old student coming to Oz

old student coming to Oz

Old Jun 28th 2004, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

rowlie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default old student coming to Oz

Hello everyone.
When I say old I mean 31!
I am starting a two year horticultural course (cert IV) in Feb' '05.
My husband and my two kids are coming with me to Victoria.
I feel as though I am the only one doing this.We couldn't wait two years to get out there so we thought we'd do it this way.
Could anyone out there answer a few questions please....
I've had to get student medical insurance,will this be for all of us or just me?
Do I have to get my son enrolled in school before we go?
How soon can I get my medicals done?Has anyone used a good doctor in the southwest?
Has anyone been to Geelong?????????
Thankyou
Rowlie
Old Jun 29th 2004, 5:43 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: old student coming to Oz

Originally posted by rowlie
Hello everyone.
I feel as though I am the only one doing this.We couldn't wait two years to get out there so we thought we'd do it this way.
I've had to get student medical insurance,will this be for all of us or just me?
How soon can I get my medicals done?Has anyone used a good doctor in the southwest?
Thankyou
Rowlie

Can't answer all your questions but I know you can enroll your son in school once you get here, you don't have to do it before you come out, especially as you don't seem to sure where you will be living.

I'm pretty sure you can get your medicals done anytime but others might know better.

As for Geelong, Ive been through it a few times & it looks great, its about an hour from Melbourne CBD area & sits right on the coast.
Good luck with it all
Old Jun 29th 2004, 9:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Have you got a PR application in the system? Or are you hoping for PR when you complete your course - if so, I hope you have a specific plan and understand the risks that things may not work out in the end?

You seem unclear on your long term plans. If you qualify for PR now it makes sense to make an application now, and not necessarily wait to apply in future when you may find yourself ineligible.

I'd have a look at Victoria's state migration website:
http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au

Concerning insurance, DIMIA's website states that family members should be included in your health cover. Your visa grant letters should make this clear.

Your husband will only have limited work rights, and you'll have to apply for this after commencing your course.

You also need to check with the Victoria state education department about whether you will be liable for school fees for your children to attend a government school (this is NSW policy for temporary residents but may be different in VIC).

Jeremy

Hello everyone.
Thankyou
Rowlie
Old Jun 29th 2004, 9:58 am
J0E
Just Joined

J0E is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone.
Thankyou
Rowlie
Hi Rowlie, you're not alone, I'm starting a nursing degree at Qld Uni in Feb 05 so I hope I can assist you a little!
You have to get OSHC (medical ins) when you enrol as the college won't release ECoE without it. You should be able to get it through the college at preferential rates and you pay for all the family together.
Go to www.education.vic.gov.au for info. on schools. You have to pay fees before visa app. so the Education Dept can issue COE for your son for visa purposes. When the Education Dept. has received fees they will issue a receipt which you will be required to show the school, as well as the child's passport and COE form to enrol him. The choice of school is entirely yours. Ask the college, as they should be able to offer you assistance here.
Medicals just need to be done prior to visa app. We haven't had ours done yet but I'm looking into it this month so we can get booked in, because I don't know how far in advance they work. Panel doctors - www.australia.org.uk/vti/FORMS/DOCTOR/PDF.
Hope this assists - good luck!
Jo.