Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OMG have you seen airfares to the UK now

OMG have you seen airfares to the UK now

Old Mar 21st 2006, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

lostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: OMG have you seen airfares to the UK now

Originally Posted by steve99
Cycle

Have a look at www.easycar.com.au
I remember last time we went back if you could book far enough in advance it was something like 9pound per day.
I think that was back in the good old early days of EasyCar when they had an entire range of brand new Mercedes A-Class at 9 quid a day. Check out the UK prices now - they look exactly like Budget/Hertz/Avis at 30 quid a day plus.

By the way, I hate to gloat, but we have business class flights with Emirates back to the UK to use up in June !! Yipee !! (they're only one way return legs though )
Old Mar 21st 2006, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

RogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura about

Why would anyone want to return to UK, even for a visit, after living here?
Old Mar 21st 2006, 8:12 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RogerUK
Don't go there.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 8:18 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest I tried ebookers (who we usually use to book our flights with) and they were quoting me £700 ($1680) one way LHR to SYD if I booked for April and £350 ($840) for early June. Would have tried the SYD to LHR option but the online booking form doesn't permit it. Might give them a ring and see what it'd cost.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranni
My niece goes back tomorrow, one way, $1100 was the cheapest we could get
I personally would not spend all that money, i would rather send the money over to my parents and pay for their tickets, than us all go back. I would do the same with my son also, as they are the only ones i would go back for if i had to.
My niece came over on a sponsor visa 3 weeks ago, she was not happy, she fell in love before she came over, at the airport the guy told her he loved her and she loves him, so after all my hard work getting her here she goes back tomorrow , i am sad but just want her to be happy.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 8:27 am
Australia's Doorman

Right - just tried the Cathay Pacific online booking thing. Thought I'd try the Xmas dates we had last year. Was quoted £1195 for a SYD-LHR return or £976.30 for a LHR-SYD return. Price differences seems to be down to the $480 tax at the Oz end.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Beermonster
Have you tried buying the tickets from the UK?

IATA rules have changed to allow the buying of tickets offshore (see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4176671.stm)
My OH has done this thru Flight Centre Holborn. We did try a couple of other agents tho and they wouldn't hear of it eg Trailfinders
Old Mar 21st 2006, 9:24 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Boy I would love to answer this one, but luckily for you all I am far too busy to construct a reply that will end up making your ears bleed. Another day maybe.......
Old Mar 21st 2006, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Foster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant future

My 14 year old daughter wants to go to visit her dad, and the rest of her family. The original plan was for us all to go but due to the cost of flights she is going to have to go alone.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

lostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of lightlostpom is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hutch
Don't go there.
Hehe!
Old Mar 21st 2006, 9:43 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve99
Singapore have been flying into Perth for years
Put it down to a hard day in the office - I knew that as we flew here with them.

Maybe it wasn't Singapore then, but I definitely read somewhere recently that the Aus govt is preventing some carriers flying into Aus for Qantas' benefit. The LA - Sydney route was definitely one of the routes that was affected.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Were hoping to emegrate Jan 2008. If we wanted to come back for a holiday every year could we do this?

Buy a return ticket from Ireland to Oz leaving the return date open as long as possible. Use the return ticket for the flight from Oz to Ireland for our holiday. Book a return flight from Ireland to Oz starting the same process again. Booking a return flight from Ireland, whilst on holidays would mean it would be last minute. However we could get family to book the ticket in advance once a good deal was found.

Would this work?
Old Mar 21st 2006, 10:06 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gidxg03
Were hoping to emegrate Jan 2008. If we wanted to come back for a holiday every year could we do this?

Buy a return ticket from Ireland to Oz leaving the return date open as long as possible. Use the return ticket for the flight from Oz to Ireland for our holiday. Book a return flight from Ireland to Oz starting the same process again. Booking a return flight from Ireland, whilst on holidays would mean it would be last minute. However we could get family to book the ticket in advance once a good deal was found.

Would this work?
this is what we are going to do
Old Mar 21st 2006, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gidxg03

Would this work?
Yes, this works fine, though you always have a paid-for return leg to use (or waste if you can't use it, or it expires). It will always be a question to yourselves - do we lose it and lose the money we paid for it, or do we use it and have to buy another ticket back. And back to square 1 the next year.

I believe some airlines will allow you to postpone your return leg for more than 12 months from the outbound leg for a fee.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lostpom
Yes, this works fine, though you always have a paid-for return leg to use (or waste if you can't use it, or it expires). It will always be a question to yourselves - do we lose it and lose the money we paid for it, or do we use it and have to buy another ticket back. And back to square 1 the next year.

I believe some airlines will allow you to postpone your return leg for more than 12 months from the outbound leg for a fee.
Thats sounds like a good plan then. Esp if you can postpone for another 12 months (for a fee) effectivley letting you book a return flight 2 years in advance (or have I picked that up wrong).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.