Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OMG Dentist prices!! Brisbane

OMG Dentist prices!! Brisbane

Old Oct 13th 2006, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

katiesel has a spectacular aura aboutkatiesel has a spectacular aura aboutkatiesel has a spectacular aura about
Default OMG Dentist prices!! Brisbane

HI
Thanks to all of you who helpfully replied to my post the other week about feeling unwell just befroe we left for Brisbane. Well I never did get to the bottom of it, I had some strong antibiotics from the dentist and doctor, which cleared things up for a few days. But now we are in Brisbane and the pain is starting to come back, I have phoned a few dentists and their prices are astronomical, I take it that that is the price of all of them or does any one know of a cheaper way? I phoned up about dental insurance, but i would not be able to use it for a year any help would be most grateful.
Thanks Katie
Old Oct 13th 2006, 1:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG Dentist prices!! Brisbane

Originally Posted by katiesel
HI
Thanks to all of you who helpfully replied to my post the other week about feeling unwell just befroe we left for Brisbane. Well I never did get to the bottom of it, I had some strong antibiotics from the dentist and doctor, which cleared things up for a few days. But now we are in Brisbane and the pain is starting to come back, I have phoned a few dentists and their prices are astronomical, I take it that that is the price of all of them or does any one know of a cheaper way? I phoned up about dental insurance, but i would not be able to use it for a year any help would be most grateful.
Thanks Katie
Welcome to Australia No suggestions I'm afraid. They do all charge slightly different amounts but there is no cheaper way. Even dental insurance doesn't cover everything and as you say it takes a year or two to be able to use it.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 1:56 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Medibank Private - for Queenslanders - were waiving the 1st year wait period for up to 300$ of dental fees. I dont know if that offer is still on - check with them.

If you pay the higher 1% surcharge for medicare their policy costs only 600$ a year extra after the tax rebate - so 300$ of dental fees soon makes it effective , then get sick a bit later and you are quids in.

Certain dentists in the medibank private provider scheme then allow you (suposedly) to claim back all their fees - some dentists charge more but these ones are charging what medibank private wil agree to pay.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 1:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

For medical expenses you cant claim on medicare, like dental, once you spend over $1500 you can claim a 20% rebate on your tax. So spend $2000 at the dentist you will get a $100 rebate on your tax.

This rebate only applies to essential medical, in other words not plastic surgery and you cant claim it on the portion where a medicare or private rebate is available.

Or the current trend is to fly to asia and get dental, medical stuff done, main problem with that is infection, try getting a aussie doctor/dentist to fix up whats been botched up elsewhere.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

Still registered in the UK for NHS dentistry? Might be worth taking a holiday!?

Good luck with it.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 7:11 am
Hilton`s

Hilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to all

Husband has just got back from the dentist for the first time in Oz. He had a check up, 2 xrays and one largish filling and it came to $245 and he has to go and have his teeth cleaned in 2 weeks and this will be another $95!!!

My appointment is booked for Monday and I am dreading what it is going to cost!

Tracey x
Old Oct 13th 2006, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

samnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katiesel
HI
Thanks Katie
The cost of dental work is extremely high wherever you are. We've just had our youngest seen at a private dentist as we cant get an NHS dentist for love or money, he has been put on the waiting list as he is desperate need for braces (poor lad hasn't got any bite whatsoever). The amount we have been quoted totals 12% of our total yearly income, so we are considering taking the ferry to France and have it sorted out over there for half the price and a few days sight seeing included. Wished I'd studied harder at school and thought about training to become a dentist many moons ago.
I hope you get things sorted out very soon.
Sam x.