Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Old bank account!

Old bank account!

Old Sep 21st 2006, 3:24 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Old bank account!

Hi guys, wonder if any of you are in the know? I used to have an ANZ account in 1998 and i left at the start of 99. I havent used the account since. I would guess that it was closed or suspended after this amount of time. So my question is. If i went to ANZ to open an account and told them i used to have one. Would i get hit for bank charges? I wouldnt think so. But you just never know with banks. Any thoughts guys?
Old Sep 21st 2006, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old bank account!

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Would i get hit for bank charges?... But you just never know with banks.
Yes you do know with banks!

All bank employees have "charges" ingrained into their mindset and are trained to impose them whenever possible and argue their validity afterwoods. Go to another bank and hope you are not on the CRA list.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys, wonder if any of you are in the know? I used to have an ANZ account in 1998 and i left at the start of 99. I havent used the account since. I would guess that it was closed or suspended after this amount of time. So my question is. If i went to ANZ to open an account and told them i used to have one. Would i get hit for bank charges? I wouldnt think so. But you just never know with banks. Any thoughts guys?

Aye Pal. Just give them a bit of waffle and if they hit you about the charges, just tell em to stick their charges right up their erse!
Old Sep 21st 2006, 10:01 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Tell them something terrible happened to you...you lost your memory, it's only just come back and the first thing you remembered was that you had an account with ANZ. It set you on the way to recovery...it's a miracle. Not only will you get your account back but you'll also be on the cover of ANZ magazine as a good news story...job done
Old Sep 21st 2006, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

They "go dormant" after seven years. You are unlikely to be liable for any charges. I'd go to them asap and find out what has happened to the account. Did you leave any money in it?
Old Sep 21st 2006, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Did you leave any money in it?
Dont be ridiculous! He's a Scot, like me!!!
Old Sep 21st 2006, 10:13 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephen
Dont be ridiculous! He's a Scot, like me!!!

I'm Scottish too...I still remember the £10 I left in the Alliance and Leicester about 10 years ago...does this mean that they to have taken my money as their own???
pah
Old Sep 21st 2006, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by busterboy
I'm Scottish too...I still remember the £10 I left in the Alliance and Leicester about 10 years ago...does this mean that they to have taken my money as their own???
pah

Talking about b(w)anks, I recently wrote to teh Clydesdale Bank to close an old account with a £5 balance (I live in Ireland now), they replied that I must have another UK account to transfer the money to: I replied I live in Ireland, I dont have a UK bank account...they replied that they will only close account by bank draft in that case which costs £15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

****** robbin b**********
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
pah

Rules are different in the UK.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 5:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Stephen
Talking about b(w)anks, I recently wrote to teh Clydesdale Bank to close an old account with a £5 balance (I live in Ireland now), they replied that I must have another UK account to transfer the money to: I replied I live in Ireland, I dont have a UK bank account...they replied that they will only close account by bank draft in that case which costs £15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

****** robbin b**********

U can transfer it to me