Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oh no! Serious doubts again.

Oh no! Serious doubts again.

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

micky will become famous soon enoughmicky will become famous soon enough
Default Oh no! Serious doubts again.

I have to write this as I cant seem to get rid of these feelings.
I'm ok most days and then.....f***! Maybe its PMT!!
Medicals just sent off as requested.
AM I DOING THE RIGHT THING?
Ever get fed up asking yourself thes question?????
Nice house. Good jobs. Good area & schools. Very good friends and family (some of them)
4 kids aged 14, 12, 6 and 2.
Over here I'm a nurse (bank) ie. not secure. Only get paid for what I work. Hubby a Fireman.
Why do I want to go then???
Sorry folks for rabbiting on.
Dotty's entries really put me off. I know its only 1 persons opinion but it does seem to affect me in a way.
If we go and hate it - I would never be able to afford what I've given up here (property wise).
No offence, but I would end up in a Council house.
BTW, I was brought up in one for 30 years.

HEEEEEEEEEEEELP. :scared: :scared: :scared:
lots of love and luck, Shona xxxx
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Oh no! Serious doubts again.

Originally posted by micky:
Nice house. Good jobs. Good area & schools. Very good friends and family (some of them)
Over here I'm a nurse (bank) ie. not secure. Only get paid for what I work. Hubby a Fireman.
Dotty's entries really put me off. I know its only 1 persons opinion but it does seem to affect me in a way.
If we go and hate it - I would never be able to afford what I've given up here (property wise).

Hi Shona
We all have niggling doubts somewhere in the back of our minds,but you have to do what you have to do .You wouldnt be human if you didnt have doubts,alot of us are in the same boat,once we leave the housing market here , we cant get back into it , i dont really want to get back into the housing market here!!!! Go give it a go , dont spend the rest of your life thinking " oh what if we had only gone and given it a go " . Youll be fine im sure im as worried as the next person , we leave in 8 weeks!!
Joanne xxx
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Diane is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by micky:

Okay - How many have you had.

Seriously though, you've got to think positive about all this. I think most of us probably feel the same (specially us girlies). I've worked by tits off since I was 17, raised our family, worked full time all the way through and it will carry on like that if we stay here. At least we're giving it a go, giving ourselves the chance for a better life. WE are doing it. (I mean that collectivley (all of us on the site). It's an adventure isn't it. You'll make loads of new mates in Perth. You are totally bonkers so that will help. As for family, well god they are going to have great holidays aren't they?

Chin up and look forward to it.

Auntie Diane xx
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 9:04 pm
ndaltonb

Hi Shona,

Aas has been said before, we all have a nasty little person in the back of our heads saying "but what if it all goes wrong". On the other hand, there is another fella saying "but what if it all goes OK".

My advice is as follows:
1. I spent my childhood in a warm sports mad country (South Africa) and living here in the UK, I always feel sad for the kids having to spend most of their time indoors. I spent all winter playing rugby and all summer playing football and swimming. The greatest is that the summer holiday is at XMAS!!. Added bonus for the parents is at Xmas, the kids are in the pool or outside.

2. On the housing front and worried about trying to get back on the property ladder if it does go pear shaped (heaven forbid), instead of going straight back to UK, would you consider a stint in Saudi or somewhere for a few years to get the cash to afford good home again. England may go through a property bust, exchange rate may change etc etc etc.

Nothing's certain except it will be an adventure

You need to sort this out and maybe chat to nurses in AUS to see how it is.

Go well

nigel db

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

ywoods is an unknown quantity at this point

Yuppers.. can go with you Shona.. just spent the last 2 hours bawling my eyes out... Still not sure and I dont think anyone ever will be til things are settled when you get out there which takes time. I am not being a pessimist.. please dont attack me Just saying it as it is ... been there done that once before already and dad was in the Army so did it a few times afore this too

Yvonne

Yvonne

23 days til we leave, 25 til we arrive. WATCH OUT MELBOURNE

Originally posted by ndaltonb:
Hi Shona,

Aas has been said before, we all have a nasty little person in the back of our heads saying "but what if it all goes wrong". On the other hand, there is another fella saying "but what if it all goes OK".

My advice is as follows:
1. I spent my childhood in a warm sports mad country (South Africa) and living here in the UK, I always feel sad for the kids having to spend most of their time indoors. I spent all winter playing rugby and all summer playing football and swimming. The greatest is that the summer holiday is at XMAS!!. Added bonus for the parents is at Xmas, the kids are in the pool or outside.

2. On the housing front and worried about trying to get back on the property ladder if it does go pear shaped (heaven forbid), instead of going straight back to UK, would you consider a stint in Saudi or somewhere for a few years to get the cash to afford good home again. England may go through a property bust, exchange rate may change etc etc etc.

Nothing's certain except it will be an adventure

You need to sort this out and maybe chat to nurses in AUS to see how it is.

Go well

nigel db
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

SuzeM is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we can all identify with the feelings you're having at the moment Shona. I had a bit of a panic the other night after reading all those negative posts. Since I've told people our plans its surprising how many have said "we were going to emigrate once......" and they're still here (one because her husband happened to punch out a policeman but thats by the by), and I don't want to say "if only........". Just going through the immigration process means were nothing if not resiliant. Basically, it goes without saying, at the end of the day, you need to turn the negatives into positives, (4 cliches claimed) so stop maudlin woman and get ready to enjoy life! I fully intend to and no-ones going to stop me! Sydney here I come (if the nice people at AHC let me in )
Sue (had a few)
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

tipper is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Oh no! Serious doubts again.

hi willy nurse, can you get done for drunk and surfing. when youve had a few wiskeys i thought you should have only a swingers attitude to life f**k it because you might miss a good one.
cheers tipper.
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

colind is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by SueandIan:
I think we can all identify with the feelings you're having at the moment Shona. I had a bit of a panic the other night after reading all those negative posts. Since I've told people our plans its surprising how many have said "we were going to emigrate once......" and they're still here (one because her husband happened to punch out a policeman but thats by the by), and I don't want to say "if only........". Just going through the immigration process means were nothing if not resiliant. Basically, it goes without saying, at the end of the day, you need to turn the negatives into positives, (4 cliches claimed) so stop maudlin woman and get ready to enjoy life! I fully intend to and no-ones going to stop me! Sydney here I come (if the nice people at AHC let me in )
Sue (had a few)
Sue, look us up when you arrive. We got to Sydney 11 weeks ago and we're loving it. I feel sorry for all of you having to read through all the negative posts that have been made recently. I'm not surprised you're having second thoughts! It's a hard enough step to take without having to take all of that on board. Here are some positive strokes: you will love Australia if you come with a positive attitude and you're prepared to throw yourself into it and embrace a new lifestyle. And when you do that, the Aussies will love you and you'll be fine. Look, you wouldn't have got this far if you didn't really want to go for it. I'm in Florida with work at the moment and going back to Sydney via the UK next week. Quite honestly, I'm more looking forward to getting back to Sydney than I am to seeing family and friends in the UK. It's not that I don't want to see them...I do, and I will love my time with them. But already, I feel like Australia's home and I hope it will be for a long time to come. (And also, spring will be just around the corner when I get home )

Be brave, cry a little if it helps, but get down here and let's all have a big party when you do that!

Col
x
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

SuzeM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by colin:

Sue, look us up when you arrive. We got to Sydney 11 weeks ago and we're loving it.

Col
x
Will do Col, glad to see someones happy!
Sue
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello again Shona,
It's good to hear that others are having panic attacks at the thought of uprooting your family and taking off to the otherside of the planet. I know life ain't going to be a breeze but then it ain't here so we'll give it a go. We're two nurses working here in the UK making peanuts and taking all the crap that goes with it (in the rain). Why not try a little crap in the sunshine.
Go Girl!
Regards Ginny.
Old Aug 23rd 2002, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

andyhf is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Shona,
Please forgive me if I am stating something that you have already considered, but you could always rent your property out for a few years, via a property management agency, thus avoiding losing your place on the ladder. Think of all that lovely pounds sterling paying your aussie dollar rent. Then, if you can't stand Oz, you will have your house back in the UK albeit probably somewhat worse for wear.

Hope this helps rather than hinders
Cheers
Andy
Old Aug 23rd 2002, 1:11 am
Robert Edwards

I haven't even read the other threads yet but I keep saying, if you have the right
attitude you will love it, but of course you can always return, it's probably better
to do what you feel is right for your family then to spend your life wondering, don't
you think?

Rob Edwards
www.allaustralianwebsite.com

"micky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > AM I DOING THE RIGHT THING?

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 1:12 am
Robert Edwards

Great attitude Auntie Di "Diane" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
m
    > >
    > > Chin up and look forward to it.
    > >
    > > Auntie Diane xx
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 1:16 am
Robert Edwards

That's it in a nutshell, and if you do that we will love you.

"colin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
. Here are some positive strokes:
    > you will love Australia if you come with a positive attitude and you're prepared to
    > throw yourself into it and embrace a new lifestyle. > Col x
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 1:49 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by micky:

Just one concern my best friend here was fireman in devon was told he could join here was told at 36 he was to old.He now does car detailing but is very bitter about the fact he could not join fire service it was his whole life.You will get a job nursing no problem as for you hubby he should try contacting fire service before you get here these jobs are not easy to get hunderds applie for them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.