Reload this Page >

OMG What have we done???

OMG What have we done???

Old Jan 13th 2005, 9:38 am
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: OMG What have we done???

Originally Posted by debsy
Dear Pocky

Pocky, you need to start thinking about the future - I am sure that the Pole Dancing Girls and Warren will get you sorted out
Good luck with what ever you decide.

Regards
Debs
Bit concerned how you think my husband can sort Pocky out

Jill

Old Jan 13th 2005, 9:40 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Hi there.

Its very easy to slip back into your old comfort zone and totally forget why you wanted to move to Australia in the first place.

We do tend to have selective memories of our old life.

The fact that you have researched if your hubby can go back to his old job, is a classic example of the panick you feel whenever you make a life-changing decision.

I know when I moved from Devon to London to start my vet nurse training, I hated London, Devon was fantastic, my old job was 'the best' and I could have had it back if I had wanted to.

My memory made me forget the crap wages, the boredom from my job and the bad bits.

Now, I wouldnt go back to Devon if you paid me, but it took a hell of a long time.

Yes, I can see why you are worried about finances and how your money will go down the longer you are there, but if you want to give Australia a go, then you musnt think about your finances vanishing.

Put 'your all' into making it work.

Homesickness can go on for months and whilst its the worst feeling in the world, it does get better.

With regards to jet lag, I was in Australia for 6 weeks and it took 10 days for me to feel half human really.

You need to be kinder to yourself. Dont think about moving to another house yet, allow yourself time to acclimatise to your new culture - because it is a completely different culture.

And if I tell you when I left for work this morning, it was cloudy, traffic stacked up back to back, ugly grey houses closely built, ashen grey looking commuters, living to work not working to live, rushing into work.

We will be lucky if we see the sun for more than a couple of months this year, and Im scared to leave my house in case im burgled.

Yes, everywhere has its bad points, but you have the chance to build a wonderful new life for you and your family.

Take one day at a time, be kind to yourself and take up the offers of the decent people of this site, that want to make contact with you.

And, in a few months time, when you're sitting in your garden sipping a cold beer, watching your family happy, healthy and settled, you will see that everything has come together for you.

And you will always have a constant source of friendship on this site.

You will be fine, I promise.

(but spare a thought for me when I clean my face and my skin is black from pollution. )

what a great post Sam!!
Well said!

hope you soon feel more settled P!

sue
Old Jan 13th 2005, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
Bit concerned how you think my husband can sort Pocky out

Jill
That worried me too - but your reply did make me snile - not an easy thing at the moment!! Mind you I have a G&T in my hand at the mo - so that helps. Also it was my birthday 2 days ago & my hubbie bought me some vouchers for a facial & pedicure - maybe I should get down there & use them!!

Thanks again
pocky
Old Jan 13th 2005, 10:06 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by pockygoes
That worried me too - but your reply did make me snile - not an easy thing at the moment!! Mind you I have a G&T in my hand at the mo - so that helps. Also it was my birthday 2 days ago & my hubbie bought me some vouchers for a facial & pedicure - maybe I should get down there & use them!!

Thanks again
pocky

Happy birthday Pocky.

Here is a picture to make you giggle.

John Howard begging me to come to Australia
Attached Thumbnails OMG What have we done???-xxxx.jpg  

Old Jan 14th 2005, 8:20 am
Professional Princess

Thanks again
pocky

Pocky, you can have your very own piece of London if you like, I can give you my Tales of a London Bus Route

This morning, I waited 20 mins in the cold waiting for my bus. When it finally turned up, I managed to grab my favourite seat (not the window lickers at the back, where people fall asleep and they dribble), but the one just above the step.

I think there must have been at least 3 people on the bus with TB. Coughing their guts up, one man didnt even put his hand to his mouth and was snot chewing.

It was synchronised coughing

Then, as if that wasnt bad enough, the ugly woman with glasses (fortyish) was noisily chewing gum.

Now I hate that, if you're going to chew gum, then please please keep your mouth closed.

It gets worse, it really does. Fat woman wearing tweed coat, who always gets on at 7.12am, had a wind problem.

Farting for London, she blushed, gave her ample bottom a rest and then let out another. Bending over to pick up her bag, I could see her massive pantyline showing with a gusset you could float a ship on.

So, get to Hangar Lane and the traffic is shit. I dont know why people beep their horns when they are clearly not going anywhere, but they did.

The bus reeked of guff, the TB contingent were merrily coughing and I was making 'nose marks' on the steamed up window by pressing my face on it.

Arrive at work at 8am, have my oats (porridge ) and now Im having a cup of tea.

And a journey of what should be 20 mins, takes over an hour on the way home cos of traffic.

Now for payback, I am going to eat sprouts, broccoli, baked beans and I am going to fart my way home to gas out those with TB.

Until the next installment.

Old Jan 14th 2005, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Professional Princess]Pocky, you can have your very own piece of London if you like, I can give you my Tales of a London Bus Route

I had to read this post out to the girls at work. Laughed so much I cried. It's just so true. don't forget though the drunk that always tries to talk to you, the person who is lost and doesn't speak any English and the old man whose overcoat reeks of urine.

Old Jan 14th 2005, 11:18 am
Floribean in wait

oshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: OMG What have we done???

Calm down, take a deep breath and go out for a nice meal. I know it's a horrible feeling being away from all your family and friends, I've been there, done that and got the t-shirt. My story may cheer you up!

I've always wanted to be a travel rep since I was a little kid, finished school, went to work in a travel agents, got a job as a rep in cyprus. Deferred for a year as we had a holiday booked and went the next year, big emotional scene at the airport that was completly unexpected of my dad as I never realised how much he loved me. Went to cyprus, loved the area, hated the job, ran out of petrol, crashed my moped! Lost my money, quit the job and enjoyed a holiday instead, then went home. Told my dad to pick me up from gatwick which is a 3 hr drive at 7, he went at 7am, my flight landed at 7pm and I didn't have a mobile so we weren't in contact. I realised after that he loved me even more!

At least you have your family with you, go out as a family, explore the area and have fun. Believe me a nice day in the sun, on the beach with a picnic is betting than getting up in the dark, de-icing your car!!!

Don't worry!
Old Jan 14th 2005, 11:55 am
Just Joined

Kingpin is an unknown quantity at this point

As everyone has said give it time 6 days is not long, I have had many friends and family go to oz for 6moths to a year and they all say the first 6 weeks are the worst as you dont know where anything is not even the local shops you miss the knowing where everything is like you do at home i spent 9 years in the army traverling the word and it is not nice not knowing your way around.But though your self in to oz life and you will forget all else that is what i did and it worked.I will tell you a story lol my sisters m8 has just spent the last 5 years in oz and they decided to move back to the uk to be close to family so they moved all there cars house hold stuff which cost alot of money as you can imagine and then 2 moths later decided to move right back to oz could not stand being back in the uk so all i can say is give it time i know that ia esey for me to say at the moment we are not there yet (15/04/2005 cant wait) but dont give up yet all the best Kingpin
Old Jan 14th 2005, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

The Thorpes is on a distinguished road

Thanks again
pocky

Hiya Pocky

Glad you arrived safe and well, sorry to hear you aren't happy though. Sent you a pm with my mobile number before you left, so text me or give us a ring and you can come and see us this week if you are around.

Take care

Sam
Old Jan 14th 2005, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

lloydyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yonk
I felt like that moving from Oxford to Edinburgh. You have left your safe, familiar home and are somewhere strange.

Once you start to settle and get your own stuff around you and get to know the people and area it becomes more familiar and much easier. I wouldn't go back to Oxford but still struggled for a while up here but love it now.

Looking forward to our next move but I know there will be a difficult period of adjustment but I know I just have to expect it.

It does get better and if it doesn't, at least you have tried. My in-laws are bitterly regretting never having tried.

Just hang on in there, easy for me to say that as i'm not there yet but i have the exact worries. Just remember what a better chance of life your children will have! Where i live is full of drugs, drinking, underage teenage pregnancies, no chance of buying a house unless they have excellent qualifications, which you hope your children will get but does not always happen. Yes there are drugs and drinking and probs of all kinds in Australia as there are here or anywhere else but does not seem to be on the same scale. I am really scared but deep down i feel this is the right thing to do. Give it a couple of years and if you still feel the same you can always come back home and start all over again with the help from your family and friends.

Goodluck i hope everything works out for you

XX
Old Jan 14th 2005, 11:18 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Also it was my birthday 2 days ago & my hubbie bought me some vouchers for a facial & pedicure - maybe I should get down there & use them!!
Happy (belated) birthday. Hope you go and use those vouchers for a pampering!
Old Jan 14th 2005, 11:28 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Pocky, you can have your very own piece of London if you like, I can give you my Tales of a London Bus Route

This morning, I waited 20 mins in the cold waiting for my bus. When it finally turned up, I managed to grab my favourite seat (not the window lickers at the back, where people fall asleep and they dribble), but the one just above the step.

I think there must have been at least 3 people on the bus with TB. Coughing their guts up, one man didnt even put his hand to his mouth and was snot chewing.

It was synchronised coughing

Then, as if that wasnt bad enough, the ugly woman with glasses (fortyish) was noisily chewing gum.

Now I hate that, if you're going to chew gum, then please please keep your mouth closed.

It gets worse, it really does. Fat woman wearing tweed coat, who always gets on at 7.12am, had a wind problem.

Farting for London, she blushed, gave her ample bottom a rest and then let out another. Bending over to pick up her bag, I could see her massive pantyline showing with a gusset you could float a ship on.

So, get to Hangar Lane and the traffic is shit. I dont know why people beep their horns when they are clearly not going anywhere, but they did.

The bus reeked of guff, the TB contingent were merrily coughing and I was making 'nose marks' on the steamed up window by pressing my face on it.

Arrive at work at 8am, have my oats (porridge ) and now Im having a cup of tea.

And a journey of what should be 20 mins, takes over an hour on the way home cos of traffic.

Now for payback, I am going to eat sprouts, broccoli, baked beans and I am going to fart my way home to gas out those with TB.

Until the next installment.
Leave London then mate, there is a whole country outside the 25.

London is not Britain, Sydney is not Oz. Two international cities, with a whole different counrty outside their suburban sprawl.

Why is so much empathasis put on the Greater London rat race? After all most poms only leave this for the Syd/Mel rat run to overworked consumerist hell.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 11:35 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eatstatic
Leave London then mate, there is a whole country outside the 25.

London is not Britain, Sydney is not Oz. Two international cities, with a whole different counrty outside their suburban sprawl.

Why is so much empathasis put on the Greater London rat race? After all most poms only leave this for the Syd/Mel rat run to overworked consumerist hell.
While you are correct in your other points, I think you missed the point of this post, which was to cheer up the OP!
Old Jan 15th 2005, 12:50 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester

I had to read this post out to the girls at work. Laughed so much I cried. It's just so true. don't forget though the drunk that always tries to talk to you, the person who is lost and doesn't speak any English and the old man whose overcoat reeks of urine.

Ah, you've met my Dad, then....?

(just joking..... )

Anya
Old Jan 15th 2005, 9:36 am
jaf
Just Joined

jaf is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - I've not posted on the board before, been having a few peeks but wanted to respond to this one! Yes I know how hard it feels at first, I am 3 months here now and like you I thought I would be ok and be strong enough to get through the horrid stuff but it has been much harder!! I was an emotional wreck for the first few weeks and really thought I had made the biggest mistake ever but luckily I had some really good mates back home who just told me to take off my 'rose coloured glasses' and think about the reasons I left the UK and give myself a chance! I still have very bad days but it's getting better all the time and although I'm still not sure I am beginning to be able to enjoy the better lifestyle I came here for. You really must give it a chance, at least time enough to get over the jet lag and the shock of it all so that you can really evaluate whether it's for you; try & give yourself a deadline of maybe 6 months or so and see how you feel then. So sit back in the sun & put up your feet with a drink & give it some time is my advice - hope it helps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.