Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OMG...booked flights - no visa

OMG...booked flights - no visa

Old Aug 30th 2008, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to behold
Default OMG...booked flights - no visa

hi all
well i have just BOOKED MY FLIGHTS

the only thing i need now is a visa!!!!!!!!!!!

i have got 9 wks in which to get my 457 through. had the all clear from my consultant on thursday - he is sending report to my gp -he is sending report to medical gp -who is then sending it off to sydney -aaaahhhh

do you think that is enough time as i need to book accomodation as well?

if that fails could we get a holiday visa while waiting for the 457?

p.s if anyone has a house to rent in rockingham or surrounds from the 31st oct for a family of 4 + 1 dog then please let me know...lol

debbie
Old Aug 31st 2008, 5:48 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG...booked flights - no visa

Without meaning to sound critical, why do that ???

You cannot be granted a visa whilst you are onshore, so if you enter under a tourist visa you must leave the country to be granted your visa and have it evidenced in an embassy offshore - such as NZ or Asia. An expensive proposition and a real hassle as it takes a few days. In the interim you can't work, get medicare etc etc.

Hope it arrives in time for you but equally hope you can change flights should the need arise and it doesn't.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 6:07 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

When my MIL booked her flight without a Visa, she had to have a return flight. But she only booked one way. While she was in OZ hoping to get her visa sorted, time ran out and she was deported.

Be careful.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 6:11 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Just make sure you can get a refund on the ticket: you are making a big gamble here!
Old Aug 31st 2008, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

debbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to behold

hi

thaks for all your advise. i have checked and i can change the tickets if needed!

all the best

debbie
Old Aug 31st 2008, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Ah well lifes full of risks!!, 457 visas are easy to get anyway, I just hope it comes before your flight or ya cattle trucked. They usully only take 4 weeks to come through
Old Aug 31st 2008, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Originally Posted by debbieuk
hi all
well i have just BOOKED MY FLIGHTS

the only thing i need now is a visa!!!!!!!!!!!

i have got 9 wks in which to get my 457 through. had the all clear from my consultant on thursday - he is sending report to my gp -he is sending report to medical gp -who is then sending it off to sydney -aaaahhhh

do you think that is enough time as i need to book accomodation as well?

if that fails could we get a holiday visa while waiting for the 457?

p.s if anyone has a house to rent in rockingham or surrounds from the 31st oct for a family of 4 + 1 dog then please let me know...lol

debbie
We did the same -- on the advice of the people at DIMA we arrived on an ETA while waiting for the visa to be processed. Certainly ups the stress levels but we were up front and honest with the immigration staff at the airport and there was no trouble. (Could have been because we arrived on Dec 27th so they were in a festive spirit!!!???) A 457 is NOT an off-shore visa, so you wouldnt need to leave Aus when it is processed. We just went to the immigration offices in Parramatta to get our passports evidenced...

I wouldnt recommend this way of entering and just because it was straight -forward for us, does not necessarily mean it would be for you -- but just wanted you know that it IS possible to leave before your visa is granted. However, I would follow the advice from DIMA.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Pipers Mummy is on a distinguished road

Yep, my husbands 457 visa was issued in weeks. I entered after him and went into Melbourne to have the visa put into my passport - no problems whatsoever..... You'll be fine.