Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oh no, worried about expensive housing in Australia!

Oh no, worried about expensive housing in Australia!

Old Sep 30th 2002, 9:04 am
Just Joined

trismtr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oh no, worried about expensive housing in Australia!

Oh no, I am in doubt now!

Why did I want to go to a place where it is more expensive than US or Britain?

----------------------

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...115956539.html

Dr Oliver said Australian house prices were among the most expensive in the world in terms of relative household income and wealth levels. A house in Australia costs more than twice as much in terms of average household income than a US house does, and 36 per cent more than a British house.
Old Sep 30th 2002, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oh no, worried about expensive housing in Australia!

I think you must take it in context. As UK citizens going to Oz we are priveleged to have (hopefuly) capital from our UK house sales to fund a good home in Oz. I personally know that for the same price as my end terrace i can afford a 4 bed, 2 bath home with a pool in one of the better suburbs of Perth (approx 200-$300,000).

As for what standard f living we have- that reamins to be seen- but if you have little to no mortgage, you have a lot more money for other things.

Go on proprty websites such a REIWA and compare the standard and size of accomodation that you get for your money.

I guess it really depends where you are coming from. If you have a 4 bed terrace in Salford, you may find Oz pricey, but if you are from London for example you will be in for a hell of a nice surprise.
Cheers
Old Sep 30th 2002, 11:43 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of
Default Re: Oh no, worried about expensive housing in Australia!

Originally posted by Grub:
I think you must take it in context. As UK citizens going to Oz we are priveleged to have (hopefuly) capital from our UK house sales to fund a good home in Oz. I personally know that for the same price as my end terrace i can afford a 4 bed, 2 bath home with a pool in one of the better suburbs of Perth (approx 200-$300,000).

As for what standard f living we have- that reamins to be seen- but if you have little to no mortgage, you have a lot more money for other things.

Go on proprty websites such a REIWA and compare the standard and size of accomodation that you get for your money.

I guess it really depends where you are coming from. If you have a 4 bed terrace in Salford, you may find Oz pricey, but if you are from London for example you will be in for a hell of a nice surprise.
Cheers
Depends if you owned a house in London. If you are not in the property market in London because you can't afford it, Sydney is likely to be more of the same. The average property in Sydney costs 10 times the average salary.