Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ok so what do you do differently now....

Ok so what do you do differently now....

Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:35 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ok so what do you do differently now....

That you didn't do back home? Good and bad points of the new life?
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:46 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ok so what do you do differently now....

Originally Posted by Rachie241
use the car more for short journeys - lack of pavements, hills & heat make it harder to walk places, especially now have a baby in addition to toddler (nature strips are hard work with a buggy) and no corner shops dotted around like in UK means trip to shopping centre/village if run out of milk/bread etc
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:49 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Drive to work in the daylight all year round.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute

Go out somewhere new and exciting EVERY weekend
Sit and watch parrots eating in my garden every day,
eat more cakes than is good for me !!
read more books cos the telly is crap!
Old Feb 4th 2007, 9:39 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Eat most of our meals (including brekkie) outside watching the kookaburrahs and lorakeets in the garden.
Visit a new place every weekend and do something different (treetop walk,bbq at the beach etc)
Only go to the pub when we are out in the city (that may all change soon though when our first pub is finally built in Springfield Lakes ).
Hardly ever watch TV cos it's crap (roll on the start of the footy (rugby league) season).

Loz x
Old Feb 4th 2007, 9:56 pm
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Spend more time together a weekends
I am now a stay at home Mum (love that)
We have got involved in our local community, hubby treasure of residents’ assoc
Spend more time out doors, have bikes and Kayak
Hoping to go camping more (just brought a tent and are off up to Jurien Bay for the long weekend with friends.)
Eat less processed food and more frest fruit, salad and veg
Drink more wine Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sam
Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:00 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
Hoping to go camping more (just brought a tent and are off up to Jurien Bay for the long weekend with friends.)

Sam
Sounds good to me
Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:09 pm
Account Closed

daisylilymum is an unknown quantity at this point

Sam
How lovely. You sound very happy. How long have you been there?
Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

swim more, eat inside cos of flies and heat and no shade, do less varied stuff with the kids ie. playdough, cake making, games, trips out (nowhere to go anyway) as the beach always calls...sleep poorly due to noisy holiday area and birds...drink more booze due to depression, got fatter due to booze and cakes cos of depression,ummmmm, looked at some nice views...stopped wearing makeup as it slides off or gets rinsed off by the sea, stopped doing my hair cos of sea swims daily, that's it really.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:58 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by seasprite
swim more, eat inside cos of flies and heat and no shade, do less varied stuff with the kids ie. playdough, cake making, games, trips out (nowhere to go anyway) as the beach always calls...sleep poorly due to noisy holiday area and birds...drink more booze due to depression, got fatter due to booze and cakes cos of depression,ummmmm, looked at some nice views...stopped wearing makeup as it slides off or gets rinsed off by the sea, stopped doing my hair cos of sea swims daily, that's it really.
Life in the UK for us was sat indoors night after night watching Sky because weather was either too crap to do anything or we had no cash. Now we kayak, swim, shop, go to the greyhounds, go to the trots, go for beach walks, and we appreciate each other more.
On the bad side, my make up melts in the heat, some days i feel like I am utterly p*ssed off with the heat (as we have no aircon), and I do get ticked off at the lack of choice in the supermarket.
Still would rather be here though.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:58 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Sam
ditto to most of that Sam.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cherry6
Life in the UK for us was sat indoors night after night watching Sky because weather was either too crap to do anything or we had no cash. Now we kayak, swim, shop, go to the greyhounds, go to the trots, go for beach walks, and we appreciate each other more.
On the bad side, my make up melts in the heat, some days i feel like I am utterly p*ssed off with the heat (as we have no aircon), and I do get ticked off at the lack of choice in the supermarket.
Still would rather be here though.

Hmm we got out alot more in the Uk..and eat outdoors all summer long except in rain! don't mind a drop of rain though, just dress accordingly...in fact jumping in muddy puddles is very much missed here! We got rid of sky as it was rubbish and costly.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 11:28 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

I do more things outdoor during the winter, and less things outdoors during the summer in the daytime.

I wear more insect repellent and suncream. I have to use more conditioner on my hair as its dryer, and more moisturiser on my skin which is also drier.

I eat more vegetables as they're cheaper than meat but less fruit because it doesn't seem to last very long and I only get to do a weekly shop.

I watch more TV because we're saving for a house, and houses cost more in Sydney.

We have less disposable charcoal bbq picnics because of fire bans, but more gas bbqs in our back yard.

I dry my clothes outside in the sun more.

I look at the sell-by dates and prices in supermarkets more closely, as I have been caught out on a number of occasions by items that have been wrongly priced and with out of date sell-by dates.

I use the aircon in my car all the time nearly in summer, I never had aircon in my car in England.

I use fans to cool the house down, not having aircon in the house, which I hardly ever needed to do in England except when there was a heatwave.

I have a much heavier duty electric blanket in Australia, as it gets really cold in winter at night with no central heating or decent heating.

I drink more wine and less vodka, as vodka is not so cheap here.

I eat less chocolate and cakes, as both these are more expensive now to buy, but drink more smoothies as these are yummy.

I eat more Thai, Malaysian and Vietnamese food, and OH eats more Japanese food.

I use chinese vegetables in my cooking, which I didn't in England.

I don't go shopping as much

I have to dust more (a bit of a constant battle)

After 2.5 years, I am starting to forget what I did do differently in England...
Old Feb 4th 2007, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by seasprite
Hmm we got out alot more in the Uk..and eat outdoors all summer long except in rain! don't mind a drop of rain though, just dress accordingly...in fact jumping in muddy puddles is very much missed here! We got rid of sky as it was rubbish and costly.
You lived in Devon though..most georgeous place to be...ahh the West Country.
We drink more here, in other peoples gardens. Have loads of BBQ's, sit on computer more, 2 cats more then what we had in UK, eat more, sweep up more ( that sand is annoying)..swim more..
Took a while but we even eat a decent curry out here
Old Feb 5th 2007, 12:17 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daisylilymum
How lovely. You sound very happy. How long have you been there?
We have been in Perth 15 months and couldnt be happier. We have had our ups and downs but have no regets.

Sam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.