Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OK... So what is the Construction Industry situation like in Victoria now?

OK... So what is the Construction Industry situation like in Victoria now?

Old Sep 15th 2010, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OK... So what is the Construction Industry situation like in Victoria now?

My husband is a joiner.
Visa granted Dec 08.
We are still here in UK and can not decide what to do next.
His current contract runs out here in January and then nothing lined up so he would just like to get the house sold now and get heading to Melbourne early next year.

So, what are his job prospects in Melbourne/Victoria in general at the moment? He currently project manages a multi million pound site in the UK and will be getting written references to take with us. He is going to ship his tools as he has been told it is highly unlikely that you can land in Oz and get into a management/foreman role in Construction unless you show your worth first.

Please can anyone in the industry (or with any advice in this area) get back to me? I am so confused as I would rather wait it out a bit to see what it going to happen but with UK unemployment figures projected to rise vastly in the coming months, he wants us to go now.

Thanks in advance for honesty and advice.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 11:05 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OK... So what is the Construction Industry situation like in Victoria now?

I reckon it's still good. All the trades I employ regularly are very busy, not sure about carpenters as I'm not employing any right now.

Concreters are booked 5 weeks out right now, for instance.

BB
Old Sep 15th 2010, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of
Default Re: OK... So what is the Construction Industry situation like in Victoria now?

Flat out on the plastering front!
Big million dollar bayside houses and also loads of units on burbs!!

Loving it
Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

abranch is an unknown quantity at this point

We are waiting on SMP lists for Solid Plasterer if they ever come!!! My husband main trade is plastering but doe all general building/renovations what is the wages like in Melbourne? Do you also have to be licenced there as well to work for your self?
Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

smvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nicesmvh is just really nice

my oh half is a bricklayer for 15 yrs,completed his aqf cert last year,that was as far as we got,were looking for sponsorship now as he hasnt worked for 12 out of the last 24 mths,anyone sponsoring brickies??
Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

we in queensland and its busy. Everyone has been saying this week that its gone crazy last couple of weeks
Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by odyssey
we in queensland and its busy. Everyone has been saying this week that its gone crazy last couple of weeks
That's because everyone has their tax rebate to spend
Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace is an unknown quantity at this point

Great thanks. Sounds encouraging.

Hubby is on State Sponsored visa so have to start out in Victoria so are aiming to move somewhere semi affordable in Melbourne. Just trying to make sure we aren't jumping from frying pan into the fire as the construction work here is STILL drying up. Jobs falling through, companies still downsizing. People I know outside of Construction here in the UK keep saying "Oh, it's picking up" but it is definitely not. The situation here is dire and we have spent the last 2 years scraping for work on both our parts and have a little one to support so this country just isn't recovering fast enough for us so we can't afford to hang about only for things to get worse here.

Again, we don't want to leave UK when our finances are the worst they have been, exchange rate sucks and everything else but the other option is to stay here, not get any more work, have the house repossesed and have to find our feet again in the UK. Might as well head to Oz then before it's too late????
Old Sep 15th 2010, 8:22 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: OK... So what is the Construction Industry situation like in Victoria now?

Originally Posted by abranch
We are waiting on SMP lists for Solid Plasterer if they ever come!!!
Plastering is different here - plasterers fill the gaps between the sheets that the hangers (another trade) hang and they do cornicing etc. Hardly any solid plastering here.

My husband main trade is plastering but doe all general building/renovations what is the wages like in Melbourne?
About $30 per hour as an employee - not sure as a contractor.

Do you also have to be licenced there as well to work for your self?
No, not as a plasterer.

BB
Old Sep 15th 2010, 11:12 pm
Permanent Resident

Laights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of light

Yes agree with what everyone has said, the building industry is still booming here, I live down on the Bellarine Peninsula, about an hour south of Melbourne and the rate of new homes going up is unbelievable, certainly doesn't seem any shortage of work.