Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OK, Now I'm ****** off!!

OK, Now I'm ****** off!!

Old Aug 12th 2005, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all
Default OK, Now I'm ****** off!!

Sorry to start yet another thread about house selling, but I am spitting nails right now and I find writing on here quite therapeutic.

We have been with our agents for 16 weeks now and in that time have had 33 viewings and NO (not one single) offers. Then, last week a couple came around to view the house. They liked our house and another one that is smaller but in a similar price bracket to ours and want to view ours and this other house tomorrow. The 'other' house has only been on the market a couple of weeks. So, I contact the agent and asked what they feel the chances are that these people are going to put in an offer. They would not commit, which is understandable, so I urged them to reiterate the good points of our property - not overlooked at all, a fairly big house, we are not in a chain, etc. etc. The agent then got a bit shirty exclaiming that he cannot make them decide which house to buy. Of course, he is also marketing the 'other' house, so either way he wins, why should he push ours more than the other.

Then, today, we have another viewing at 1pm and the guy wants to bring his wife around at 4pm to have another look. "Oh, he must have liked our house", I say. To which the agent replies that he thought our house would have been last on the list as the viewer thought that the house was too dark. I am already on a stressed-out short fuse, and want to scream at him -"Have you seen the goddam weather outside - it is overcast and threatening to rain - it is even dark outside you moron!!". Of course, I don't say this, I just say 'oh'. Why didn't he point this out, why didn't he say that he has been in the house at least 20 of the last 33 times and not once has anyone said it's dark, in fact it is quite airy, but no, he doesn't say a peep and then is surprised when the viewer actually seems to realise that this may be the reason for the house being dark and ours is the only one he wants to bring his wife back to see. The agent in fact tried to say that the house was dark because partly due to the aspect and partly to there being netcurtains (oh forgive me for not wanting the world to see me when i'm naked!!). It really sounded like he was disappointed they wanted to see our house above all the others.

I am so mad and they are arriving in 20 minutes and I feel like saying the viewers can come in, but you pimple-boy, you can wait outside and never 'darken' my door again!!

It is almost as if he is making us out to be unreasonable vendors. We have been more than reasonable. We have never once said no to a viewing, we have decluttered so much that my 7-year old thinks there is some phantom toy-thief that keeps nicking his stuff, we have dropped the price of the property by £20k to accommodate for the fact that you can see next door's sheds (don't ask!) and that our garden is a bit on the small size. What more do they want! Please someone tell me where we are going wrong.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Four X will become famous soon enoughFour X will become famous soon enough
Default Re: OK, Now I'm P***ed off!!

Where are you going wrong?

Start by changing estate agents as soon as your contract is up to someone who can be enthusiastic about your house and the selling of it.

He sounds like a complete cretin.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

marie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud ofmarie197500 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
Sorry to start yet another thread about house selling, but I am spitting nails right now and I find writing on here quite therapeutic.

We have been with our agents for 16 weeks now and in that time have had 33 viewings and NO (not one single) offers. Then, last week a couple came around to view the house. They liked our house and another one that is smaller but in a similar price bracket to ours and want to view ours and this other house tomorrow. The 'other' house has only been on the market a couple of weeks. So, I contact the agent and asked what they feel the chances are that these people are going to put in an offer. They would not commit, which is understandable, so I urged them to reiterate the good points of our property - not overlooked at all, a fairly big house, we are not in a chain, etc. etc. The agent then got a bit shirty exclaiming that he cannot make them decide which house to buy. Of course, he is also marketing the 'other' house, so either way he wins, why should he push ours more than the other.

Then, today, we have another viewing at 1pm and the guy wants to bring his wife around at 4pm to have another look. "Oh, he must have liked our house", I say. To which the agent replies that he thought our house would have been last on the list as the viewer thought that the house was too dark. I am already on a stressed-out short fuse, and want to scream at him -"Have you seen the goddam weather outside - it is overcast and threatening to rain - it is even dark outside you moron!!". Of course, I don't say this, I just say 'oh'. Why didn't he point this out, why didn't he say that he has been in the house at least 20 of the last 33 times and not once has anyone said it's dark, in fact it is quite airy, but no, he doesn't say a peep and then is surprised when the viewer actually seems to realise that this may be the reason for the house being dark and ours is the only one he wants to bring his wife back to see. The agent in fact tried to say that the house was dark because partly due to the aspect and partly to there being netcurtains (oh forgive me for not wanting the world to see me when i'm naked!!). It really sounded like he was disappointed they wanted to see our house above all the others.

I am so mad and they are arriving in 20 minutes and I feel like saying the viewers can come in, but you pimple-boy, you can wait outside and never 'darken' my door again!!

It is almost as if he is making us out to be unreasonable vendors. We have been more than reasonable. We have never once said no to a viewing, we have decluttered so much that my 7-year old thinks there is some phantom toy-thief that keeps nicking his stuff, we have dropped the price of the property by £20k to accommodate for the fact that you can see next door's sheds (don't ask!) and that our garden is a bit on the small size. What more do they want! Please someone tell me where we are going wrong.
Hi sorry to hear of your problems hope we dont have the same when it comes to our time to sell, but I would definately show the couple around yourself rather than the estate agent. Just calmly pull him to one side and explain then show them round yourself. By the sounds of things you will have more chance to sell if you do it than him.

Anyway good luck fingers crossed.

marie xx
Old Aug 12th 2005, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by marie197500
Hi sorry to hear of your problems hope we dont have the same when it comes to our time to sell, but I would definately show the couple around yourself rather than the estate agent. Just calmly pull him to one side and explain then show them round yourself. By the sounds of things you will have more chance to sell if you do it than him.

Anyway good luck fingers crossed.

marie xx
Yeah, you might be right there. We have always made a point of not being there as we felt it might make the viewers uncomfortable, plus we have had a couple of mishaps, but we are staying in for this one.

Do you think I should put the lights on to counteract the darkness and just mention that the weather outside is making the house look dark.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Your agent sounds a bit of a prat though I have to say. I wonder aboiut that ie, what do they say to viewers etc. have shown a couple of them round myself but mostly been done by the agent. At least you are getting the viewers through the door which is more than I can say.

Have you considered changing agent? I think that is going to be my next move, have tried just about everything else. I have been on the market since Februaray and have only had about 8 viewings which is a bit naff. Even though they reckon they have sent out a ridiculous amount of details.
I mentioned to them about going dual agency but they wont do that apparently. If I put it up with someone else then I have to come off their books which is starting to look very appealing.

Good luck this afternoon and keep us posted.

Tracey
Old Aug 12th 2005, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Hi

Im a mortgage advisor and the market does seem to be a little slow at the moment.

We sold ours quite quick but we literally ditched all clutter and personal items and painted the whole house magnolia. I would maybe take the nets down just temporarily as lots of people dont like them.

Just hang in there i guess, i hated it.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lawlaw
Hi

Im a mortgage advisor and the market does seem to be a little slow at the moment.

We sold ours quite quick but we literally ditched all clutter and personal items and painted the whole house magnolia. I would maybe take the nets down just temporarily as lots of people dont like them.

That's what I'm in the process of doing, although I sometimes wish I hadn't started because it's driving me mad. But it's all in a good cause I suppose.

Tracey
Old Aug 12th 2005, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lawlaw
Hi

I tried taking down the nets, and I promise you it doesn't make that much difference and they are voile nets so add a softness to the room. I guess the fact they are coming back for a second look on the same day means something, but I want to shoot that bloody agent.

We said that come next tuesday, when our sole agency ends, we are going to mult-agent. Our agent had the attitude of 'fine, but our commission goes up from 1.5 to 2% if you do that'. Does that sound like a threat to you - yeah just try it and see what happens.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Aus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really nice

Sounds like you are doing everything you can!!!

When you visit showhomes they always have all the lights on!!!

I would go for showing the folks round yourself, you can point out all the good stuff!!! AND your estate agent sounds like an eejit!!!!!!

Good luck!!!
Old Aug 12th 2005, 3:02 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

I hope the second viewing goes well - he may like "dark " and his wife too

This house selling lark is dreadful especially as we all want desperately to be some where else.

Let us know how it goes !

Gillian
Old Aug 12th 2005, 3:08 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

you pimple-boy, you can wait outside and never 'darken' my door again!!
Okay, I know you probably didn't intend the posting to be humourous but I just loved 'pimple-boy' quote - it's up there with PP's classic 'knob-jockey' quote!

On a serious note, I think you need to have a fairly blunt coversation with your estate agents (preferably with Pimple-boys boss) about your concerns. They MUST be positive about your property, even if they personally don't like it - their personal preference and views should not come into it. Otherwise, as another poster said, dump them el-quicko and find an agent who is positive about your property.

Nicky
Old Aug 12th 2005, 3:09 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

I tried taking down the nets, and I promise you it doesn't make that much difference and they are voile nets so add a softness to the room. I guess the fact they are coming back for a second look on the same day means something, but I want to shoot that bloody agent.

We said that come next tuesday, when our sole agency ends, we are going to mult-agent. Our agent had the attitude of 'fine, but our commission goes up from 1.5 to 2% if you do that'. Does that sound like a threat to you - yeah just try it and see what happens.
I think youll find in the contract it will state 2% for dual agency so you cant get out of it...
I actually think its allot better to show people round yourself you know...You will know allot more about the property and be in a much better position to answer any questions they have...I also found the agents "forget" to tell them allot of important plus factors about your house. The people that are buying my house asked me loads of things that the agent just wouldnt of had the answer to...

Go for it...
Old Aug 12th 2005, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Your agents sound shocking, ditch them as soon as you can and get new ones no agent should be talking to you like that. Fingers crossed the people coming today put an offer in and you can be done with the BAS*ARDS!!!
Old Aug 12th 2005, 3:22 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Four X
Where are you going wrong?

Start by changing estate agents as soon as your contract is up to someone who can be enthusiastic about your house and the selling of it.

He sounds like a complete cretin.
Agreed!
Old Aug 12th 2005, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

Sometimes i wonder if these teenage to55ers (estate agents) remember who is actually paying them, clue its not the buyer. Agents here in devon are charging 2.5% at the moment. We had 12 viewings and so far i have done 10 of them including the people that have put in an offer. So all in all expensive advertising with a bunch of suited morons. I actually hate estate agents more than traffic wardens now . Rant over time for

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.