Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ok whats about to kick me in the wallet

Ok whats about to kick me in the wallet

Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:27 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ok whats about to kick me in the wallet

Hi

Ok looks like the process of sorting stuff out in the UK is coming to a close and the UK is sucking the last pennies out of my pocket along with Quantas and the shipping agents.

So in October Mr & Mrs Zambia arrive in Melbourne

Now thanks to a little lazyness in the house repairs we got hit with a few bills prior to leaving.

So it looks as if the arriving in Oz fund is at £3500 sterling $8611 approx rate depending.

So when we land I would like you nice people to fore warn me if you can the bills the are going to fly at us.

These are the bills I expect and my estimates if anyone can add more please do so.

1: Rent & Bound I have this at 380 a week for a house to rent after we move out of my mates house so thats
1600 in bound and a months rent straight up 1600
Eastern Melbourne is my expected residential area.

2: I also expect an AQIS fee for the shipping of about $600

3: I expect a fee to change my licence to an Victorian one $?

4: I have estimated $500 as Miscellanous expenses. like utility connection fees.

5: Car cheap and reasonable I have a car fund for this purposes besides the 3500

Can anyone think of any more or if my estimation are bogus.

Oh and as a side note what are rental property's attitudes to pets. Dogs and cats like ..
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice
Default Re: Ok whats about to kick me in the wallet

Originally Posted by Zambia
Hi

Ok looks like the process of sorting stuff out in the UK is coming to a close and the UK is sucking the last pennies out of my pocket along with Quantas and the shipping agents.

Now thanks to a little lazyness in the house repairs we got hit with a few bills prior to leaving.

So it looks as if the arriving in Oz fund is at £3500 sterling $8611 approx rate depending.

So when we land I would like you nice people to fore warn me if you can the bills the are going to fly at us.

These are the bills I expect and my estimates if anyone can add more please do so.

1: Rent & Bound I have this at 380 a week for a house to rent after we move out of my mates house so thats

4: I have estimated $500 as Miscellanous expenses. like utility connection fees.

5: Car cheap and reasonable I have a car fund for this purposes besides the 3500

Oh and as a side note what are rental property's attitudes to pets. Dogs and cats like ..
I'd just save as many pennies as you can, there are people on here who arrived with less than $5k and managed fine, you'll just have to watch the cashflow until you start getting paycheques... Do you already have a job out here?
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:01 pm

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheDangerousQuietOne
I'd just save as many pennies as you can, there are people on here who arrived with less than $5k and managed fine, you'll just have to watch the cashflow until you start getting paycheques... Do you already have a job out here?
Nope but wont be renting till we get one
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:10 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Dont forget initial set up costs, coat hangers, beds, iron pots and pans ironing board, phone(s) the lists goes on and on. Its the little stuff that catches you out and mounts up!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

dave wood will become famous soon enough

Here is a list of our first coastings from june this year [Queensland]

Rental $450/week so bond $1800
Two weeks rent up front $900
driving licences x 4 $280
blue card [construction x 3 $210
blue card childcare $70 i think
Car small 2 year old ghetz $9300
stamp duty on car $300
RACQ roadside assist $55
car insurance $615 [includes 18 yr old]
cheap mobile phone $70
several p a y go sim cards $150
furniture pack from a mart $3000
beds from a mart $2000
washing machine $500
kettle,toaster,microwave
iron,ironing board maiden
etc etc $200
Gas licence for work $55
admin costs to get english
certificates assessed $80 ish

probably missed a few

good luck with the move

p s you will be restricting youre choice for a rental if you bring a pet.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:29 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dave wood
Here is a list of our first coastings from june this year [Queensland]

Rental $450/week so bond $1800
Two weeks rent up front $900
driving licences x 4 $280
blue card [construction x 3 $210
blue card childcare $70 i think
Car small 2 year old ghetz $9300
stamp duty on car $300
RACQ roadside assist $55
car insurance $615 [includes 18 yr old]
cheap mobile phone $70
several p a y go sim cards $150
furniture pack from a mart $3000
beds from a mart $2000
washing machine $500
kettle,toaster,microwave
iron,ironing board maiden
etc etc $200
Gas licence for work $55
admin costs to get english
certificates assessed $80 ish

probably missed a few

good luck with the move

p s you will be restricting youre choice for a rental if you bring a pet.
Spot on Dave ...lol
Old Oct 10th 2008, 4:37 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Nope but wont be renting till we get one
Where will you be staying until then?

How will you be viewing cars/jobs/rental properties?
Old Oct 10th 2008, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Where will you be staying until then?

How will you be viewing cars/jobs/rental properties?
Will be staying with a mate of mine in Ocean grove just south of you. They have internet Petrol to melbourne is gonna hurt initially.

Cheers Dave the was a great list you sent helped a lot