Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oh no! There`s a terrorist in my toilet!!!

Oh no! There`s a terrorist in my toilet!!!

Old Feb 13th 2003, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future
Default Oh no! There`s a terrorist in my toilet!!!

The latest campaign by the Aussie Government to raise awareness of world terrorism - send everyone fridge magnets and leaflets on how to recognise them in your home!!!

Great - next time one calls I`ll just check with my magnet....

What a complete and utter waste of public money.
Old Feb 13th 2003, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

colind is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oh no! There`s a terrorist in my toilet!!!

Originally posted by pommiesheila
The latest campaign by the Aussie Government to raise awareness of world terrorism - send everyone fridge magnets and leaflets on how to recognise them in your home!!!

Agreed, PS. Didn't even open mine - sent it back marked Return to Sender. I object to the Govt spending my taxes on nonsense like this.
Old Feb 14th 2003, 12:53 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Just got my important message from little Johnny , seems I have to look out for Australia he is taking the pee.
I know that the armed forces here are rubbish but buggered if I am doing the job unpaid and untrained, get them SAS off the nude beach in Perth if theres any left on the base.
The things even written in Arabic whats the use of that are we tipping them off ? if this is all Australia has to combat terrorists god help them good job I am off.

Old Feb 14th 2003, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

colind is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by colin
Agreed, PS. Didn't even open mine - sent it back marked Return to Sender. I object to the Govt spending my taxes on nonsense like this.
And also to paying Steve Liebmann a reputed $50K for those TV ads.
Old Feb 14th 2003, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Shikse is an unknown quantity at this point

[i]Originally posted by pommie bastard [if this is all Australia has to combat terrorists god help them good job I am off.
Pommie, you're returning to ENGLAND! We've got loads of terrorists here. Suspect terrorists getting arrested everyday of the week, all over the UK. Read your leaflets and fridge magnets with care - you never know, you might need that advice once you're back in Blighty. We've had no advice, not even trival fridge magnets, sent from tour UK government. Yet the UK is supposedly on high terrorist alert. Australia is at least being forward thinking, shame our government weren't as forward thinking as Oz regarding testing would be migrants for AIDS, TB, Hep C/B etc. The Uk is riddled with it.

P.S London and UK airports are on high terrorist alert at the moment, tanks and armed troops at Heathrow Airport. Pommie, pray that there is no smallpox attack in the UK, Tony Blair said he would shut all ports and airports - then you'd never be able to come home, you'd be stuck in Perth for even longer!
Old Feb 14th 2003, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

captaincook is an unknown quantity at this point

The main difference between England and Australia is that England have lived with the threat of terrorism for a long time. I grew up in London and still remember Docklands after the IRA bombing and the Natwest tower. Consequently the police know what they are doing and are actually catching them in England and making arrests and no problems so far.

Australians hav'nt got a clue what they are doing. They had some poor English backpacker in jail the other week for making stupid comments on a plane. When I travel domestic luggage is not even scanned. We were travelling overseas recently and a respectable looking muslim family were in front of us at security and the officers allowed the pram to be wheeled around the side the machine to avoid folding it up. That would not happen in England anymore. It was probably OK but is that acceptable given it was of a tubular design which could contain anything.

I went into the Bank in Brisbane and there was a bag left on the floor under the counter. In London alarm bells start ringing in your head when you see things like that and even though it's been 5 years since I lived there I still think that way. I told the staff and they were grateful but had'nt noticed it. Australians are so isolated in their thinking and have no experience of this type of thing despite having one of the largest Muslim countries on their doorstep and it took Bali to awaken them to the realities. They are only playing catch up to England and I fear it will take something awful to happen here before they take it seriously. I personally would feel safer in London where the threat is apparent and being dealt with effectively.

Originally posted by Shikse
Pommie, you're returning to ENGLAND! We've got loads of terrorists here. Suspect terrorists getting arrested everyday of the week, all over the UK. Read your leaflets and fridge magnets with care - you never know, you might need that advice once you're back in Blighty. We've had no advice, not even trival fridge magnets, sent from tour UK government. Yet the UK is supposedly on high terrorist alert. Australia is at least being forward thinking, shame our government weren't as forward thinking as Oz regarding testing would be migrants for AIDS, TB, Hep C/B etc. The Uk is riddled with it.

P.S London and UK airports are on high terrorist alert at the moment, tanks and armed troops at Heathrow Airport. Pommie, pray that there is no smallpox attack in the UK, Tony Blair said he would shut all ports and airports - then you'd never be able to come home, you'd be stuck in Perth for even longer!
Old Feb 15th 2003, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

And I thought the Canadian Govenment was bad!!!!!!!!!!!! dont that beat all....................
Old Feb 15th 2003, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Having just got back from second trip to the Uk in 3 months, I must say I was very worried about security here. Boarding a plane in Sydney the couple in front of us were checked but their 2 kids walked through unsearched, I know they are kids but that would not stop a terrorist using them. At the same time my eyebrow tweezers were confiscated, wild that kids go unscanned but tweezers seen as a lethal weapon.

London security very high tho, I for one would have been very detered from trying anything. If Australia is putting itself up so freely as Bush's partner in war then security should match that of those countries. If war starts I will be very scared to be in Oz with its total lack of experience in such matters.

As for the fridge magnet fiasco, there is actually a joke magnet going around here, with a picture of Bin Laden on it, with the caption "have you seen him", then a Johnny howard phone number !!!

Tanks, armed personel, airport security V Fridge magnets, umm tough choice indeed.
Old Feb 16th 2003, 11:09 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Shikse

To true I take it the 88 Aussies who were blown to pieces passed you by ,give me a army thats protecting me anytime a booklet will do nothing to keep the airports safe , Australia is a soft target.