Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Old Style Driving Licence

Old Style Driving Licence

Old Dec 22nd 2003, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

scamp1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Old Style Driving Licence

I have an old style Uk Drving Licence - would it be advisable to get a Photo Licence before I move to OZ - would this be more acceptable for using for ID?

Also - where do I get an International Driving Licence from?
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

PeterAndSue is an unknown quantity at this point

We both gave up the old DL and got the new photo one.
I think it go's without saying that Id with a photo is more acceptable than one without.

The inter DL can be obtained from the Post office,
but only the major branches have these facilities.
We decided against getting the Inter DL.
If you phone the AA they can give you advice.
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

danno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Old Style Driving Licence

Originally posted by scamp
I have an old style Uk Drving Licence - would it be advisable to get a Photo Licence before I move to OZ - would this be more acceptable for using for ID?

I got an international driving licence some years ago and it was issued by the AA (sounds strange I know). Worth checking if they still issue these.
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 12:54 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

We have sent off for international licences. You can download the forms from the RAC website and then you send the form along with a photo and £4. I think it takes about a week. Probably longer at the moment though. We are not bothering getting the new style licences as we always have our passports as photographic proof.
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Anyone advise me as to the benefits of obtaining an International licence
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

We've never had any trouble using old style licences during our visits - last one this year.
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

evila is an unknown quantity at this point

I´ve just checked in the VicRoads website, and it says that an International Drivers Permit is only a translation of the original one, so it won´t give you and right your original license have not already gave.

As for what I´ve found out (looking for a way to avoid practical tests since my license is from Venezuela and is not on the list of "recognized" licenses) it seems that International permit is pretty much useless in OZ...

Cheers...

Enrique.-

Originally posted by sj oldfield
Anyone advise me as to the benefits of obtaining an International licence
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Ginger Whinger is an unknown quantity at this point

Scamp,

Would not worry about the old style licence. You will have to get a new licence here within 3 months anyway. As the old licence is still fine in UK it will be fine here also. My wife has had no problems with hers. Was almost an advantage as when she got stopped for speeding she got let off as obviously the paperwork for the police would have been too much!!

As Evila says the International licence no advantage here (unless you want the photo ID?). If you want it for another country though you can get them instantly over the counter from MAIN Post Offices. Very main ones though - I had to go into Manchester when I did this (Stockport was not big enough). Best to call and ask first before turning up and getting disappointed.

GW
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 10:24 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't you have to change UK address to get a photocard license. BTW a photocard license is useful for getting into RSLs and clubs that are near where you live. That is how I get into the local clubs.
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 10:27 pm
Tyke and now an Aussie

NoodleSYD is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea, don't bother with an international one and as for a UK photolicence - places here will just look blankly at it. Someone in front of me at Blockbuster tried to use his UK photolicence to open an account and they weren't interested "Australian Only"...

You'll need to convert to an Aussie (photo)licence within 3 months of moving here anyway - it's just a knowledge test then a straight swap from your UK one these days (paper or plastic makes no difference).

Since the Aussie one costs - save your cash for that one.
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 10:30 pm

Originally posted by NoodleSYD
Yea, don't bother with an international one and as for a UK photolicence - places here will just look blankly at it. Someone in front of me at Blockbuster tried to use his UK photolicence to open an account and they weren't interested "Australian Only"...

You'll need to convert to an Aussie (photo)licence within 3 months of moving here anyway - it's just a knowledge test then a straight swap from your UK one these days (paper or plastic makes no difference).

Since the Aussie one costs - save your cash for that one.
Yes an Aussie license is very useful. BTW only Permanent Residents need to convert to an Aussie license within 3 months.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 12:24 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Don't bother. Your old green or pink licence is ok. As for an international driving licence - again don't bother, it's a waste of time and your money.

If you do want photo ID in Aus, which is a must - you do need it for joining clubs etc and even posting international parcels these days (and you do not have an AU driving licence) go and get yourself an over 18 card when you get here. You get them from the transport offices (same place you get the AU driving licence). An over 18 card is just as acceptable as a driver licence for ID in Aus.

All you need to do is take your passport and proof of residence in your particular state (like an old bill) - they'll issue you one on the spot.
Been driving for 6 years here on my old Brit non photo licence ( only a couple of weeks ago I got an Au one ) For ID I've been using an over 18 card.

cheers
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 12:44 am

Originally posted by Ceri
Don't bother. Your old green or pink licence is ok. As for an international driving licence - again don't bother, it's a waste of time and your money.

If you do want photo ID in Aus, which is a must - you do need it for joining clubs etc and even posting international parcels these days (and you do not have an AU driving licence) go and get yourself an over 18 card when you get here. You get them from the transport offices (same place you get the AU driving licence). An over 18 card is just as acceptable as a driver licence for ID in Aus.

All you need to do is take your passport and proof of residence in your particular state (like an old bill) - they'll issue you one on the spot.
Been driving for 6 years here on my old Brit non photo licence ( only a couple of weeks ago I got an Au one ) For ID I've been using an over 18 card.

cheers
Yes but for those years you have been PR you have been driving illegally and uninsured.

You are correct the Aussie license is the most widely accepted piece of ID but surely they must accept other forms of ID for sending parcels.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 1:15 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by bondipom
Yes but for those years you have been PR you have been driving illegally
oooooo lock me up and throw away the key..lol, gawd it's boring being legal.

Anyway just saying if the guy or girl does not want an au licence, a non PR or citizen (you don't need one if your not one of these) , an over 18 card is the next best thing to a licence for ID.

Regarding parcels - my local PO asks for a photo ID.

cheers
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 2:12 am

Originally posted by Ceri
oooooo lock me up and throw away the key..lol, gawd it's boring being legal.
What about some Singapore style punishment that you advocate. Flog em.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.