Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OMG have you seen airfares to the UK now

OMG have you seen airfares to the UK now

Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default OMG have you seen airfares to the UK now

Just been through the websites, then on the phone to Trailfinders, didnt realise till just then the taxes on a fare to the UK now are from $493 to $520, thats added to the low season fare which start at $1599.

So off peak nows around $2100 if you fancy a trip in school hols add several hundred. How the hell does anyone afford a trip back to the UK with a family now :scared:
Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all
Default Re: OMG have you seen airfares to the UK now

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Just been through the websites, then on the phone to Trailfinders, didnt realise till just then the taxes on a fare to the UK now are from $493 to $520, thats added to the low season fare which start at $1599.

So off peak nows around $2100 if you fancy a trip in school hols add several hundred. How the hell does anyone afford a trip back to the UK with a family now :scared:

Yep, it's not cheap is it? Some friends of ours (family of 4) have just paid over $8000 to fly back to UK for a three week holiday!!!
I'm not really a whinging pom
Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbo2
Yep, it's not cheap is it? Some friends of ours (family of 4) have just paid over $8000 to fly back to UK for a three week holiday!!!
I'm not really a whinging pom
Its not about whinging is it, its about what we have to pay and why Someone posted a link last week for UK peeps flying on Qantas 369 pound return to Melbourne, talk about add insult to injury

I hope those planning on trips back to see family have VERY deep pockets.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:48 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I am trying to find a flight back at short notice for the end of April the cheapest I can find is $2500 including tax.

Makes me realise that the 700 quid I spent to get over was not to bad at all!

Its not about whinging is it, its about what we have to pay and why Someone posted a link last week for UK peeps flying on Qantas 369 pound return to Melbourne, talk about add insult to injury

I hope those planning on trips back to see family have VERY deep pockets.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:49 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying to book flights back for Christmas just now and there's limited availability. We're looking at about $2400 each but thats direct to Newcastle via Amsterdam. My boy has just turned 12 so he's now an adult! Luckily Jim will be going into the office for a couple of weeks while we're there so we can claim the cost of his flight and he'll still be earning!

Jane
Old Mar 21st 2006, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

I'm flying back from Perth in April with my wife and three kids. Coming back via Japan, as wife is Japanese and we thought we'd kill two birds with one stone.

I estimate the whole trip will cost us around $15,000. To make that, I need to generate about $25,000 in pretax dollars. I'm self employed, so I also lose three weeks' pay, although I have to take time off now and again so I'm not really factoring that in.

The upshot is, we can't do this too often. When we came here we didn't plan to go back too often, but things have been happening to make me feel different now.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice

And there in lies the problem - most families are going to have to save for years to get back for a holiday. We haven't been back since we got here - can't afford it and we are both working full time! :scared:
Old Mar 21st 2006, 3:38 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone tried getting a return to Singapore (say) then booking a return to the UK from there? Does that work out any cheaper?

If the govt ever lets Singapore Airlines fly this route prices will soon tumble. But they keep them out to help Qantas make money by setting the prices high.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

I 1/2 looked into doing that but it seemed to be 6 and 2 3s in terms of cost...

we knew when we came over that we'd only get one trip home once we started studying, and because i still have to sort out my grans estate (she died quite suddenly a couple of months before i left) we knew it would be this winter/summer.

we're currently looking at $2300 (ine tax) each with Japan Airlines (flight centre), that comes with a overnight stop in tokyo accomodation, brekkie and tranfers. have made it quite clear to everyone at home that after this they'll be expected to come and visit me!!!!

i guess if you know you're going to be going back to UK at least every year then you're probably better off going one way to UK then get open jaw Rtns UK to here, using the return the following year!
Old Mar 21st 2006, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

PADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to all

Flight prices from Aus to UK are shocking aren't they.

I intend to fly out early April for 10 days from Brisbane and flightcentre's price on an Emirates airline was $1637 plus taxes $326.00. Emirates appear to be the cheapest in this part of Aus.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

talking about flight centre....

has anyone else noticed that it doesn't matter when you ask them for a quote on an offer they have on the website - they always tell you that it expired yesterday!!!!!!!!! they've done this 6 times with me over the last few years!
Old Mar 21st 2006, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by YoSemite

has anyone else noticed that it doesn't matter when you ask them for a quote on an offer they have on the website - they always tell you that it expired yesterday!!!!!!!!! they've done this 6 times with me over the last few years!

Were always looking for 4/5 seats, never yet have any of the 'specials'
had availability, even if we look on the day they are advertised
Old Mar 21st 2006, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression, that when this new super jumbo comes on line, that prices are set to tumble. Can somone confirm that please ?

I think they come on line within 18 months ?

Which would make travelling to the uk, within that 18 month period, a bit of a luxury for holidaying purposes at least ?
Old Mar 21st 2006, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

unreal innit!!!!!!

maybe some enterprising bunnie out there should start up a special ex pats travel agency giving us all great rates.... actually that wouldn't be a bad idea! (almost) guaranteed customer base!!!!!
Old Mar 21st 2006, 5:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I was under the impression, that when this new super jumbo comes on line, that prices are set to tumble. Can somone confirm that please ?

I think they come on line within 18 months ?

Which would make travelling to the uk, within that 18 month period, a bit of a luxury for holidaying purposes at least ?

Would be nice but can anyone really see the australian government allowing competitive airline pricing on international routes. I cant, not after the recent efforts where we were denied the opportunity of USA airfares at what people predicted would have become 30% cheaper if another airline was allowed in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.