Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Once bitten, time for war !

Once bitten, time for war !

Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future
Default Once bitten, time for war !

Coming to Oz, I have been worried about things that bite and sting.
Hanging washing last week, felt a sting on my toe, thought it was mabe an ant (I had sandles on, so assumed he got through gaps)

After a long late shift (nurse) a couple of days later, toe was aching. Took shoes off and was shocked to see purple bruising and severley swollen toe. More worrying was a red/hot 'rash' up my leg.

Next day was Melbourne cup day. Pharmacists said to see a doctor, but none were open. Went to ED (casualty) at hospital. They said IV antibiotics were needed. Home nurses were fully booked, so had to stay in overnight.

At checkup couple of days later, plastice surgeon had a look. Said it was probably necrotic and most likely a white tail.

So now we are quite paranoid. Even OH who was not bothered is worried. Its ok to see them out and about, but worrying that they are in our back garden. Didn't even see it. However, couple of days later, there was a black spider on the coving. 25 mm length, could have been whitetail or black house spider (or just harmless!)

So now we want to get rid of all the nasties. Can anyone recommend good sprays etc to kill spiders and insects. Don't see any point getting someone in, as there are very few in the house (exception above) and I think it unlikely they can clear a garden. Maybe something to safely catch and eject from the house.

Also any good web info. We have see the vic museum site http://museumvictoria.com.au/spiders/gallery.aspx , but pictures do not make them easy to identify. Any videos would be good as you can see how they move and get a better idea of the size.

Last edited by carlap; Nov 10th 2008 at 9:41 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Once bitten, time for war !

I get Mortein 'bombs' for our house, you set one off in each room and then leave the house for two hours, job done. I use them twice a year and have never seen any creepy crawlies inside.

Jacqui
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:34 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

There's not a lot you can do about spiders in the garden.

White tailed spiders are quite common - my mother has been bitten more than once because she does a lot of gardening.

I think you were unlucky to bitten just hanging up the washing though - usually they are buried in amongst the plants and things.

As far as spiders in the garden, you have to learn to be on the lookout for them in amongst things. If your clothesline is in high grass or in amongst plants you could cut it back. I don't think there's much need to be too paranoid about spiders biting you on the lawn though - if that's what happened it was just incredibly bad luck I think.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:38 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

As far as in the house.

A couple of times a year we get the big containers of surface spray (they come with a sexy mask to wear while you're spraying and everything). All doors and windows get sprayed from the outside, and that seems to keep most things out. Because there's a lot of bushland around us we used to have a lot of problems with creepy crawlies, but now we hardly see anything.

If you live somewhere where it rains a lot (in Canberra it rains almost never) you would have to do it a little more often.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

Thanks for your replies, we live in Melbourne.

I went out and got some mortein spray and sprayed the wooden fence around the clothes line. Lots of creepies came out mostly earwigs and cockroach type things.

But, then out came a redback - very distinctive - which has really got me worried. I have kept it (dead of course!), so may post a photo.

Also something about 25mm big and blackish. Came towards me so kept spraying and it ran under the fence. Not sure what it was, but similar to black house spider or funnel web. Its web had a round hole (or tube) in the middle (like a funnel !)
Old Nov 11th 2008, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

War! What is it good for? Absolutley nothing! Say it again!
Old Nov 11th 2008, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
WAR
Old Nov 11th 2008, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

We are using Mortein outdoor spray, it doesnt seam to work so well here.
Its the big stuff, not just the little can.

What am I doing wrong?

Gems
Old Nov 11th 2008, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Safin
WAR
Good God.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:20 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spartacus
ah, now thats stuck right in my head... keep humming it!

bah! lol!

Em x
Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

margy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to all

Found our first redback the other day whilst gardening, it was quite small so probably just a baby. Impressed myself as I didn't scream like a girl, just left it there and moved away.

Freaked out by the cockroaches but have sprayed and this seems to be killing them off.

Bad luck with the white tail(?) not even sure what one looks like but hope the foot gets better.

M