Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OMG - What have i gone and done !!

OMG - What have i gone and done !!

Old Jun 1st 2005, 8:04 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG - What have i gone and done !!

FWIW, I also walked out on my (first job) in Aus - that was a couple of weeks ago now. When it's obvious that things aren't going to work out, there's no point sticking it out and becoming even more negative and resentful about it. Job hunting's not a lot of fun, but you're obviously an employable person! You'll find something else and feel much happier about things. I figured I'd moved too far to be doing a job I wasn't 100% and then some happy with!

Good luck finding something that makes you happy!

Nichola

Originally Posted by jwinch
I have never been one to act on impulse. I worked for my last employer in the UK for nineteen years and was very happy there.

I have been in my first job in Oz for four months and today I have just walked out and told them I am not going back. I have been trying to make it work for several weeks now but the people there are making me really unhappy and at the end of the day thats not what we moved here for.

The Manager is a really old fashioned typical male chauvanist pig who has absolutely no respect for women, The moral in the whole office is at an all time low with lots of bitching and back stabbing.

I know I was probably silly to just jack it but I got to the stage where I just couldnt cope with the crap any longer it was making me miserable and eating away my self confidence, and i was taking it out on the kids.

Looks like I have probably blown a reference too !

Just got to break the news to the old man now
Old Jun 1st 2005, 8:26 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Don't worry. You really have done the right thing, your own sanity and welfare must come first and besides, if you are not happy at work then you won't be able to do the job to your full capacity anyway. I'm sure you will find something much better soon with nicer people. Karma on its way.

Anne
Old Jun 1st 2005, 8:28 am
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: OMG - What have i gone and done !!

Don't look on the negatives! look at how great you are.....you've had the balls to leave a job after 19 years, emigrate and start all over again!!!!

As for the comment about needing money when you move, sure, we all need money, but you can work at anything to earn a dollar- our friends arrived over here and delivered pizzas for a while - they now have good jobs and an income of around AU$160,000 (and she's part-time).

as someone rightly said "who needs a reference?", you've only just arrived and have a long service history in the UK.......onwards and upwards!!!!!

Phil x

Last edited by philian4; Jun 1st 2005 at 8:29 am. Reason: can't spell!
Old Jun 1st 2005, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

[QUOTE=scotvness]You're not alone, after finding what I though was a fantastic job - I loved it, thought all my Xmas's had come at once - it started of brilliant for the first couple of months, then the boss started to show his true colours (I should have been more concerned about the two previous employees who didn't last more than two months) a corporate psychopath I believe is the correct title. I walked out after three months and a lot of soul searching. I have worked in the same type of industry for over twenty years but you cannot let yourself become someones punch bag - you have to be able to look at yourself in the mirror each day.

I'm still looking and still very happy about my decision to quit - Enjoy the beer something will turn up
packed it in as you'd had enough.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 8:40 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

dont worry about it, you defo did the right thing.

I walked out of my first job here in Aus too, I hated it with a passion, plus it was 34 degrees outside, which made the desision to quit an easier one.... if you had of lived in Melbourne I'd of thout it was the same place...lol!

I found another pretty easy, just dont put on your cv and pretend it never happened and that you have had some time off here before you started to apply for stuff, thats what i did and they never knew any different!

The job i have now I love it but, it has bitches working there, i was ready to jack in job no 2, but last night i received some great news that all 3 of the bitches have resigned...yippeee!!!

So now i can do the job I love in a bitch free environment and dont need to leave anymore

Tings will work out for you and you will look back and be glad you walked out of the shi* job...

good luck

laura
x
Old Jun 1st 2005, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

I really and truly believe that life is just too short to have to deal with those kind of miserable b*****ds. Well done you for making a stand!!

Here's some karma for you too.

Sarah
Old Jun 1st 2005, 8:56 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

You definatly did the right thing....I had a job I hated,the staff, the customers, the boss, the bosses boss etc...I used to come home feeling really low and would be snappy to the other half and my 2 kids....I jacked it in and found a new job which is so much better.....no worries
Old Jun 1st 2005, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about

Thanks everyone for your support. Feeling a bit sick and gutted at the moment but I am sure it will pass.

My husband took the news quite well and keeps telling me not to worry that I can do a few extras for him to earn some money

I am sure things will work out for the best.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 10:49 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Thanks everyone for your support. Feeling a bit sick and gutted at the moment but I am sure it will pass.

My husband took the news quite well and keeps telling me not to worry that I can do a few extras for him to earn some money

I am sure things will work out for the best.

I did the same thing with my first job in Aus 5 years ago. I was a supervisor for a Japanese company making air con units for Toyotas. Great job BUT, I got three warnings for helping out my staff when short staffed instead of sitting at my desk.
Anyone needing the toilet had to come and ask me first, just like primary school
Finally one of the bosses walked past a small air con pipe that had fell off a rack, he walked about 20mtrs past it to come & tell me to pick it up.
I laughed & said your kidding right? No he wasn't so took my dust coat off handed it to him & told him to look for another slave.

The following week after phoning around I got a job in the company I'm still with so hopefully its same for you, as one door closes etc etc.

Good luck.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 12:30 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

wow - good for you!
I have been in the same job (but in the uk!) for the last 18 months, and it has been pretty crap. last week i came to the decision i was going to resign....it feels good, doesnt it??

good luck with the job hunting!

sue
Old Jun 1st 2005, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

I have never been one to act on impulse. I worked for my last employer in the UK for nineteen years and was very happy there.

I have been in my first job in Oz for four months and today I have just walked out and told them I am not going back. I have been trying to make it work for several weeks now but the people there are making me really unhappy and at the end of the day thats not what we moved here for.

The Manager is a really old fashioned typical male chauvanist pig who has absolutely no respect for women, The moral in the whole office is at an all time low with lots of bitching and back stabbing.

I know I was probably silly to just jack it but I got to the stage where I just couldnt cope with the crap any longer it was making me miserable and eating away my self confidence, and i was taking it out on the kids.

Well , it's interesting reading this thread. For some years I thought it was just me, but - check out the one from the fruit-picker person especially. There's a lot of truth in that. About the first three to four months is the worst I have always found here (and I've had a few different jobs...) I don't know what it is but I realised after the first three times it happened it is part of the culture in working life here, to be generally suspicious and "test" the newbie (esp if they come with a UK accent, heaven help we look more capable than them...) I'm not saying you did the wrong thing in not sticking it out, but just to say, in a kind way, be aware of how things can be. And I know I'm doing a sweeping generalisation thing, but it's not til I had some hindsight down the years and wasn't IN the situation at the time, that the "Aha" moment came. It just adds to some of the other stuff that gets up my nose but don't let's go there, I want to stay positive for everyone. Have sent karma. Have a big and a nice and things will look better tomorrow.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

I walked out of four different jobs in one year once, so I know how you feel.

I tend to have a zero tolerance approach to office politics and will stand my ground, as I have no time for bitchiness, back-stabbing and 'lets pick on the newbie' type behaviour.

I've sent you karma, plus my blessing for doing the most sensible thing under the circumstances.

Good luck, and take care.

Tony.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Sounds like you did the right thing...

SS