Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OK now ... lets hear about snakes !

OK now ... lets hear about snakes !

Old Jan 20th 2004, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Servant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant futureServant24kids has a brilliant future
Default OK now ... lets hear about snakes !

Hi,

I've read all about the spiders ... huntermans, red-back, funnel-web, white-backed, mouse-eaters, wolf-back or whatever and so on from some thread off a thread below.

We are suitably shaken and wonder how Ozzies cope with the stress of these little darlings. Nice to know that no one has died from a spider bite since 1979 (presumably up-to-date).

Haven't heard much about the snakes yet. Don't mind them myself but hubby went out during my daughter's reptile-theme birthday party. Will they be a bother???

Glenda
Old Jan 20th 2004, 7:39 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh God Glenda.....you've really gone and done it now!!!

Enter the prophets of Doom............
Old Jan 20th 2004, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

gwrees is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by TraceyW
Oh God Glenda.....you've really gone and done it now!!!

Enter the prophets of Doom............
I drove over a Dugaite (not sure about the spelling) on the freeway whilst in Perth last year! It was like going over a speed bump!!! :scared:
Old Jan 20th 2004, 7:49 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Place is swarming with them! I've been back here 18 months, and I saw one on a backroad in the Blue Mountains, about a month ago. Unfortunately, it was dead..... Some bloody tourist had run it over!

(It was a red-bellied black snake, BTW, about a metre or so long. They're non-agressive scardy-cats. Run a mile if they spot a human.)
Old Jan 20th 2004, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OK now ... lets hear about snakes !

Originally posted by Servant24kids
Hi,

I've read all about the spiders ... huntermans, red-back, funnel-web, white-backed, mouse-eaters, wolf-back or whatever and so on from some thread off a thread below.

We are suitably shaken and wonder how Ozzies cope with the stress of these little darlings. Nice to know that no one has died from a spider bite since 1979 (presumably up-to-date).

Haven't heard much about the snakes yet. Don't mind them myself but hubby went out during my daughter's reptile-theme birthday party. Will they be a bother???

Glenda
well, there was a woman died from a snake bite in Melbourne last summer. She was gardening at the time. She lived in our suburb, about 10kms from CBD)

I should add that she was about 89 so her age probably didn't help her cause!!

I never saw any in the city myself, only in the bush. My sis gets loads - she went out of her front door once and there was one on the door mat; another time there was one in the chook house. My brother in law trod a brown snake in his vines 3 weeks ago. It lashed out at him but fortuntaley he had trod on it far enough up its body that it's head couldn't reach to bite him.

Anyway, it's the scorpions you want to watch out for......
Old Jan 20th 2004, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by downunderpom
Place is swarming with them! I've been back here 18 months, and I saw one on a backroad in the Blue Mountains, about a month ago. Unfortunately, it was dead..... Some bloody tourist had run it over!

(

Wasn't me!
Old Jan 20th 2004, 7:54 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by gwrees
Wasn't me!
I would have expected a comment like that from 'Not Me'!
Old Jan 20th 2004, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
well, there was a woman died from a snake bite in Melbourne last summer. She was gardening at the time. She lived in our suburb, about 10kms from CBD)

I should add that she was about 89 so her age probably didn't help her cause!!

I never saw any in the city myself, only in the bush. My sis gets loads - she went out of her front door once and there was one on the door mat; another time there was one in the chook house. My brother in law trod a brown snake in his vines 3 weeks ago. It lashed out at him but fortuntaley he had trod on it far enough up its body that it's head couldn't reach to bite him.

Anyway, it's the scorpions you want to watch out for......

Are there Scorpions in WA? Anything else we should know about!
Old Jan 20th 2004, 7:57 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in WA for 9 years. (in a Hills suburb of Perth, the northwest (desert) and southwest)
I think I saw about 5 snakes in that time. Once when bushwalking, a tiger snake, but it slithered away quickly, one up north, one down south....Oh, one IN my high school once! In the hallway, lol! Not dangerous though.

Anyway.......anyone in Oz will tell you: you should be aware, they are usually dangerous etc, but you will soon stop worrying about them when you hardly even see one!

There are 20 million people in Oz......

Just don't try and attack one, or go bushwalking with thongs on!
Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:00 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

yes, never seen one though.

Other things to know about:
Flys!!!!!!!!!!
Mozzies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sandflies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Big biting ants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cockroaches!!!!!!!!!!

Things that are much more worrying than snakes and spiders. Cos you'll have much more encounters!!
And yes, I'm serious!
Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Simone82
I lived in WA for 9 years. (in a Hills suburb of Perth, the northwest (desert) and southwest)
I think I saw about 5 snakes in that time. Once when bushwalking, a tiger snake, but it slithered away quickly, one up north, one down south....Oh, one IN my high school once! In the hallway, lol! Not dangerous though.

Anyway.......anyone in Oz will tell you: you should be aware, they are usually dangerous etc, but you will soon stop worrying about them when you hardly even see one!

There are 20 million people in Oz......

Just don't try and attack one, or go bushwalking with thongs on!
Got me worried then, forgot that thongs are flip flops over in Oz! I remember a fella over there telling me that if he ever see's a redback, he whacks it with his thong, my imagination almost changed my mind about moving over!
Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:04 pm
Account Closed

hell yes!...there's the magpies, the cockroaches, the sharks (albeit dead ones according to Jirrupin!) Cane Toads (nasty buggers) crocs, fruit bats, ticks (really yuck) wild dogs, disease ridden mozzies..... enough to be going on with ?!!!!

:scared: :scared:

I bought a book about all the beasties over there....little buggers may get me but at least I'll know which one it was!!!!
Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:09 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by TraceyW
hell yes!...there's the magpies, the cockroaches, the sharks (albeit dead ones according to Jirrupin!) Cane Toads (nasty buggers) crocs, fruit bats, ticks (really yuck) wild dogs, disease ridden mozzies..... enough to be going on with ?!!!!

:scared: :scared:

I bought a book about all the beasties over there....little buggers may get me but at least I'll know which one it was!!!!
Ah, yes! But not all in Perth!
And Cane Toads I believe, have only made it to NT so far (I hope and pray!)
And crocs is only northwest WA.
Not sure about the wild dogs either, maybe in Outback WA (dingo's?)
There's also wild goats and pigs, at least as far down as Kalbarri.
And rabbits, and camels.

I'm still being serious btw, just so you don't think I'm joking

Oh, and watch out for Bunjips!! (look up that one! )
Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Ah, yes! But not all in Perth!
And Cane Toads I believe, have only made it to NT so far (I hope and pray!)
And crocs is only northwest WA.
Not sure about the wild dogs either, maybe in Outback WA (dingo's?)
And rabbits, and camels.

I'm still being serious btw, just so you don't think I'm joking

Jeeves reckons they're Koalas, is that right? I know theres none of them in Perth though, except for the odd park and zoo!
Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:22 pm
Account Closed

And rabbits, and camels.

I s'pose the goats and pigs would get a bit aggressive if they were on the menu!! As for rabbits...are these little cuties maneaters? As for the camels...spiteful little buggers..nasty spitty creatures!!

I can't find this blighter...what is it so I can add it to the 'What Not To Tread On Or Piss Off' list!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.