Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OK, who's had the worse morning

OK, who's had the worse morning

Old May 5th 2004, 2:18 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Red face OK, who's had the worse morning

ME!!!!!!!!

I just had my house on fire!!!

It starts innocently enough, Hevs, armed with heat paint stripper goes to take very yukky brown paint off rotten outside window.
Clears and digs away the rotten corner then cranks up heat gun. A piece of hanging wood catches fire (unbeknown to me) above my hand. When it lands on my hand i yelp and shake off the ember and with a kind of comedic timing it flys off and falls down the hole left by me digging out the rot.

This hole is an unknown entitity, it just goes under the hose somewhere, so i wait. And yes, you guessed it, smoke starts to wind its way out of the hole!!! So i run round the house desperately seeking a bucket, couldn't locate one, so grabbed the nearest thing to get some water into. A VB bottle brought round the side of the house by the bloody dog!

Anyway i chuck the water down the hole and all seems well. Well for a minute, then i hear a faint crackling noise, puts my ear to the hole and singe my head, it was very hot, and jesus H theres even more somke!! :scared:

So this time i run for the hose, gets it round there, its about 2 meters short "f*uch ***** *****" I yell, now begining to panick. So i get some more water in me bottles and three more VB 's later and all seems quiet.

Then my very vivid imagination goes into over drive and all the scenarios known to "The What If brigade" pop into my head.

I then remember the new trapdoor in the study, it goes under the house, so i run back round only to find all of the bathroom reno stuff on top of the sodding trap door. I shove the new toilet (could have done with using it!) out of the way, a new door and then gets me to a box of books that i can't move, so i sit on the floor and start pushing with my feet. At this point in time i realise i'm making those high pitched wimpering noises that only come with having the biggest of panicks!!

Anyway hatch out, i go grab a torch and look under only to see a vast amount of electric cabling leading to all the plug points in this end of the house. These were covered in water (great shot!) But no further smoke PHEW! I got underneath just to check there were no smoldery bits, and that was scary as the spider webs were thicker than the wool i use to darn HUPs socks, but it had to be done.

Anyway the said hole is now filled and drying, needless to say i won't be back out there till it does!
Old May 5th 2004, 2:37 am
rudo1ph

Sorry, couldn't help laughing!!!

But are you OK??!!!:scared: Sit down and have a cuppa.....maybe with a little something extra added to it!!!

Old May 5th 2004, 2:43 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby wet himself when i rang him!
I've stopped shaking now and i'm having a cuppa, i talked myself out of a stiff one (DRINK) cos its too early!

PS. i'm fine apart form a singed hand and head!
Old May 5th 2004, 2:45 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rudo1ph
maybe with a little something extra added to it!!!
I think it was her "sniffing" the cooking sherry that led to this in the first place .

Darn my socks?

Old May 5th 2004, 2:47 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally posted by HUP
Darn my socks
Whats wrong with them dear
Old May 5th 2004, 2:47 am
rudo1ph

Originally posted by hevs
My hubby wet himself when i rang him!
I've stopped shaking now and i'm having a cuppa, i talked myself out of a stiff one (DRINK) cos its too early!

PS. i'm fine apart form a singed hand and head!

I'm so glad you qualified the "stiff one"
Attached Images  

Old May 5th 2004, 2:51 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Whats wrong with them dear
Distinctly undarned last time I looked.
Old May 5th 2004, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

i talked myself out of a stiff one (DRINK) cos its too early!
Hevs

Never too early to have a drink

Hope that you're okay now and have settled a bit. Strange how things always happen to you....once again you had me in hysterics.

Take care
Old May 5th 2004, 3:05 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally posted by Jaykay
Strange how things always happen to you
Some mothers do have 'em mate

Anyway i'm off to darn matts socks. YEAH course i am
nope off to do some more burning, just keep your eyes peeled for smoke in the S/E burbs and call triple 0!!!!
Old May 5th 2004, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Anyway i'm off to darn matts socks. YEAH course i am
I've actually got a proper device to darn socks if you want to borrow it

It's very strange looking and I have no idea what it's called but you stick it inside the sock and it's much easier to hold the sock with it

Confused? I am which is probably why I've never used it!!

Regards
Old May 5th 2004, 3:16 am
rudo1ph

Please can I send you some more to do Hevs? You sound like such an expert. My hubby has decided to "retire" some of his socks, but maybe you could bring them back into service

Old May 5th 2004, 3:31 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

See, if you had had some tupperware then you wouldnt have had the problem. What else would any self respecting aussie woman use to carry water in to put out a fire?

A VB bottle - well I ask you

Old May 5th 2004, 3:40 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

At ya didn't use the metho you had been drinking!
Old May 5th 2004, 4:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Think how much tupperware you could've stored in that hole Hevs!
Glad you're OK mate - keep the laughs coming to keep us amused!!
Old May 5th 2004, 4:33 am
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: OK, who's had the worse morning

ME!!!!!!!!

I just had my house on fire!!!

It starts innocently enough, Hevs, armed with heat paint stripper goes to take very yukky brown paint off rotten outside window.
Clears and digs away the rotten corner then cranks up heat gun. A piece of hanging wood catches fire (unbeknown to me) above my hand. When it lands on my hand i yelp and shake off the ember and with a kind of comedic timing it flys off and falls down the hole left by me digging out the rot.

This hole is an unknown entitity, it just goes under the hose somewhere, so i wait. And yes, you guessed it, smoke starts to wind its way out of the hole!!! So i run round the house desperately seeking a bucket, couldn't locate one, so grabbed the nearest thing to get some water into. A VB bottle brought round the side of the house by the bloody dog!

Anyway i chuck the water down the hole and all seems well. Well for a minute, then i hear a faint crackling noise, puts my ear to the hole and singe my head, it was very hot, and jesus H theres even more somke!! :scared:

So this time i run for the hose, gets it round there, its about 2 meters short "f*uch ***** *****" I yell, now begining to panick. So i get some more water in me bottles and three more VB 's later and all seems quiet.

Then my very vivid imagination goes into over drive and all the scenarios known to "The What If brigade" pop into my head.

I then remember the new trapdoor in the study, it goes under the house, so i run back round only to find all of the bathroom reno stuff on top of the sodding trap door. I shove the new toilet (could have done with using it!) out of the way, a new door and then gets me to a box of books that i can't move, so i sit on the floor and start pushing with my feet. At this point in time i realise i'm making those high pitched wimpering noises that only come with having the biggest of panicks!!

Anyway hatch out, i go grab a torch and look under only to see a vast amount of electric cabling leading to all the plug points in this end of the house. These were covered in water (great shot!) But no further smoke PHEW! I got underneath just to check there were no smoldery bits, and that was scary as the spider webs were thicker than the wool i use to darn HUPs socks, but it had to be done.

Anyway the said hole is now filled and drying, needless to say i won't be back out there till it does!

LOL!!!!!

Well done to the little woman, what a relief hey
I was begining to panic for you as a read down the post!:scared:

You soon forget in England the piece of falling wood that was ablaze would have been extinguished on your soaking wet hair from all the rain.
Made me smile so much Hevs Ta.

See ya.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.