Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

one for the bikers, hot and sweaty in leather?

one for the bikers, hot and sweaty in leather?

Old Jan 17th 2004, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future
Default Re: one for the bikers, hot and sweaty in leather?

Originally posted by scutterUK
Hi folks.

Reading all the posts recently about the hot weather, missing being out on the bike and sat here in damp and depressing doncaster inspired the thought of what to wear while i'm out on the bike in oz.

My plans are these. Move to oz with enough dosh to buy a new bike, and stuff the car completely. ill be riding around in all weather, all year at all times. Wet, cold and icey weather i can handle (hey i'm from the UK it's second nature!!) but i'm not so sure about the heat.

Nice black leathers are a definite no, but are the textile jackets/leggins any better? I've seen the summer jackets you can buy so i pressume they'd be up to the job. Also getting a pair of armoured jeans would be a cool(er) idea.

Any advice from you hardened ozzie bikers out there?

vroom vroom

leigh

My Hubbie has a Harly Davidson Softail would ride it in the snow if I let him. you need the leather for some protection but they can be hot I know.......
Old Jan 17th 2004, 9:20 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by jeannie
My Hubbie has a Harly Davidson Softail would ride it in the snow if I let him. you need the leather for some protection but they can be hot I know.......

if i had a harley i'd leave it in the garage, keep it clean, and sit on it just reving the engine when the weather's damp.. ......mmmmm burble burble...
Old Jan 17th 2004, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Gibson will become famous soon enough

My hubby has a kawasaki ZX6, he rides it what ever the weather ( I have the car he doesn't have a choice)!

yes it is hot, very hot for him, he wears a summer armoured jacket, helmet and gloves and of course - jeans! Even the police over here ride with a t-shirt on - crazy or what! As for speeding apparently the trick is - this is for speed cameras only - your licence on the back of yuor bike will move over the top of your rego plate - naughty but nice......... they can't get you.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by scutterUK
if i had a harley i'd leave it in the garage, keep it clean, and sit on it just reving the engine when the weather's damp.. ......mmmmm burble burble...
The man is mad... has no idea what polish and cleaning rags are for except when it comes to his Harley...
We had an acident once just a minor one, but we both came off the bike.. (1100 Harley dresser)....... I looked over to..... MY MAN... and he was running over to his BIKE.....
Old Jan 17th 2004, 11:15 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by jeannie
The man is mad... has no idea what polish and cleaning rags are for except when it comes to his Harley...
We had an acident once just a minor one, but we both came off the bike.. (1100 Harley dresser)....... I looked over to..... MY MAN... and he was running over to his BIKE.....
LOL, it sounds like he's got his head screwed on the right way... i hope all three of you came out of it with out too many dents and scratches.
Old Jan 18th 2004, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

g and l is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe a little off topic, but are the speed restrictions enforced that much in Oz?, more than in the UK?

I was considering getting a new bike when we get over there, but maybe it may aswell be the peddled variety.
Old Jan 18th 2004, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Gibson will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by g and l
Maybe a little off topic, but are the speed restrictions enforced that much in Oz?, more than in the UK?

I was considering getting a new bike when we get over there, but maybe it may aswell be the peddled variety.
Sorry to dissappoint you but it's not only speeding; all traffic offences are enforced beyond belief over here! On bank holidays, if you get nicked you get DOUBLE DEMERIT POINTS for gods sake - who's idea was that!! It does tend to hamper your fun a little, always keeping an eye out for the boys in blue! There are more mobile speed cameras over here than you have ever thought possible, but if you pass one at 150plus they don't go off - Apparently!

As for what to wear, protective gear is a little uncomfortable in the heat, but if it saves your life it's worth it! I see too many riders over here in shorts & t- shirts only - and it's scary. Going fast in the heat by the way only gets you hotter quicker - point a hair dryer directly into your face for an example of the feeling! Visors down at all times!

All said and done though, all year round riding weather and some unbelievable roads to ride: you can't complain can you!
Old Jan 18th 2004, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

shedu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cadman
How about e-bay?
As long as you set a reserve price you're comfortable with you'll be Ok.
If it doesn't reach the reserve it doesn't sell.
Might be worth a try, but as you know, winter ain't the time to sell a bike.
Many thanks for all the replies -

I thought about e-bay but was kinda worried about the possibility of being fleeced - anyone got any thoughts about that. I hear you can arrange payment through a third party set up who don't release the funds until all parties are satisfied?? The way things are going I will give anything and everything a try.

She will be such a bargain to whoever gets her but as you say the problem is no-one wants to buy in the middle of a miserable UK winter so are not even looking at the adverts.

I told him time & time & time again to get it done last summer but you know what you blokes are like. Perhaps God (or someone) is telling us to take her with us but I hear thats not such a good idea.

Mmmmm back to thinking cap .....
Old Jan 18th 2004, 5:53 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Know nothing about bikes except that they keep driving up behind me with their headlights on making my dog bark at them ( not having a go! ) but I do know about ebay.

No chance of getting fleeced - they don't get the bike til they have paid.

If someone wins the auction you can give them say a week to cough up - if they haven;t paid by then just reauction it.

Hubby does a bit of buying and selling on ebay and hasn't had any major problems

(if you want to know more the ins and outs of it all, PM me shedu and I'll get hubby to fill you in)
Old Jan 21st 2004, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

shedu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default selling the Kwak

Hi Guys,

I don't want to tempt fate by speaking too soon but I think, hope & pray we have sold the bike.

If this comes off it is all down to one of you guys who put me onto the admart website. It seems we have a cheque winging its way to us. Will let you know if and when it clears the bank but they offered £100 more than we put it up for!!

So to the kind soul who suggested it (I'm sorry I can't remember who and I've just searched the thread but cannot find it) thank you so very much. If you are in or heading to Perth we owe you a beer or three.

Of course His Nibs is now taking all the glory for this but hey who cares........
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of
Default Re: selling the Kwak

Originally posted by shedu
Hi Guys,

I don't want to tempt fate by speaking too soon but I think, hope & pray we have sold the bike.

If this comes off it is all down to one of you guys who put me onto the admart website. It seems we have a cheque winging its way to us. Will let you know if and when it clears the bank but they offered £100 more than we put it up for!!

So to the kind soul who suggested it (I'm sorry I can't remember who and I've just searched the thread but cannot find it) thank you so very much. If you are in or heading to Perth we owe you a beer or three.

Of course His Nibs is now taking all the glory for this but hey who cares........

That'll be me then,
and if you ever get the chance to come down to Phillip Island for the WSB or GP.......I'll collect my beer then
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Shedu-I can't believe you made him sell it!
My hubbie brough his two out here!

As for the leathers-bring them, wear them. So what if people think you look like a boy racer. Better that than being in a right state when you come off.

No point looking to people here for advice-when the police wear cotton trousers, short sleeve cotton trousers and summer barley covering their hands gloves what hope have we got that they can give us correct road safety advice?
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

what is this admart?

Although we are now in Australia we have left my RVF400 with relatives as it did not sell-it is immaculate but I can shift it.

Originally posted by Rossi
That'll be me then,
and if you ever get the chance to come down to Phillip Island for the WSB or GP.......I'll collect my beer then
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:11 am
life begins again...

Originally posted by Rossi
That'll be me then,
hey mate! might see ya there one day myself! not too far away from canberra. well it is far enough but a decent ride away!!

Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:12 am
life begins again...

Originally posted by shedu
Hi Guys,

glad you managed to get it sorted. I bet he's looking forward to getting a replacement?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.