Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OH wants a career change eg.carpetfitter

OH wants a career change eg.carpetfitter

Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

kjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant future
Question OH wants a career change eg.carpetfitter

hi,
i appolgise if this has been asked before i just cant seem to find what im looking for when searching BE with anyone using the 'key' words are already in a trade.
the situation is -
What i was wondering is when we get our visa and head to Adelaide my OH doesnt want to go and sit in an office for the rest of his working life and wants (for a while now) a 'trade' job and is drawn to either plastering or carpet fitting as possibilities.
we have searched the tafe courses and have found a short course for plastering = fine but its mon - wednesday and all day saturday which would cause problems as i am a haidresser and that leaves no childcare.

are there any ways of him getting a working appreniceship or such so he learns on the job with him being 29 or is that not done?
Any carpet fitters out there who can give him a trial??

thankyou for reading and hope you can shed some light so he can do something he may enjoy.

thanks
kathx
Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:15 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OH wants a career change eg.carpetfitter

hey cath if u find any give me a shout maybe they can sponsor my bro ..thats what my bro does but due to closure of pathway d cant get over there. there is no formal training so he is stuffed and no formal training in oz either lol funnily enough...dont think they thought that one out really!!!

Good luck hun xx

ps sold house he he bring on visa ..well subject to contract!!
Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:20 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Tell him to get some experience NOW. in the UK !!!

Then email a couple of the big guys in flooring here, like Solomons , Carpet CHoice etc.

They are ALWAYS after carpet fitters.

Regarding plastering, the majority of stuff here is, sheet work. So the trick would be to get in with a small team of spreads, and do some part time work, and then work his way up.

Regarding TAFE, im not aware of any evening only courses, but perhaps the best way to approach this, is EMAIL TAFE direct. All aussie companies, tafes etc usually email back immediately, and they will be best placed to answers questions, hypothetical or otherwise.

Good Luck
Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kjc79
hi,
i appolgise if this has been asked before i just cant seem to find what im looking for when searching BE with anyone using the 'key' words are already in a trade.
the situation is -
What i was wondering is when we get our visa and head to Adelaide my OH doesnt want to go and sit in an office for the rest of his working life and wants (for a while now) a 'trade' job and is drawn to either plastering or carpet fitting as possibilities.
we have searched the tafe courses and have found a short course for plastering = fine but its mon - wednesday and all day saturday which would cause problems as i am a haidresser and that leaves no childcare.

are there any ways of him getting a working appreniceship or such so he learns on the job with him being 29 or is that not done?

thankyou for reading and hope you can shed some light so he can do something he may enjoy.

thanks
kathx
Have been told apprenticeships are available to all ages, getting one might be a problem but isn't impossible.
Personally want to go the same route, work with kids with challenging behaviors 40+ hours a week, lots of evenings and weekend work, not wanting to do the same in Aus. Would love to work as a carpet fitter, knowing what's in store when you go to work. Will ditto the just want a chance to show what I can do (any offers ) Will have hit the big 40 by the time we get to Aus so hoping I can change careers as can't see me wanting to do what I do now for the next 20 to 30 years
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

kjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant future
Smile Re: OH wants a career change eg.carpetfitter

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Tell him to get some experience NOW. in the UK !!!

Then email a couple of the big guys in flooring here, like Solomons , Carpet CHoice etc.

They are ALWAYS after carpet fitters.

Regarding plastering, the majority of stuff here is, sheet work. So the trick would be to get in with a small team of spreads, and do some part time work, and then work his way up.

Regarding TAFE, im not aware of any evening only courses, but perhaps the best way to approach this, is EMAIL TAFE direct. All aussie companies, tafes etc usually email back immediately, and they will be best placed to answers questions, hypothetical or otherwise.

Good Luck
thanks for your reply timber floor au. the idea of getting experience in either career is good but the reality financially and time wise is near impossible unfortunately as not got any/many contacts that would be able to offer the chancewith him working full time and i'm mobile as well as 3 days, 2 of which managing, a salon now too.
He did a brick laying course which he utilised to build a 3 corner wall around the drive area of our old house that we have now sold with our hopeful visa coming but that was in his own time once he had done a full day at work not really the 300 (or how ever many) a day speed.
Will get the OH to email tafe to answer any questions or possible routes he could possibly take.

thanks
kath x
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ozzieclare2b
hey cath if u find any give me a shout maybe they can sponsor my bro ..thats what my bro does but due to closure of pathway d cant get over there. there is no formal training so he is stuffed and no formal training in oz either lol funnily enough...dont think they thought that one out really!!!

Good luck hun xx

ps sold house he he bring on visa ..well subject to contract!!
Thats fantastic news.will kepp my fingers crossed that its a quick exchange then you not paying two lots of bills.:curse:if i get any relevant information with this then will let you know.just thought, your brother doesnt need a rookie for a sunday or few to show G how its done does he ?
Speak to you soon
Kath x

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Have been told apprenticeships are available to all ages, getting one might be a problem but isn't impossible.
Personally want to go the same route, work with kids with challenging behaviors 40+ hours a week, lots of evenings and weekend work, not wanting to do the same in Aus. Would love to work as a carpet fitter, knowing what's in store when you go to work. Will ditto the just want a chance to show what I can do (any offers ) Will have hit the big 40 by the time we get to Aus so hoping I can change careers as can't see me wanting to do what I do now for the next 20 to 30 years
the apprenticeships to all ages is what ive also read and hoping for as I do have to agree with the OH that there is no point in travelling 1/2 way round the world and still hate getting up for work for the rest of your life Here it seems that if they cant pay you the minimum cause you have just left school then there a few/if any chances of learning something new unless you pay lots to do it then you'd be hard pressed to get a job without experience anyway??If I get any positive info will post it as if we are all thinking it then there must be others.

kath x
Old Jan 29th 2008, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

gazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nice

Does the college have any child care facilities for adult education like here in the uk?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 12:09 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kjc79
hi,
the situation is -

thanks
kathx
I don't want to put him off but - what is a carpet? Haven't seen one of those for years!
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by worzel
I don't want to put him off but - what is a carpet? Haven't seen one of those for years!
they are those things that will keep our tootsies warm in the winter in SA.

kath x
Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel

This is South Australia, we're (apparantly) 20 years behind the rest of Australia and we still have them
Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby is doing an apprenticeship (although not in carpetfitting) and earns rubbish money.
No matter what your age, you earn the same as if you had gone into the apprenticeship straight from school. So as a 3rd year, H is earning the same as an 18 year old! Not really a living wage, but a good career path.

To go apprentice route. he will need:
Possibly to do a pre-apprentice course (not mandatory but helpful)
To find an employer willing to sponsor him
An apprentice org to do app. admin and check his progress etc.
A TAFE to train him (usually block release)

Some colleges do have childcare- and they give priority to students. Alternatively there are lots of childcare facilities around, although they are often full!
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pomster
My hubby is doing an apprenticeship (although not in carpetfitting) and earns rubbish money.
No matter what your age, you earn the same as if you had gone into the apprenticeship straight from school. So as a 3rd year, H is earning the same as an 18 year old! Not really a living wage, but a good career path.

To go apprentice route. he will need:
Possibly to do a pre-apprentice course (not mandatory but helpful)
To find an employer willing to sponsor him
An apprentice org to do app. admin and check his progress etc.
A TAFE to train him (usually block release)

Some colleges do have childcare- and they give priority to students. Alternatively there are lots of childcare facilities around, although they are often full!
thanks for your post. same as training over here then and was expecting cack money but for a more enjoyable working future it would be worth it.Now I know that they are willing to give apprenticships to older people(unlike here as much) Will get/have already asked the OH to email tafe to c whats available and options regarding the apprenticeships path etc but i am always hogging the computer with researching areas , schools and jobs and others opinions on this very informative site that he has looked into buying another laptopwill also go more indepth with the childcare options at the tafe too.

ta
kath x
Old Jan 30th 2008, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

good luck!

H is a mature 40, so no there is no age prejudice.

There is a national apprentice org called Apprentices Australia (or something similar!!!) and there will be some in each state. If you google.com.au for apprentice orgs South Aus, you should find some who can help with the process.