so i pressume they'd be up to the job. Also getting a pair of armoured jeans would be a cool(er) idea.

Any advice from you hardened ozzie bikers out there?

vroom vroom

leigh
Old Jan 15th 2004, 12:03 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

back to your leather fetish again, scutter!

Old Jan 15th 2004, 12:04 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: one for the bikers, hot and sweaty in leather?

Originally posted by scutterUK
Hi folks.

Reading all the posts recently about the hot weather, missing being out on the bike and sat here in damp and depressing doncaster inspired the thought of what to wear while i'm out on the bike in oz.

My plans are these. Move to oz with enough dosh to buy a new bike, and stuff the car completely. ill be riding around in all weather, all year at all times. Wet, cold and icey weather i can handle (hey i'm from the UK it's second nature!!) but i'm not so sure about the heat.

Nice black leathers are a definite no, but are the textile jackets/leggins any better? I've seen the summer jackets you can buy so i pressume they'd be up to the job. Also getting a pair of armoured jeans would be a cool(er) idea.

vroom vroom

leigh
Treadly?
Old Jan 15th 2004, 12:15 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by Pollster
back to your leather fetish again, scutter!

SHHHH!!!! i knew i shouldn't have said anything last night.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 12:16 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

I won't mention the tutu, then
Old Jan 15th 2004, 12:16 pm
life begins again...

Originally posted by Megalania
Treadly?

treadly?
Old Jan 15th 2004, 12:17 pm
life begins again...

Originally posted by Pollster
I won't mention the tutu, then

you should see me in the leather one!! OOPS! no i didn't say that!
Old Jan 15th 2004, 12:25 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

treadly?
Not Horse Powered.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 12:27 pm
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Hiya,

I ride a bike and have had similar thoughts. I've made friends online with some bikers out there, and have been told that if you do wear a set of full leathers, you're seen as a 'boy racer' and thats supposed to be totally uncool. It seems they think its perfectly acceptable to ride in a pair of lace up boots, jeans, a leather jacket and helmet. On my last trip over there I even saw one bloke wearing a helmet with the traditional singlet, shorts and thongs!
Personally, Im gonna invest in a set of proper summer leathers or the armoured jeans (as you suggested). I like Australian roads, but I'd rather not have my body parts spread all over them if I happen to come off while dodging a kangaroo!

W.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 12:40 pm
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough

Hi, I ride a Bandit here in the UK (not 'arse bandit' before all the clever dicks start laughing ) and have seen and heard of enough injuries to pursuade me to always wear leathers.

Start life in Oz up in Darwin though, so reckon it'll be way too hot for leathers. Think I'll have to relax on the scratching and get something I can ride at an easier pace.

Scutter, you gonna sell the nice Beemer, or take it with you?
Old Jan 15th 2004, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

mh929 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by loose
Think I'll have to relax on the scratching and get something I can ride at an easier pace.
Yeah, know what you mean. I ride a Blade here in the UK and am seriously thinking about changing to something much more sedate in Aus. A cruiser or something would seem to fit the lifestyle a bit better - especially as the cops seem a bit hot on the speed thing.

I reckon textile jacket/armoured jeans are the way to go.....
Old Jan 15th 2004, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

krissy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks.

vroom vroom

leigh
Hiya,

While we are on the subject of bikes. Me and other half are hoping to emigrate to Melbourne later this year.
He has a Yamaha FZR 600R and will be selling it before we come over. He wanted me to make contact with any bikers over in Melbourne or those on their way.
He will no doubt be buying another bike when we get settled and wanted to know about the bike scene over there.
Any ideas?

Kris
Old Jan 15th 2004, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Having gone ar*e over apex too many times to remember ...you will not find me on a bike without my leathers and they include back, knee, hip and elbow protectors.
Scutter if you're too hot in leathers............you ain't goin' fast enough mate
On a serious note though have a trip down to Lincoln to the Heine Gerick shop and check out the Kevlar jeans and also they do a good range of ventilated leathers but for gawd's sake don't get a 1 piece.

I also have spent the time waiting for the visa/house sale in cultivating cyber friends with a bunch of guys/gals in Oz and most of them seem to prefer Drizabone jackets.
Drop me a pm if you want the site address for the group
Old Jan 15th 2004, 1:28 pm
life begins again...

Originally posted by Megalania
Not Horse Powered.

aaahhh...i think i know what you mean... sort of. no a gruntly in that case.

i wouldn't dream of going far without anything to protect my hide. The way i see it, if the rides short enough for you to question whether it's worth putting leathers on, then it's not worth getting the bike out... and i wouldn't dream of going out in a thong just to walk down the drive!!!

You can get some pretty good summer gear now, thin textile jackets, ankle boots, armoured jeans etc that has all been rated and crash tested. I think it'll be just a case of getting two lots of gear, winter and summer. I know we can just about manage over here, but it'll be different over there.

Loose, the beemer or going to be sold... I'll miss her, but the value of it over there, plus shipping and all the other extras just don't justify the further expense. Besides, there's a bmw dealer in canberra, and the new R1200GS is out next year so i'm hoping to replace it some one of those!! (hopefully).

One reason why i bought the beemer was to slow me down a bit. Not for knee down purposes though, but licence preservation purposes!

DO you ride the 600 or 1200 bandit? Nearly bought one before the beemer came along.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 1:33 pm
life begins again...

Originally posted by Rossi
Having gone ar*e over apex too many times to remember ...you will not find me on a bike without my leathers and they include back, knee, hip and elbow protectors.
Scutter if you're too hot in leathers............you ain't goin' fast enough mate
On a serious note though have a trip down to Lincoln to the Heine Gerick shop and check out the Kevlar jeans and also they do a good range of ventilated leathers but for gawd's sake don't get a 1 piece.

I also have spent the time waiting for the visa/house sale in cultivating cyber friends with a bunch of guys/gals in Oz and most of them seem to prefer Drizabone jackets.
Drop me a pm if you want the site address for the group

...well i used to manage ok with the cbr and leathers, but this bluddy beemer comes with two foot warmers that you can't turn off! Great in this weather but i think it'll be a bugger in OZ! Heine Gerick do some pretty good kit. There's one here in donny which i discovered the other day while i was getting lost!

wonder if there's any expat-biker groups out there! lol. might be worth starting something. (not that anyone's going to canberra!!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.