Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it ok to take ornamental jars with food?

Is it ok to take ornamental jars with food?

Old Nov 6th 2006, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

MightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to behold
Default Is it ok to take ornamental jars with food?

We have jars with cherries, oranges, apricots, redcurrants...and also various oils etc...in our kitchen. Are these ok to be shipped over?

Also - our wedding flowers were dried and put into 3 display pictures - what's the chances of these being opened up by customs? If so then I'd rather leave with relatives here.
x
Old Nov 6th 2006, 7:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it ok to take ornamental jars with food?

Originally Posted by MightyMouse
We have jars with cherries, oranges, apricots, redcurrants...and also various oils etc...in our kitchen. Are these ok to be shipped over?

Also - our wedding flowers were dried and put into 3 display pictures - what's the chances of these being opened up by customs? If so then I'd rather leave with relatives here.
x
No fruit or dried flowers, sorry
Old Nov 6th 2006, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

MightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to beholdMightyMouse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No fruit or dried flowers, sorry
Thanks
Out of interest - what would happen to them if packed? Will definately leave the flowers but curious about the jars as no big deal if they were chucked..
Old Nov 6th 2006, 8:23 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Out of interest - what would happen to them if packed? Will definately leave the flowers but curious about the jars as no big deal if they were chucked..
They will be destroyed by AQIS at a cost to yourself - they charge per item and you pay before they release the rest of your goods. The jars would be OK if you empty them and clean them thoroughly, its the fruit itself that is banned.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Keith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
They will be destroyed by AQIS at a cost to yourself - they charge per item and you pay before they release the rest of your goods. The jars would be OK if you empty them and clean them thoroughly, its the fruit itself that is banned.

Was wonderin the same thing myself, I have 3 sealed bottles containin vanilla sugar, amarreto syrup and a few NUTS floating at the top and ground cocoa, they were a 40th birthday pressie, but if I can't take them I will open them and use them. I would prefer to take them if poss, have checked aqis and can't find exactly what i'm lookin for. Can you shed any light? Lol x
Old Nov 6th 2006, 9:33 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Keith&Lol
Was wonderin the same thing myself, I have 3 sealed bottles containin vanilla sugar, amarreto syrup and a few NUTS floating at the top and ground cocoa, they were a 40th birthday pressie, but if I can't take them I will open them and use them. I would prefer to take them if poss, have checked aqis and can't find exactly what i'm lookin for. Can you shed any light? Lol x
Nuts definitely a no go.
The cocoa and sugar probably OK but not certain.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

dolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud of

x

Consume what u can. Leave with ur relativesothers.
I think company sealed foodstuff, half or fully cooked r allowed. So fav chocolates can go.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 2:51 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Polly there is half a packet of fig biscuits at the back of the cupboard can I take them?
Old Nov 6th 2006, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

aarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really niceaarancam is just really nice

Originally Posted by possoms
Polly there is half a packet of fig biscuits at the back of the cupboard can I take them?
what about face creams and hair gells (unopened) etc.?
Old Nov 6th 2006, 5:01 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aarancam
what about face creams and hair gells (unopened) etc.?
our shippers told us we can take all toiletries
Old Nov 6th 2006, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond reputeKeith&Lol has a reputation beyond repute

Am quite sad at the moment as I can't take the dried rose which I took off my dads coffin. But I can take the shitty bag my mum gave me. Lol x
Old Nov 6th 2006, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Keith&Lol
Am quite sad at the moment as I can't take the dried rose which I took off my dads coffin. But I can take the shitty bag my mum gave me. Lol x
Aw..that's such a shame...is there any way that someone could bring it over (hopefully without any damage) when they come and visit? Would be nice to have with you...
Old Nov 6th 2006, 7:50 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Aw..that's such a shame...is there any way that someone could bring it over (hopefully without any damage) when they come and visit? Would be nice to have with you...
Same story, if found-destroyed at the cost of the person carrying it. Then they would do a detailed search of everything. The x-ray machine would pick it up.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Have decided to give it to my brother as I didn't realise he never got one.
I would be gutted if it got destroyed so not takin a chance....Lol x