Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ok, tell me the worst.... Telstra

Ok, tell me the worst.... Telstra

Old Dec 28th 2005, 8:11 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ok, tell me the worst.... Telstra

To give a potted history:

We moved to our new house, we were promised by Optus they would provide Broadband, turns out they can't. Nor can anyone else.

So, the only option to get broadband is via the cable (Foxtel). The only company (as far as I am aware) that do that is Telstra. So question:

Are Telstra really as bad as everyone says? Does anyone use them? Is there any other option?

Is it legal to shoot the Optus engineer who said we could get Broadband? So many questions, only one gun...

ADL
Old Dec 28th 2005, 8:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ok, tell me the worst.... Telstra

Originally Posted by A dogs life

We moved to our new house, we were promised by Optus they would provide Broadband, turns out they can't. Nor can anyone else.

So, the only option to get broadband is via the cable (Foxtel). The only company (as far as I am aware) that do that is Telstra. So question:

Are Telstra really as bad as everyone says? Does anyone use them? Is there any other option?

Is it legal to shoot the Optus engineer who said we could get Broadband? So many questions, only one gun...

ADL
Have you put your phone number into Whirlpool and see what it comes up with:

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/
Old Dec 28th 2005, 8:50 am

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

ADL
Not an expert I know and have only had Telstra for 6 weeks, but no problems and very pleased with unlimited Broadband plan. It was easy to install although had one problem (my pc, not telstra) but the technical guy really knew what he was talking about and talked me through and solved it in 5mins.
I went for the 512k unlimited plan, I have heard that the limited plans are pretty useless, very slow and you use up your limit pretty quickly.

You are so lucky, I would have loved to have had a pc when my children were born, would have been great to have had the internet to keep me company through those lonely nights instead of crappy middle of the night tv that we had back then. OMG, just read that back and realised I am getting old
Old Dec 28th 2005, 8:53 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Compared with a choice of broadband or no broadband id go for telstra.

I heard some optus engineers down the pub the other day, one of them was telling a story about some irish guy trying to scam his sister who worked in a newsagents out of 50$ and lo and behold he'd had to quote for broadband at this guys house out in the sticks and shafted him proper by saying they could get broadband when the exchange wasnt due to be upgraded until 2010...

id send you karma but youve just had some in spades by sound of it ;-)
Old Dec 28th 2005, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Have you put your phone number into Whirlpool and see what it comes up with:

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/

Yeah it lies...

It all depends on the distance from the phone exchange, so whilst our phone exchange at Wellington Point is setup for ADSL, we are too far from it.

So Whirlpool, Optus and every other organisation will tell me there is a chance of getting broadband, but they are wrong. Until they stick in the fibre optic nodes then I know there is no chance of Broadband here(you can tell I've been reading up on this ). The fibre optic nodes will mean there is no customers outside the 1.5 Km reach of broadband. But Optus or Telstra can't give me a time line for when Wellington point exchange is getting its nodes sorted

So its Telstra cable or Dial up....

wooo sodding hooo...

ADL
Old Dec 28th 2005, 8:58 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

have you thought about one of the mobile broadband offerings? i used to have orange mobile broadband in uk it was ok - expensive tho. maybe yu can get that in your house

i was going to post a huge graphic here just to irritate you and your 56k modem
Old Dec 28th 2005, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by spalen
Compared with a choice of broadband or no broadband id go for telstra.

I heard some optus engineers down the pub the other day, one of them was telling a story about some irish guy trying to scam his sister who worked in a newsagents out of 50$ and lo and behold he'd had to quote for broadband at this guys house out in the sticks and shafted him proper by saying they could get broadband when the exchange wasnt due to be upgraded until 2010...

id send you karma but youve just had some in spades by sound of it ;-)

I say give the job to PCCW. They sound like they know what their doing.

Its all bloody amateurs here.

Actually dial-up isn't that bad. We just get the odd call on the mobile from the in-laws complaining they can never get through.

Like I say, not all bad
Old Dec 28th 2005, 9:47 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

ADL
Personally, when I moved in I had Optus. Over a few weeks of abysmal service and lies from staff over their mobile phone package, we moved the mobile phones to Vodafone (no problems at all) and broadbane to telstra. Only had one minor problem with routing but in the year with them so far, no problems. Pay $69.95 for unlimited downloads (I think). Plus have Foxtel (waste of money!) and house phone so get 125 local calls a month free.

I would like to find a cheaper service if one is available!!!

Andrew
Old Dec 28th 2005, 10:06 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

We went for Telstra for broadband only had a few weeks but no major problems so far.

Before that we had dial up for $8.99 from www.lizzy.com.au (think it is aol in aus's name) and had no problems there either.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by spalen
have you thought about one of the mobile broadband offerings? i used to have orange mobile broadband in uk it was ok - expensive tho. maybe yu can get that in your house

i was going to post a huge graphic here just to irritate you and your 56k modem

We did look at wireless broadband options.But they were very expensive, as were satellite.

I did have one guy who said if I sit outside *** ****** raby bay, I could get free broadband. But he had a weird twitch about him, cant trust those guys. Probably wants the lappy,

ADL

Last edited by A dogs life; Dec 28th 2005 at 10:26 am.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 10:44 am
ah-beng

Probably wants the lappy,

ADL

you mean lappy like hugh grant?
Old Dec 28th 2005, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

We did look at wireless broadband options.But they were very expensive, as were satellite.

I did have one guy who said if I sit outside *** ****** raby bay, I could get free broadband. But he had a weird twitch about him, cant trust those guys. Probably wants the lappy,

ADL

If your close enough to Arkon's place you could plug into his whilst he is away
Old Dec 28th 2005, 11:05 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

You should be able to get some could dl speed on Telstra cable (8mgs or something). I really dont knw how much their plans are for cable but its their ADSL plans that really do suck. Just make sure you have Gigs and not megs for dl at a reasonable price and you will be right
Old Dec 28th 2005, 11:20 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

We have Telstra phone at home here, no problems with them but our ADSL is with someone else.

We have Optus in both rentals for phone & broadband - they are affectionately (*cough*!) nicknamed Opeless in our household.

That should tell you something .
Old Dec 28th 2005, 12:10 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
If your close enough to Arkon's place you could plug into his whilst he is away
What! Give him something to moan about - oh please don't :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.