Reload this Page >

Okay so getting a cruise to Aussie is out

Okay so getting a cruise to Aussie is out

Old Dec 11th 2006, 4:44 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Okay so getting a cruise to Aussie is out

Hiya

Due to the fact I was sick for HOURS on the way to Australia earlier in the year i suggested to hubby maybe we could go by cruise ship ?
I've just checked prices and unless we win lottery we certainly won't be doing that !!!! It's at least £5,000 per person.
Bugger it I hate flying.

Jen
Old Dec 11th 2006, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Okay so getting a cruise to Aussie is out

Originally Posted by JenJen
Hiya

Due to the fact I was sick for HOURS on the way to Australia earlier in the year i suggested to hubby maybe we could go by cruise ship ?
I've just checked prices and unless we win lottery we certainly won't be doing that !!!! It's at least £5,000 per person.
Bugger it I hate flying.

Jen

Use alcohol to self-sedate?!
(Not a serious recommendation! Is is that you're phobic or 'just' horrendously travel sick? There are lots of remedies etc for the sickness)
Old Dec 11th 2006, 4:47 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya

Bugger it I hate flying.

Jen

How long does it take Jen?
Old Dec 11th 2006, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya

Bugger it I hate flying.

Jen

I must be the worst flyer in all time and i managed to fly fron Newcastle to Melbourne Via Hong Kong and took herbal Kalms they really helped with my fear.
i felt calmer and hubby told BA and Qantas how sacred i was and they were brill. Once i took off the look of sheer panic soon disapperared while i watched the movies etc.
im sure you will be fine
Mandy
Old Dec 11th 2006, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

yolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya

Bugger it I hate flying.

Jen
When we flew to Oz 8 years ago, i thought i had escaped the travel sickness, wrong! left Kula Lumpar and was sick within 2 hours of arriving in Sydney for the rest of the journey! 20 hours fine and then the airsickness
This time i will be taking tablets or something to help and will get stuff for the kids too.
We looked at a cruise too, but with six if us it was going to be horribly expensive and six weeks on a boat figured i did not need to be that horrible to myself, i get stupidly sea sick!
Old Dec 11th 2006, 6:37 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya

Bugger it I hate flying.

Jen
Can you tell me who that was with as my dad is unable to fly and has tried to search for liners to Aus with no avail.......... I know the QE2 sails to Perth but thts about it. C x
Old Dec 11th 2006, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

winni is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya

Bugger it I hate flying.

Jen

Have you looked at classic international cruise, we looked at coming last year on their ship called the Funchal, it was under £2000 per person. It cruise's in Nov from Greece and into Freemantle.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 8:40 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by winni
Have you looked at classic international cruise, we looked at coming last year on their ship called the Funchal, it was under £2000 per person. It cruise's in Nov from Greece and into Freemantle.
Isnt there a train that gets you from Europe to China... that'd be quite an experience and got to be quicker than ship. I think the nearest land mass from australia that is connected to other land masses is still a 7 hr flight from Brisbane/Melbourne/Sydney (Singapore is 7hrs - Hong Kong is 8hrs - yes i know sing is an island...).

I just looked - you can go from London->Paris on train, then Paris->Korea on trans-siberian, get a ferry from Korea to China, then Train to Hong Kong, and probably a ship from there to Aus. Or you could go from Korea -> Singapore and get a ship from there.

That'd be a pretty cool journey. (well - freezing in fact in some places)

Edit : Im intrigued now , there is a book i found - the thomas cook international timetable, contains timetables for trains in all countries in the world (wow!) its 11 pounds (get it from library too I bet )
http://www.thomascookpublishing.com/...=23&book_id=46

Last edited by spalen; Dec 11th 2006 at 8:46 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
Use alcohol to self-sedate?!
(Not a serious recommendation! Is is that you're phobic or 'just' horrendously travel sick? There are lots of remedies etc for the sickness)

Does anybody know how to cope with severe flying phobia?
I am going alone with two young kids, so "knock out" remedies aren't useful, as the baby will be annoyed with me!
Old Dec 11th 2006, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
I am going alone with two young kids, so "knock out" remedies aren't useful, as the baby will be annoyed with me!

See if you can go for hypnosis or go to the courses that some of the airports run to help people over come flying
Mandy
Old Dec 11th 2006, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

yolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
I used to be terrified of planes, you get tiny ones from Northern Ireland to mainland UK! but figured I had to put on a brave face for my daughter who was 18 months at the time, by the time we got to Sydney, i was over my fear, too bored of planes to care any more!
Old Dec 11th 2006, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

coggerocks2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by spalen
Isnt there a train that gets you from Europe to China... that'd be quite an experience and got to be quicker than ship. I think the nearest land mass from australia that is connected to other land masses is still a 7 hr flight from Brisbane/Melbourne/Sydney (Singapore is 7hrs - Hong Kong is 8hrs - yes i know sing is an island...).

I just looked - you can go from London->Paris on train, then Paris->Korea on trans-siberian, get a ferry from Korea to China, then Train to Hong Kong, and probably a ship from there to Aus. Or you could go from Korea -> Singapore and get a ship from there.

That'd be a pretty cool journey. (well - freezing in fact in some places)

Edit : Im intrigued now , there is a book i found - the thomas cook international timetable, contains timetables for trains in all countries in the world (wow!) its 11 pounds (get it from library too I bet )
This is smilar to the way I arrived.. including a trip to mongolia and a boat from Korea to Japan. I took 4 months doing it though. And it wasnt freezing Siberia in summer is very nice, a bit like canada I'd say!
Old Dec 11th 2006, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen

I had a copy of the European ed a few years ago It really was worthwhile when I was Eurailing it.

www.seat61.com is a rail guru.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 10:58 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

What to remember about cruises to australia is that it is normally part of the ships round the world cruise, so it will only dock at whichever port you want to disrmbark at for a day or two, so if you are using the voyage as a way of visitng rellies for a few months getting back would be a problem, most companies offer fly cruises so you cruise one way fly the other, but thats not much use if soemone wants to use it due to being medically unfit to fly. There is the option of using container ships, most have the facilities to carry a few passangers and it is considerably cheaper than a cruise, but then i'd imagine it would be considerably more dull than a cruise, but it still works out to be much more than a flight would cost. There are a couple of UK based companies who organise passages on freighters although i can't recall any of the names right now, but i'm sure google will come up with something.

Lynn
Old Dec 12th 2006, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yolandacharm
I used to be terrified of planes, you get tiny ones from Northern Ireland to mainland UK! but figured I had to put on a brave face for my daughter who was 18 months at the time, by the time we got to Sydney, i was over my fear, too bored of planes to care any more!
I know about the tiny planes :scared: I used to live in Belfast and Derry!! From Belfast city airport, teeny weeny tiny planes, revolting.

Hubby and I flew in the cockpit from Belfast International to Birmingham once (normal sized plane) it was brilliant, now if I could do that on every trip I would be fine. That way I could keep an eye on the pilots to make sure they are doing everything correctly, LOL. I told the pilot that I was scared of flying, and he said he was as well!! Silly sod!!

I didn't have a huge problem with flying then, but I have a massive phobia now, much worse than before, I have now Idea why but I just can't do it anymore.

Last edited by Rosie Cheeks; Dec 12th 2006 at 12:15 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.