Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ok, cannot swim....but stingers!

Ok, cannot swim....but stingers!

Old Oct 11th 2005, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

ChadW will become famous soon enough
Question Ok, cannot swim....but stingers!

Hi,

Newbie time again folks, but just wait till I have been there though so please be patient with me!

Anyhow, how real are Stinger threats in Cairns or Palm Cove, is it a case of not going near the water or can you at least paddle?

Guess I could see what everyone else is doing but would really like to find a nice 'quiet' beach for a more authentic tropical scene!

Cheers
Old Oct 11th 2005, 10:46 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ok, cannot swim....but stingers!

Originally Posted by ChadW
Hi,

Anyhow, how real are Stinger threats in Cairns or Palm Cove, is it a case of not going near the water or can you at least paddle?

Cheers

no you car`nt mate
most areas provide a netted off section during the stinger season ( high summer ) outside of that you can buy stinger suits ( we hired some lovley blue licra ones looked like a bloody ballet dancer )

this should be taken serious as the box jelly fish can kill

regards steve
Old Oct 11th 2005, 10:52 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
no you car`nt mate
most areas provide a netted off section during the stinger season ( high summer ) outside of that you can buy stinger suits ( we hired some lovley blue licra ones looked like a bloody ballet dancer )

this should be taken serious as the box jelly fish can kill

regards steve

info from web

Box jellyfish, Boxfish, Deadly sea wasp
Chironex fleckeri
Box jellyfish is considered the most venomous marine creature. It can kill more people than stonefish, sharks and crocodiles combined.

Chironex may be found in shallow water at the edge of beaches in Northern Australian and Indo-Pacific region. Adult jellyfish spawn at river mouths in late summer. The fertilized eggs attach themselves to rocks in the form of tiny polyps. In spring, these polyps develop into small jellyfish that migrate downstream, especially with rains. They feed on shrimps and often frequent beaches that are attractive to humans. These animals have chosen a strategy of passive hunting- they simply wait for the prey to bump into their tentacles. Since a struggling shrimp can tear a young jellyfish, it needs to be killed instantly with a very strong poison.

have fun paddling

Symptoms and first aid
The venom of box jellyfish has cardiotoxic, neurotoxic and highly dermatonecrotic components. When injected, it is rapidly absorbed into the circulation. The pain is excruciating; the tentacles become sticky and adhere tightly to the skin. Any attempt at removal of the tentacles while they are still active may worsen the sting and lead to great injuries. Severe stings result in necrosis of the affected skin area. If treatment is not given, the pain may last for weeks and often stings leave significant scars.

Domestic vinegar (never methylated spirits) should be poured over the adhering tentacles to inactivate nematocysts as quickly as possible. When the tentacles become inactive, they can be safely removed. (The application of vinegar is not intended to decrease pain or diminish the effects of the venom; it will only stop further discharging of nematocysts). In case of respiratory or
cardiovascular failure, basic life support such as artificial respiration and cardiac massage is necessary. Where antivenom is not available, pressure-immobilization of the limbs may be used after inactivation of nematocysts while the patient is transported to hospital.

Indications for antivenom include cardiorespiratory arrest or arrythmias, difficulty with breading, speech or swallowing and extensive skin lesions. Assisted ventilation and analgesics may be needed. Early administration of antivenom will reduce pain
and decrease scarring. Local pain is usually best treated with ice packs.

Last edited by steve`o; Oct 11th 2005 at 10:55 am.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Yey, no paddling in the sea for me then!

First time I felt good about no being able to swim too!

Cheers
Old Oct 11th 2005, 12:42 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Box jelly fish can stop your heart in 45 seconds :scared:
Which is nice !
Old Oct 11th 2005, 3:49 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Box jelly fish can stop your heart in 45 seconds :scared:
Which is nice !

rrrrr
much deadlier
an exwife can empty an account in 10 seconds
Old Oct 11th 2005, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steve`o
rrrrr
much deadlier
an exwife can empty an account in 10 seconds

LOL! What a post! Now I also feel good about never being married too!
Old Oct 11th 2005, 7:16 pm
Mad Nurse now in NSW

eljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of lighteljustino is a glorious beacon of light

bloo*y hell, yet more things that do you some harm, snakes, spiders, crocs, now jelly fish, didnt give them thought, well that rules out cairns and brisbane. Werever i go looks like I need insect repellant, vinegar and need to be close to a hospital

J
Old Oct 11th 2005, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by eljustino
bloo*y hell, yet more things that do you some harm, snakes, spiders, crocs, now jelly fish, didnt give them thought, well that rules out cairns and brisbane. Werever i go looks like I need insect repellant, vinegar and need to be close to a hospital

J
I know it's a bit warm in Brisvegas at the moment but I wasnt aware global warming had allowed the crocs and box jelly fish to move so far south so quickly! :scared:

I had better go and carefully check the pool just in case......

WW
Old Oct 12th 2005, 12:29 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

my girlfriend got stung a few years back just off the waters edge near cairns. she was airlifted to cairns base hospital, and pumped full of morphine, threw up all over her father, and said the pain was unimaginable.

she was in an area where it is normally safe to swim even during stinger season.