Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

That old taking a car over thing

That old taking a car over thing

Old Sep 7th 2004, 2:21 pm
Gee of the Bee Member

Beegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really nice
Default That old taking a car over thing

Yep I know it been asked before but....

Has anyone taken a classic car over?

Thing is I made the brave move and sold my beloved Alfa GTV as I knew that the costs where so silly with it the import taxes etc....but then in a moment of genius or madness....dunno which yet I bought a 1986 Lotus Excel ( 2 owners from new 45,000 mls and garaged all it life.too good to pass up!)

I did this due to the 15 year old rule where i won't get charged any import tax etc and shipping on the roll on roll off is looking to be about £800.

I realise the parts situation will be dire and no grease monkey will want to touch it but hey after driving a few alfas you get used to that anyway. On the plus side nobody can moan about it being pommie car rusting away cos its plastic, with galv chas, and st st exhaust. I reckon I should be able to get a least $20,000 for it over there and make a little profit, but has anyone had any probs' getting thru' perth customs and do classic cars still need to be modified to get road worthy cert etc...