Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

is it ok when you get your visa, to travel for a few months around oz

Wikiposts

is it ok when you get your visa, to travel for a few months around oz

Old Jul 6th 2004, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

sooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the rough
Default is it ok when you get your visa, to travel for a few months around oz

Just wondering if its ok when you get your visa, if its ok to travel around for a few months?

We are still uncertain as to whether we'd prefer Brisbane or Melbourne. My husband reckons there are more job opportunities for us in Melbourne but i think id rather Brisbane after seeing the Gold Coast etc... this way if we get there and do a recky, it will be easier doing it in a couple of months rather than a few weeks on holiday there.......

any suggestions please!
Old Jul 6th 2004, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

Steve58 is an unknown quantity at this point

Go for it. Once you have the visa you can travel as much as you like. There are no restrictions attached to a visa that say you must find emplyment within a certain timescale, that I know of.

We intend doing the same thing.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

sooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the roughsooz&abby is a jewel in the rough

Cool thanks for that - where do you plan on living??
Old Jul 7th 2004, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

JayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: is it ok when you get your visa, to travel for a few months around oz

I plan to do just that - sydney in August then next year perhaps sunshine coast and maybe perth!
Old Jul 7th 2004, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Steve58 is an unknown quantity at this point

We havnt decided where we are gonna live yet. The plan is .. buy a camper, travel and see some sights . Do some WWOOFing for a while and learn some new skills and then eventually settle down. If that takes a couple of months, fine. If it takes a couple of years, even better
Old Jul 7th 2004, 7:07 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Steve58
Go for it. Once you have the visa you can travel as much as you like. There are no restrictions attached to a visa that say you must find emplyment within a certain timescale, that I know of.

We intend doing the same thing.
If its a standard PR visa, then absolutely NO restrictions;
other Visa's, I have no idea.

Old Jul 7th 2004, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

pclrock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel OZ first

HI,
Got visa 1st May.
I have a 2 year contract, (RSMS) have to fulfil contract to remain in OZ. The hospial have agreed that I need not start work until we have traveled around oz. Once you start work the opportunity is gone to have a reasonable length of time to see the 'real Australia'

LJ

Old Jul 7th 2004, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

bob and ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default travelling around Australia

I reckon it sounds a bloody good idea . . . . to travel around a bit and see what Australia's made of.
I landed in Fremantle, worked 3 months in Perth before trekking across the Nullarbor to South Aus, where I promptly pulled up for 3 months.
I knew I'd always be wondering if the grass is really greener on the other side, so I had to check it out first.
Went for a weekend to Melbourne. Spent a week in Sydney before flying across the Tasman to work 5 months in Auckland to see if New Zealand was greener, which it was cos' it rained every day!, and did 2 months on the Queensland Railways.
Personally, I ended up in Adelaide, but it could be because I got to know a great lady here before I took off to NZ.
That was in 1973.
Happy wanderings.
Old Jul 8th 2004, 2:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel OZ first

Your visa grant letter should have explained to you clearly the special obligations that RSMS visa holders have to work for their sponsoring employers.

However, a few months holiday with employer's consent won't cause you any problems.

Jeremy

Originally posted by pclrock
HI,
Got visa 1st May.
I have a 2 year contract, (RSMS) have to fulfil contract to remain in OZ. The hospial have agreed that I need not start work until we have traveled around oz. Once you start work the opportunity is gone to have a reasonable length of time to see the 'real Australia'

LJ

Old Jul 8th 2004, 6:35 am
Just Joined

pclrock is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that JaJ.

I am well aware of my sponsorship contract. The last thing I would want to do is jeporadise my visa. Thanks any way.

LJ