Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oh no - I've done it again!

Wikiposts

Oh no - I've done it again!

Old Jan 22nd 2006, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of
Unhappy Oh no - I've done it again!

For a few weeks now, hubbie and I have been really excited about moving to Oz next year but I've done it again - I read the Moving back to the UK forum. Now I am on a downer - I have got that "what on earth are we doing" feeling.

Somebody please tell me something uplifting about Oz and why you like it so much. Plus someone please tell me the schools aren't that bad!

Thanks

Jo
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 2:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh no - I've done it again!

Originally Posted by joeyb
For a few weeks now, hubbie and I have been really excited about moving to Oz next year but I've done it again - I read the Moving back to the UK forum. Now I am on a downer - I have got that "what on earth are we doing" feeling.

Somebody please tell me something uplifting about Oz and why you like it so much. Plus someone please tell me the schools aren't that bad!

Thanks

Jo
Chin up, don't go into the Moving Back room it's full of scary stuff :scared:

Sent you a Karma and PM to cheer you up
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 2:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joeyb

Thanks

Jo
Forget what others say. Come & find out for yourselves, it's the only way.

Good luck
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 3:28 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

When the doubts start setting in for me this thread cheers me up every time:-

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=310325&pp=10

Hope it helps!

Rach xxxx
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 4:44 am
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I agree - don't read the other forum...stick to this one

I was chatting to my Dad on the phone this morning. He's in Perth, Aust and I am in London. Anyway he moved us all over in 1983 and we later became citizens! As much as he likes coming back for a holiday, appreciates some British things - (caffreys, kilkenny, marmite being a few) He would never want to move back here.

He was saying to me that he knew it was hard leaving family (both he and my late Mother left behind their Mum's) but he said that he and my Mum had to do what was right for theirs and our futures and they believed that Australia was the ticket!

I grew up in Australia always thinking the grass must be greener in England (although my whole family were very much the opposite) , finally when I was 23 (after meeting a bloke on the internet who lived in England) I was off. I moved back here in 1999 thinking I'd be happy to settle back here forever. WRONG! I might have believed that I was English (and I am...very proud to be) But I was an Aussie too! (please god may I never get an accent ick!!)

I miss Australia so much and it has become like a toothache - getting progressively worse over the years. I plan on going back in Dec with my partner (yes the internet bloke) and I cannot wait.

YES I will miss England as there are many fantastic things about this country but I miss Australia more!!

Now....no one take this the wrong way, but us poms have been known to be good at whinging and it's a fact that Aussies believe that it's our national past time. I must confess that being a citizen and living in Australia slightly longer than England has made me agree. Hear me out though -

If you are moving to Australia soon....try not to -

1. Compare England to Australia too many times! It's not the same place at all. The fact that our queen is their queen means nothing! We shipped criminals over there 100's of years ago, for goodness sake! You are not going to get a good reception if you compare England more favourably! The term 'b*gger off back to your own country' might be heard!

2. Never be heard in supermarkets exclaiming that they can't even do proper Marmalade or Marmite! Irn Bru or Walkers crisps! PLEASE people - you have moved to Australia for a different lifestyle! Try the Aussie alternatives or go to the English shops and buy your bits there!

3. Linked to above! If you do have to buy English foodstuffs from English shops - please then never complain that a packet of polo's cost you the equiv of £2.00! Of course they did!!!!! The little blighters had to be shipped over from England to Australia on a Plane, then pass customs, then make some importing company some extra cash!

4. Also, complaining about the weather being too hot! Well...sorry but you obviously got confused between Austria and Australia! Australia IS HOT! Get used to it! It has flies, mozzies, spiders, snakes, beer bellies, accents, etc!

That is what makes it so special

Susan
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of

Thanks for all your replies.
I feel a lot better now and I am back talking about our plans for when we first get over to Oz. Mind you, I have had a couple of beers so that may be helping a little.

Cheers

Jo
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

Coupla always helps

I never look in there :scared: Like the others say go see for yourself,
if you dont you maybe making a big mistake.

I look at it this way, I dont want to wake up when Im 60 and think .....what if...

Id rather wake up and think well at least I tried

xx
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hilary6
Coupla always helps

I never look in there :scared: Like the others say go see for yourself,
if you dont you maybe making a big mistake.

I look at it this way, I dont want to wake up when Im 60 and think .....what if...

Id rather wake up and think well at least I tried

xx

Good way of looking at it!
I am never, ever going to that other place again :scared:

Jo