Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OH NO !!!!! DISASTER FOR ALL SKILLED MIGRANTS (NOT I T)

OH NO !!!!! DISASTER FOR ALL SKILLED MIGRANTS (NOT I T)

Old Jan 9th 2002, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

britbird is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello
Just found out the at the AHC have STOPPED processing all skilled independant visas as from Nov 1st to get rid of the IT back log. So if, like us, you are a mere mortal, then it looks like we're at the edge of the precipice looking into the fires of hell ( Ooo - sorry Sydney - no pun intended)
I'm so depressed as I'm homeless as of the end of Feb!
Boo Bloody Hoo!!
Britbird
Old Jan 9th 2002, 7:40 pm
Jaj

I really wonder if it's worth ringing the AHC to find out what 'month' they are
processing. You get to speak to some admin person who probably knows little more than
you do about visa availability etc.

If you could get to speak to the Principal Migration Officer and he/she was willing
to speak freely it might be a different matter, but that's just not going to happen.

Trying to micro-observe the processing process is going to be a frustrating
experience. One of the main drivers is if they get an allocation of visas through
from Canberra. There's not all that much 'processing' to do in each case once they
have a visa available to grant.

IT applications (on a worldwide basis) are only 25% of the skilled programme, at
least in 2000.

Jeremy

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 9th 2002, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

almey is an unknown quantity at this point

What was your source?

Thanks

Steve
Old Jan 10th 2002, 12:59 am
Jb

Well here is a recent corresspondence from Mumbai Consultate regarding the delays in
processing :

Dear Mr Bedi

Currently this office is experiencing strong demand in the 136 and
138/139 subclasses. This means that we must carefully manage our caseload to ensure
orderly delivery of the migration program as announced by government. In addition
resources and priorities must be balanced to address the total workload within
the office covering both temporary and permanent entry caseloads.

In accordance with the Government's announcements regarding priority processing for
applicants with information and communications technology
(ICT) skills, highest priority is being given to ICT applicants with Australian
qualifications ahead of ICT applicants who were trained overseas. Lower
priority is being given to general skills applicants who do not have ICT
qualifications. Applicants whose occupations are on the Migration Occupations
in Demand list (MODL) are also accorded priority under the ICT applications.

With more than 1,000 applications from ICT professional in the pipeline with about
half having Australian qualifications, you will appreciate that it is difficult to
provide an accurate assessment of processing times.

In general, applications are processed in order of lodgement within their priority
group. This office is currently assessing ICT applicants who lodged their application
prior to 1 June 2001, and MODL applicants who lodged prior to 1 January 2001.

This office is also currently processing lower priority subclass
136/138/139 applications that were lodged prior to November 2000.

When an assessment of an application takes place, the applicant or their authorised
Migration Agent will be advised of the decision or asked to provide any outstanding
requirements as appropriate. We appreciate that applications may not be processed as
quickly as applicants may wish and that this may cause uncertainty to clients, but
you can be assured that all applications will assessed at the earliest opportunity.

I trust this information will be of assistance.

Thanking you

Yours truly

Visa Officer Australian Consulate General Maker Tower E 4th Floor Cuffe Parade Mumbai
400005 Tel No: 2181071/2181072, Ext. 415

Old Jan 10th 2002, 8:25 am
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Steve,

Source was a very good Migration Agent in London who speaks to the High Commission very regular. I suspect they are getting short of visas and so as not to run out too soon have gone on a go slow on processing applications apart from IT. They apparently have not processed all the IT applications they received before 1st November and this is what they are concentrating on. Out of interest has any IT person who applied in say October been granted their visas yet?

They also apparently did consider raising the pass mark to 115 so as to throw out a lot of applications but I gather there was a lot of protesting from the agents about this as this would be unfair to people who have waited all this time and paid out a lot of money to apply. So Canberra has decided to slow down the process instead.

This go slow is supposed to be for 4 months, so we will just have to hope that in the meantime they don't use all of visas left on IT applicants as then it would be July before they could start processing again!!!

The worrying thing is that they can't go on with this great big back log as it will get bigger and bigger and so I expect that changes will happen, I just hope it doesn't jepordise the applications of those of us who have been waiting all this time perhaps whatever changes they do decide on will just affect new applicants (we live in hope.

Heading Downunder 2002 (hopefully) (everything crossed)

Please note this is London High Commission I don't know about others around the world
Old Jan 10th 2002, 9:10 am
Mandy Bale

We applied for IT skilled PR visa. Application was sent early July. Meds and police
clearance was asked for and sent to AHC London oct 2nd, visa granted 13 December. We
used a very good agent - Concept Australia.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 10th 2002, 9:19 am
Just Joined

mxqt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by heading downunder 2002
Steve,

Source was a very good Migration Agent in London who speaks to the High Commission very regular. I suspect they are getting short of visas and so as not to run out too soon have gone on a go slow on processing applications apart from IT.

This is what my case officer told me too.

They apparently have not processed all the IT applications they received before 1st November and this is what they are concentrating on. Out of interest has any IT person who applied in say October been granted their visas yet.
They also apparently did consider raising the pass mark to 115

probably they will do this in the near future

so as to throw out a lot of applications but I gather there was a lot of protesting from the agents about this as this would be unfair to people who have waited all this time and paid out a lot of money to apply. So Canberra has decided to slow down the process instead.

My file was closed in August and in September I was told that they got a very limited number of visas for this financial year (most for IT applicants and a few for lucky ones)

This go slow is supposed to be for 4 months, so we will just have to hope that in the meantime they don't use all of visas left on IT applicants as then it would be July before they could start processing again!!!

The worrying thing is that they can't go on with this great big back log as it will get bigger and bigger and so I expect that changes will happen, I just hope it doesn't jepordise the applications of those of us who have been waiting all this time perhaps whatever changes they do decide on will just affect new applicants (we live in hope.

Please note this is London High Commission I don't know about others around the world
About the same situation in Belgrade.

In Pretoria the caseloads for subclass 136 were transferred to Adelaide.
Old Jan 10th 2002, 9:20 am
Just Joined

mxqt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by heading downunder 2002
Steve,

Source was a very good Migration Agent in London who speaks to the High Commission very regular. I suspect they are getting short of visas and so as not to run out too soon have gone on a go slow on processing applications apart from IT.

This is what my case officer told me too.

They apparently have not processed all the IT applications they received before 1st November and this is what they are concentrating on. Out of interest has any IT person who applied in say October been granted their visas yet.
They also apparently did consider raising the pass mark to 115

probably they will do this in the near future

so as to throw out a lot of applications but I gather there was a lot of protesting from the agents about this as this would be unfair to people who have waited all this time and paid out a lot of money to apply. So Canberra has decided to slow down the process instead.

My file was closed in August and in September I was told that they got a very limited number of visas for this financial year (most for IT applicants and a few for lucky ones)

About the same situation in Belgrade.

In Pretoria the caseload for subclass 136 was transferred to Adelaide.
Old Jan 10th 2002, 12:05 pm
Jaj

From posts on this group, it seems that many other posts are in as bad or worse shape
than London. Adelaide's not much better.

Having said that, people are still being granted (non-IT) visas after about 12/13
months, using London as an example.

Sometimes visa posts don't know themselves when they will get the next allocation of
visas from Canberra.

Slowing down the process was mentioned well over a year ago as a response to
increasing demand. Clearly it can't go on for ever and one/more of the following has
got to happen:

- a bigger skilled programme
- a fall-off in applications
- a rise in the pass mark
- changes to the basic requirements / points score / MODL

At the same time we know that:

- the Government has a track record in expanding the skilled migration program since
it came to office
- If you read some of the Minister's speeches he seems strongly in favour of skilled
migration provided it can be achieved without lowering the pass mark
- There is a reasonable constituency in Australia (especially in the business
community) that believes that Australia needs a sustained period of higher
migration - up to 1960s levels - to bring the Australian population over a
generation closer to that of Canada's.

There's no guarantee the pass mark won't go up. Of course what that means is that
(offshore) applications on 110 points would go into the pool. There have been some
rumours that DIMA are working on some new schemes to encourage skilled people to
settle in regional Australia (much of which is very keen for new migrants) and these
schemes would probably be available to pooled applicants. Currently the schemes like
Skill Matching are employer driven and there may be something new that's more
individual driven in the pipeline.

In going through the migration process, you need to at least try not to fret about
how many applications are processed each day at London or anywhere else. I am
convinced that ringing the High Commission to make general inquiries on what 'month'
is being processed (as opposed to checking out something specific with your own case)
is a non-value added activitity.

If we had indications of the following from an official source:
- numbers of applications received each week
- number of applications in pipeline
- number of visa granted each week then it might be easier to make considered
judgements on what is going on. Without that sort of information in the public
domain, I doubt if anyone can be really sure of what is going on.

Jeremy

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 10th 2002, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Chris000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Go Slow

It really baffles me how Australia can afford to continue with this I.T thing when, if you believe what you read the I.T shortage has virtually stopped, while the demand for other occupations continues to grow (nurse's are in very short supply in Aus, for example). Is there a hidden agenda or is Australia really that far behind the rest of the world?

So what does this slow down mean? Presumably we wont get processed until the new year starts in July. And then what,will be at the back of all the I.T ppl that apply between now and then.

Has anyone in the UK (non I.T) had any correspondance from Australia House since November 1st 2001?

Chris.
Old Jan 10th 2002, 2:26 pm
A+V Johnson

Dear Chris Yes we got our PR Visa on the 6 th Dec 2001 and applied Oct 2000 Roni

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 10th 2002, 6:40 pm
George Lombard

Dear Jeremy,

I would just add to what you've said that the Australian IT priority continues,
although Canada has recently abandoned its own priority program in IT.

You mentioned a couple of things which require comment:

>
    >

Adelaide seems to have a very deep pocket of visas and is sticking by its promise of
speedy processing. Our first post-1 November IT case was granted this week and a
number of others are going very quickly. On the other hand, some posts seem to be
almost deliberately frustrating processing, possibly as a means of hanging on to
existing jobs or as an argument for additional resources, who knows? The single most
inefficient and inequitable way of managing the backlog would be to have dwindling
caseloads in every offshore processing post.

>
    >

Not sure you can blame Canberra for this entirely. There are a range of issues, most
particularly shifts in demand and the onshore graduate visas. Anyway, as the skilled
migration program is about to get a new manager we can probably expect some changes
in February or March, on the new broom principle.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

And what evidence, Jeremy, do you have that slowing down the process can't go on for
ever? Read 1984 or have a look at the processing times for skilled applications
from the third world, particularly Colombo, Islamabad, Nairobi. Of course, if the
program reached that length of waiting period demand from the best applicants would
decrease, and to that extent the smart money seems to be on a "temporary" rise in the
pass mark, so as not to disadvantage current 110 point applicants but to discourage
future 110 point applicants.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Highly contentious statements. The Government has cautiously expanded the skilled
pool from about 38 to 44 k if my memory serves me, while at the same time slashing
family places, over its six years in government. Not sure how much further they can
go, particularly as most of the onshore graduates in IT are working in petrol
stations or as security guards. Not sure that the Minister has given careful thought
to all the implications of the program, other than the very basic ideas that by
concentrating on skilled migration we improve the gene pool and attract the resources
that more highly educated people tend to have. The constituency that is arguing for
higher levels of migration is itself divided on the nature of the labour required.
While some may argue for higher skilled migration levels, there are as many who
believe we would be better off getting agricultural and other low-status workers from
the third world through our refugee program (and replacing all the working holiday
visa holders thereby) than attracting skilled migrants. This is one of the subtexts
of the Tampa debate, such as it has been.

There have been some rumours that DIMA are working on some new
    >
    >
    >
    >

This has been the bugbear of migration in Australia for over 50 years. You can bring
people to the country here, but they migrate to the cities. The post-war migrants
tell stories about going to Sydney without permission. Unfortunately, s.92 of the
Constitution guarantees that trade, commerce and intercourse between the states shall
be "free". Unless you put skilled migrants on Nauru (ie outside Australia) you won't
be able to force them to stay in Adelaide or Hobart. Bonding people to remain in
those places would be a massive administrative exercise as a high level of monitoring
would be required. And bringing people to Adelaide or Hobart isn't going to create
jobs there.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Very well said.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

And with modern technology, that would appear to be a blindingly simple option.
Transparent, and if combined with a notional queue date, the answer to 80% of their
phone enquiries

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au

Old Jan 10th 2002, 6:54 pm
ndaltonb

Hi Britbird,

I had heard exactly the same thing back in December, also from a very reliable agent who speaks to AHC every evening. I just wish there was something we non-IT folks could do to raise this with the Minister for Imigration to let him know our plight, however I am very loath to do so in case I am labeled as a whinger.

Suffering in silence and wishing I could get on with my life.

Nigel db

Originally posted by britbird
Hello
Just found out the at the AHC have STOPPED processing all skilled independant visas as from Nov 1st to get rid of the IT back log. So if, like us, you are a mere mortal, then it looks like we're at the edge of the precipice looking into the fires of hell ( Ooo - sorry Sydney - no pun intended)
I'm so depressed as I'm homeless as of the end of Feb!
Boo Bloody Hoo!!
Britbird

Old Jan 10th 2002, 6:56 pm
ndaltonb

Hi Britbird,

I had heard exactly the same thing back in December, also from a very reliable agent who speaks to AHC every evening. I just wish there was something we non-IT folks could do to raise this with the Minister for Imigration to let him know our plight, however I am very loath to do so in case I am labeled as a whinger.

Suffering in silence and wishing I could get on with my life.

Nigel db

P.S. Sorry to hear you are homeless soon. How's the exchange rate holding up.

Originally posted by britbird
Hello
Just found out the at the AHC have STOPPED processing all skilled independant visas as from Nov 1st to get rid of the IT back log. Britbird

Old Jan 10th 2002, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

dave66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I'm an IT person. I have not yet applied as I am waiting for some references to arrive before doing so.

I have worked in Europe for the past 13 years and I must say I reckon Australia is behind in the IT world. They just haven't been spending anywhere near the amount of money on IT that Europe have.

I'm not saying that Australia is in the stone age as there are some very bright people here, it's just that they do have a lack of resources in certain specialised areas. These areas are generally referred to as 'leading edge' technologies and although there are alot of people doing IT courses in Australia at the moment, there is a lack of experience and as a result the government needs to loosen its visa underpants. A lot of the Australian made IT people are in Europe or the States making 'loads of money', this is another reason for the shortfall.

So, until all the IT Ozzies come home or the level of experience increases, you may have to put up with it. Doesn't really help you lot though does it.

I do agree with what someone said above, nurses should get priority over IT people. Nurses should be paid more than IT people as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.