Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oh no! Serious doubts again.

Oh no! Serious doubts again.

Old Sep 9th 2002, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

ywoods is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oh no! Serious doubts again.

Wow I did not read your post quite as well as I thought I thought you were only having doubts, not temporarily shelving the idea. Well all I can say is that you have made the right decision... you are not ready so why force the issue. As our fellow posters have said... validate your visa and chill for a few years.. nothing ventured nothing gained

Well done girl for being strong enough to face facts

Yvonne

5 days til we leave, 7 til we arrive. WATCH OUT MELBOURNE

Originally posted by micky:
Hi, only daft old me again.
Waiting anyday on our visas....but.......yet again...................
should I stay or should I go?
I'm abit of an indecisive gal (aries). One day I'm going then the next I'm staying put.
Kids are settled here and, like me, change their minds depending how their day went!
So...why unsettle everybody to a life they might not like/adjust to?
Can't rent out as we need the equity to get flights etc.
Will definately not afford to buy back into the kind of house I'm in just now. I like where I live, would miss friends and family.
Point being - Hope everyone on this site has a very happy life where ever they go. I'm staying put for the time being.
Hubby just qualified as a Firefighter (too good/secure a job to just 'give up')

I just dont think I can do it.
Best of luck everyone,
love Shona xx
Old Sep 10th 2002, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

cky: [/i]
Hi, only daft old me again.>
Waiting anyday on our visas....but.......yet again...................
should I stay or should I go?
I'm abit of an indecisive gal (aries). One day I'm going then the next I'm staying put.
Kids are settled here and, like me, change their minds depending how their day went!
So...why unsettle everybody to a life they might not like/adjust to?
Can't rent out as we need the equity to get flights etc.
Will definately not afford to buy back into the kind of house I'm in just now. I like where I live, would miss friends and family.
Point being - Hope everyone on this site has a very happy life where ever they go. I'm staying put for the time being.
Hubby just qualified as a Firefighter (too good/secure a job to just 'give up')

I just dont think I can do it.

Shona, I'm so sorry to read that you are not going to come to Australia - especially when a lot of your indecision seems to be fuelled by Dotty, who really doesn't deserve to be living in this fantastic country. Why don't you contact FESA (the WA fire service) or visit their website www.fire.wa.gov.au to check out the criteria for applying as a firefighter with them. Worse case scenario, you come out on holiday to validate your visa, then when hubby has finished his training you can still come out here if you want to. I didn't leave the UK because I didn't like it, but for a sense of adventure. I live in Adelaide, have been here for 12 years, and last time I visited Britain (last Christmas) I cried when I got back, because I was so damn happy to be back on Aussie soil. It's a fantastic country if you come here with the right attitude.
Best of luck, adelaidegirl [/QUOTE] <

Shona has doubts about her husbands job, family friends, home, kids schools, hardly issues that can be blamed on dotty! What I suggested was renting out her home if in doubt rather than selling up! Good advice but obviously I realise that not everybody can afford this. What a pity that constructive advice is discouraged on this site. Thankfully tho I believe that most immigrants have enough wisdom to hear the good and the bad and then make their own decisions.
Old Sep 10th 2002, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

>
Having seen Adelaide I cannot agree more it could make most cry seen more life in a morgue .City of churches not far wrong , filled with people praying to get out of it <

[/QUOTE]

I think those who have seen a bit of Australia do get a laugh out of Pommie. He certainly hits the nail on the head and often with humour, often tho between the lines which may go over the heads of those who have never visited here. I must ask Pommie what do you do here, jobwise I mean? And from that photo you seem to be getting quite a following with the English ladies, must be the hair, doesn't it get warm in summer tho? Now Pommie to be fair, name 3 things you like about Australia.
Old Sep 11th 2002, 12:00 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty:
>
Having seen Adelaide I cannot agree more it could make most cry seen more life in a morgue .City of churches not far wrong , filled with people praying to get out of it <

I think those who have seen a bit of Australia do get a laugh out of Pommie. He certainly hits the nail on the head and often with humour, often tho between the lines which may go over the heads of those who have never visited here. I must ask Pommie what do you do here, jobwise I mean? And from that photo you seem to be getting quite a following with the English ladies, must be the hair, doesn't it get warm in summer tho? Now Pommie to be fair, name 3 things you like about Australia. [/QUOTE]

I work For a Hi-Tec research firm in Perth not doing to well right now , the department I work in used to have 40 people now only 4 of us left and still looks like the end is coming.
What do I like about Australia hard one that , the weather does suit me if it stays below 35 degrees , I enjoy mixing with Poms from all over UK that are here and being with in easy reach of the coast having lived in the Midlands in UK.
The picture shows I am turning Aussie have to fight the ladies off here, hope they let me back in UK . Nice to hear from you , I do find it amusing that the dreamers turn on those who tell it like it is, but then we are here they are just dreaming.Best Wishes PB

Last edited by pommie bastard; Sep 11th 2002 at 1:40 am.
Old Sep 11th 2002, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

dpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point

From PB: I work For a Hi-Tec research firm in Perth not doing to well right now , the department I work in used to have 40 people now only 4 of us left and still looks like the end is coming.

Pommie, please satisfy my curiosity - what exactly do you do at this Hi-Tech firm? Even Osama Bin Laden wasn't that successful

PB:I enjoy mixing with Poms from all over UK that are here and being with in easy reach of the coast having lived in the Midlands in UK.

I disagree with most of what you say, but defend your right to say it (I am not willing to die to defend it though - apologies to Voltaire or whoever it was). The problem seems to be one of style rather than the substance of what you're saying - have you considered that maybe sitting around chatting to your chums (all Poms it seems) rather than fraternising with some locals and other non -Pom immigrants may help mellow your perspective/become more diplomatic - or is it too late? I have seen the same in the UK - get a bunch of foreigners e.g. Aussies/Yanks/South Africans/Martians and they all start whingeing about the Poms and the UK (England particularly) and about real or perceived problems. The magnitude of the problem(s) seems to increase exponentially with the number of people of the same background involved in the discussion.

DPR

By the way keep Mrs PB on the forum - her post this morning was a 'classic'
Old Sep 11th 2002, 7:02 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dpr21:
From PB: I work For a Hi-Tec research firm in Perth not doing to well right now , the department I work in used to have 40 people now only 4 of us left and still looks like the end is coming.

Pommie, please satisfy my curiosity - what exactly do you do at this Hi-Tech firm? Even Osama Bin Laden wasn't that successful

PB:I enjoy mixing with Poms from all over UK that are here and being with in easy reach of the coast having lived in the Midlands in UK.

I disagree with most of what you say, but defend your right to say it (I am not willing to die to defend it though - apologies to Voltaire or whoever it was). The problem seems to be one of style rather than the substance of what you're saying - have you considered that maybe sitting around chatting to your chums (all Poms it seems) rather than fraternising with some locals and other non -Pom immigrants may help mellow your perspective/become more diplomatic - or is it too late? I have seen the same in the UK - get a bunch of foreigners e.g. Aussies/Yanks/South Africans/Martians and they all start whingeing about the Poms and the UK (England particularly) and about real or perceived problems. The magnitude of the problem(s) seems to increase exponentially with the number of people of the same background involved in the discussion.

DPR

By the way keep Mrs PB on the forum - her post this morning was a 'classic'
Sorry can not tell you what I do as that would give away all my secrets must keep you guessing , have a go could be interesting .
I have friends that are from all over the world ,even some Aussies who are very close to us .
What I have said about Australia has nothing to do with the way I view life , a person who gets a life sentance can be used to prison and never want to leave it .
After 9 long years its to time to be released , I do think that most things that happen in this world happen in Europe and USA not the arse end of it Australia.

I also enjoyed the wifes post gets my vote too.
Old Sep 11th 2002, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

Dotty- not meaning to patronise you, but why do you think most of us are moving to Australia? We either know people who have moved there and love it, or maybe we have visited a number of times and see it's possibilities. None of us have seen glossy brochures on emigration, or had pro-Oz videos to convince us (do these things exist). I think i am speaking for every emigrant now- yes- we do have slightly rosey views. How else would we cope with unsetlling our children, selling our possessions and family home, leaving behind friends and family (some of the older ones we may never see again). We need this cheery and positive outlook to get us through the stress and the hard times, to keep us going. Whilst i think that being made aware of possible pitfalls, i honestly believe that both yourself and people like PB are not really truly trying to help us, i think you are angry and embittered and see this web site as a channel for the negative energy you have inside. I do not want to discourage you if you honestly believe that you have something constructive to add, but please keep the whingeing and droaning to a minimum.

Thanks in adavance.

Nicky
xxx
Old Sep 11th 2002, 10:30 am
akq
Forum Regular

akq is an unknown quantity at this point

As always Nicky, well put, reasoned, not unkind or unintelligible. thanks for your input, I've been thinking exactly the same thing about dotty. Her experiences could actually be helpful if she wasn't such a negative nelly and always looking on the downside.
Cheers,
tegan
Old Sep 12th 2002, 12:39 am
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dpr21:

Did not realy answer this, Osama Bin Laden did not have the benefit of top class Australian management behind him .
They top the league when it comes to failures and wasting money , at the same time cream it for themselfs giving very little in return.
The great and good at this company have spent millions on living the good life in UK unlike those on the way here, and got though $180 million of share holders money with no returns and a failing company.
If this country was not a prison they should be sent to one,then again they as honest as most Aussies.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Sep 12th 2002 at 4:06 am.
Old Sep 12th 2002, 1:57 am
Banned

Originally posted by akq:
As always Nicky, well put, reasoned, not unkind or unintelligible. thanks for your input, I've been thinking exactly the same thing about dotty. Her experiences could actually be helpful if she wasn't such a negative nelly and always looking on the downside.
Cheers,
tegan
Okay so if anyone gives you the truth they are a negative nelly , try this for size.
Australia is a wonderful country a land of plenty where everything is good and everyone lives a full life .
There is no unemployment and a out standing Health care system not needed because nobody falls ill .
Wages are the best on the planet and conditions of employment can not be beaten anywhere on Earth.
Childern are educated to the highest standards, never spend time playing silly computer games far to busy playing sport.
There is no crime the jails are empty , people leave their doors open and never lock their cars because nobody ever steals here.
No one complains of anything lifes far to good to do that , the sun shines every day it never gets cold or to warm and never rains.
The streets are full of people dancing with the joy of it all ,the Doctors are busy playing golf all day there are no ill people here.
This is total bollocks but sure you will love it , its better to dream than to be there.

Old Sep 12th 2002, 8:09 am
Chris

"pommie bastard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by akq:
    > > As always Nicky, well put, reasoned, not unkind or unintelligible. thanks for
    > > your input, I've been thinking exactly the same thing about dotty. Her
    > > experiences could actually be helpful if she wasn't such a negative nelly and
    > > always looking on the downside. Cheers, tegan

> This is total bollocks but sure you will love it , its better to dream than to
    > be there.

Not what she said at all, but then we're not surprised you missed the point again.
You seem to be able to only operate in extremes, ie. really good or really bad.
You're unbalanced. Your "logic" seems to conclude that anyone who disagrees with
your depressive, exaggerated views of the place *must* obviously adore the Australia
and have just as silly elated and exaggerated views contrary to your own.

Chris

>
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 13th 2002, 12:19 am
Banned

.You're unbalanced. Your "logic" seems to conclude that anyone who disagrees with
your depressive, exaggerated views of the place *must* obviously adore the Australia
and have just as silly elated and exaggerated views contrary to your own.

Chris

>
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
[/QUOTE]

Lets reason this out people who do not live here , argue that those who do and see both sides , have exaggerated and depressive views , great logic .
Then in order to block comments about Australia that do not suit , they resort to personal abuse because it keeps them in their comfort zone.
This does amuse me and shows what kind of people are coming to the land of plenty , open minded and clear thinking individuals I think not .
Anyway had a great night at the local last night , and have just booked up for my golf on Sunday , must get some depressing thoughs.
Try remaining in Australia for the rest of my life that is depressing .

Last edited by pommie bastard; Sep 13th 2002 at 1:30 am.
Old Sep 13th 2002, 1:51 pm
Thunder Ace

pommie bastard <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > .You're unbalanced. Your "logic" seems to conclude that anyone who disagrees with
    > your depressive, exaggerated views of the place *must* obviously adore the
    > Australia and have just as silly elated and exaggerated views contrary to your own.
    > Chris
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted via http://briti-
    > > shexpats.com/http://britishexpats.com

> >
    > Lets reason this out people who do not live here , argue that those who do and
    > see both sides , have exaggerated and depressive views , great logic . Then in
    > order to block comments about Australia that do not suit , they resort to personal
    > abuse because it keeps them in their comfort zone. This does amuse me and shows
    > what kind of people are coming to the land of plenty , open minded and clear
    > thinking individuals I think not . Anyway had a great night at the local last
    > night , and have just booked up for my golf on Sunday , must get some depressing
    > thoughs .

Your posts are quite entertaining PB, but I'm having trouble following some of your
arguments because your grammar and punctuation is a bit poor. Can you improve these a
bit? I know you will see this as a constructive criticism so I'm sure you will make
the effort. By the way, where is your local, I might cath up with you for a few
schooners when I get there.

Thunder Ace

Old Sep 14th 2002, 12:38 pm
Banned

> thoughs .

Your posts are quite entertaining PB, but I'm having trouble following some of your
arguments because your grammar and punctuation is a bit poor. Can you improve these a
bit? I know you will see this as a constructive criticism so I'm sure you will make
the effort. By the way, where is your local, I might cath up with you for a few
schooners when I get there.

Thunder Ace
[/QUOTE]

Try the Old Bailey Joondalup you would be most welcome, sorry no schooners pal only pints , but will get you one in if I meet you don't believe the bull on here I am quite friendy realy.
My written English is poor , don't mistake that for
uninteligence my maths is very good , spoken English has gone down hill since I have been here.
I thought the hate mob told you not to reply to my posts?

Last edited by pommie bastard; Sep 15th 2002 at 2:41 am.
Old Sep 16th 2002, 8:38 am
Thunder Ace

pommie bastard <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > > thoughs .
    > Your posts are quite entertaining PB, but I'm having trouble following
    > some of your
    > arguments because your grammar and punctuation is a bit poor. Can you
    > improve these a
    > bit? I know you will see this as a constructive criticism so I'm sure
    > you will make
    > the effort. By the way, where is your local, I might cath up with you
    > for a few
    > schooners when I get there.
    > Thunder Ace

> >
    > Try the Old Bailey Jondalup you would be most welcome, sorry no
    > schooners pal only pints , but will get you one in if I meet you don't
    > believe the bull on here I am quite friendy realy.
    > My written English is poor , don"t mistake that for
    > uninteligence my maths is very good , spoken English has gone down hill
    > since I have been here.

I've just re-read my last post and I must say it could have been more
tactful. Quite rude actually, probably the result of too much alcohol.
Anyway, good to see you didn't take offence.

> I thought the hate mob told you not to reply to my posts?
I make my own decisions, but to be fair they are a pretty good lot.

Thunder Ace

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.