Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ok fess up who dropped the ball on the 0444 444 444 emergency alerts?

Ok fess up who dropped the ball on the 0444 444 444 emergency alerts?

Old Oct 5th 2021, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Brisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ok fess up who dropped the ball on the 0444 444 444 emergency alerts?

I didn't get the covid-19 emergency alert text from the Queensland Government, and neither did heaps of other people. What went wrong?
It appeared many people were yet to receive the text message on Tuesday afternoon, with several commenting under a tweet from Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk to say they had missed out.

“None of the 4 mobiles in our house received this. And seems from the other comments below plenty of others didn’t get it. Given this is supposed to be used for emergency disaster messaging looks like some urgent issues need addressing,” one user tweeted.
I know there was some internal 'resistance' to issuing the alert because of confused messaging around spam and scam texts, and fears that people may block the number. But, did the disaster management people pull it, did QLD Health stop it, or was it just an epic fail?

I guess it could be that the geo-targeting was way off, but still... not a good look.
Old Oct 5th 2021, 11:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ok fess up who dropped the ball on the 0444 444 444 emergency alerts?

Originally Posted by Brisbannite
I didn't get the covid-19 emergency alert text from the Queensland Government, and neither did heaps of other people. What went wrong?

I know there was some internal 'resistance' to issuing the alert because of confused messaging around spam and scam texts, and fears that people may block the number. But, did the disaster management people pull it, did QLD Health stop it, or was it just an epic fail?

I guess it could be that the geo-targeting was way off, but still... not a good look.
The Emergency Alerts are going to the whole of Queensland. Thats around 7 million messages that we have to issue through a system designed for use in natural disasters.
So firstly the system was not created to deal with campaigns of this size. Even with all,the Telcos on board and ready for the deluge of messages there was never any way that we could hit the whole of Queensland at once, and that was made very clear to QHealth, who requested the campaign.
When they did their briefings they should have said very clearly that the messaging would COMMENCE at midday on Tuesday, as indeed it did, with alerts sent to Bulloo and Burdekin, and would gradually be extended across the State. Priority areas were those with very low vax take up rates. The team working today did send a couple of the Brisbane campaigns, but in order to achieve maximum results one needs to intersperse the urban areas with the less populated ones.
We anticipate some of the other Brisbane and SEQ areas getting alerts tomorrow, and the campaigns will probably run for a few days yet. Bear in mind that we will not send messages outside of business hours too - there may still be a few in the system getting delivered at odd times, but we do try and schedule messages so that they arrive at an "acceptable" time of day.

Any more queries on howw the system operates, please ask and I will tell you what I can.
For complaints, please contact QHealth. We are just the operators, doing a job.
Old Oct 10th 2021, 3:53 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ok fess up who dropped the ball on the 0444 444 444 emergency alerts?

I have not seen a single scammer try and take advantage of this, very disappointing
Old Oct 11th 2021, 1:03 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
I have not seen a single scammer try and take advantage of this, very disappointing
Unfortunately though a lot of people are viewing it as spam or a scam and blocking the number
Old Oct 11th 2021, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Brisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Unfortunately though a lot of people are viewing it as spam or a scam and blocking the number
If you don't mind me asking
1. How many is 'a lot'?
2. How do you know they're blocking the number?

Thanks.

Old Oct 11th 2021, 10:22 pm
Home and Happy

If you don't mind me asking
1. How many is 'a lot'?
2. How do you know they're blocking the number?

Thanks.
QHealth complaints and other contact areas, Telstra complaints, Optus complaints, Vodaphone complaints departments.
Social media monitoring, personal observations by staff.
Thats for starters.

If you want figures put in an RTI to QHealth/
Old Oct 12th 2021, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

I suppose I could do but I don't think the data is there to support the assertion that "a lot" of people have blocked the number. Sounds like its mostly anecdotal.
Old Oct 13th 2021, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

"discussions", "possible future"... all sounds very theoretical. The impressions that I get is that two government departments are just bickering with each other, each resenting the intransigence of the other. Turf wars. Anyway, thanks for doing your bit.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

No, by two government departments I meant the department you work for and Queensland Health.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

No, by two government departments I meant the department you work for and Queensland Health.
You aren't being clear. Please do try harder.