OK here we go!!

Old Nov 29th 2003, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

Smally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OK here we go!!

I am a fully qualified mechanic with 11 years experience in the trade up until 1995 trained in REME by the good old British Army. Left the Army in 1995 and became a police Officer. My wife and me and our two year old boy seriously want to live in NZ.
The research I have done so far leads me to understand that the best way of getting to NZ is to get a job offer. Unfortunately I guess that no-one out there wants to employ a mechanic who has been out of the trade for the last eight years, although I was a pretty good mechanic....even if I do say so myself.
I've written to the NZ Police but got a letter back saying that they were recruiting British Police Oficers but not now.
So....the reason for the post is
1. Anyone out there got any advice they could give me
2. Anyone out there want to employ me!!
Old Nov 29th 2003, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

No advice I am afraid but just to say hang on in there, if you want it bad enough you can make it happen.
Good luck
Old Nov 30th 2003, 4:59 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Smally - NZ is gagging for mechanics - have you tried to find a job or are you ust assuming that they won't want you because it was a few years ago?

If the latter, I would suspect they wouldn't care, they need mechanics so badly ( all the cars out there are ancient anyway so you would be just the sort of chap they need!)
Old Nov 30th 2003, 5:09 pm
Badge

mate.

Your REME quals will probably see you past a NZ trade assessment - plus references from you old OC, yadda yadda. Once you are in, you can probably turn you hand to anything..

En zid migration laws have been recently overhauled, or at least some programmes - so look carefully in to it..

Badge

Welcome on board. There are a few old boys on here. "Welsh Billy Boy" was in the RE - REME, if he doesn't mind me saying so.

Old Nov 30th 2003, 6:18 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

With the new policies coming in in mid Dec you will prob be ok with your qualifications, have you had a look at the NZIS website there is a pamphlet that has the new point scoring system in the last section. and if you have a job offer aswell all the better
Good Luck and Welcome to this forum
Old Nov 30th 2003, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Smally is an unknown quantity at this point

Christ....Dunno why but I had it in the back of my mind that no-one would reply to this post. Just goes to show how wrong I was.
Anyway, thanx for the info everyone and if anyone else out there could help please please please let me know.

Smally
Old Nov 30th 2003, 7:37 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OK here we go!!

Originally posted by Smally
I am a fully qualified mechanic with 11 years experience in the trade up until 1995 trained in REME by the good old British Army. Left the Army in 1995 and became a police Officer. My wife and me and our two year old boy seriously want to live in NZ.
The research I have done so far leads me to understand that the best way of getting to NZ is to get a job offer. Unfortunately I guess that no-one out there wants to employ a mechanic who has been out of the trade for the last eight years, although I was a pretty good mechanic....even if I do say so myself.
I've written to the NZ Police but got a letter back saying that they were recruiting British Police Oficers but not now.
So....the reason for the post is
1. Anyone out there got any advice they could give me
2. Anyone out there want to employ me!!

Try this site to, NZ dedicated, lots of help to be found there.

http://www.*****.co.uk/chat/phpbb/index.php

Paula