Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oh no cold feet!!!!!!

Oh no cold feet!!!!!!

Old May 30th 2006, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oh no cold feet!!!!!!

Needed to do this thread as i cannot talk to family or friends about this.. The last week or so starting to get cold feet about the whole Australia thing. Me and the OH decided in November 05 that we wanted to go, got the ball rolling with an agent and our visa app sent of in March. I am always reading threads on here my husband not so much. After all my reading the rose tinted glasses have came off.

The Main reason of moving to Oz was for a better lifestyle not sure if Oz will give us this now.(husband will be earning a lot less than the Uk) Can't talk to my family as i know they will just tell me not to go and i do want to go just so scared for the future!!!!!! Not sure if i feel like this as my house is nearly ready to go on the market and we have found a new home for our cat.

Our medicals are due soon which is more money, please someone tell me this is just natural, where has all the excitement gone.

Stacey

Last edited by stacey and jordan; May 30th 2006 at 3:00 pm.
Old May 30th 2006, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Oh no cold feet!!!!!!

Can totally sympathise with you!!

I've gone through that stage a couple of times now, once the night we had a job offer (we're being sponsored in so v important) and then again the night we had all details confirmed and were in position to hand in notice - although still not applied for visa at that stage!

Anyway we too will take a salary drop and family think we're a bit mad on that front but we're not doing it for the money! We're doing it so my husband doesn't work 80 hr weeks - that is definately going to improve!

Keep going - I've read so much negative stuff that you can't be in any doubt but if you give it a try at least you'll know what might've been! I'd rather not regret things we haven't done!

xxx
Old May 30th 2006, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh no cold feet!!!!!!

I think a lot of it is fear of the unknown.

You are not alone - at lot of us have our doubts - it is normal.

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan
Needed to do this thread as i cannot talk to family or friends about this.. The last week or so starting to get cold feet about the whole Australia thing. Me and the OH decided in November 05 that we wanted to go, got the ball rolling with an agent and our visa app sent of in March. I am always reading threads on here my husband not so much. After all my reading the rose tinted glasses have came off.

The Major reason of moving to Oz was for a better lifestyle not sure if Oz will give us this now.(husband will be earning a lot less than the Uk) Can't talk to my family as i know they will just tell me not to go and i do want to go just so scared for the future!!!!!! Not sure if i feel like this as my house is nearly ready to go on the market and we have found a new home for our cat.

Our medicals are due soon which is more money, please someone tell me this is just natural, where has all the excitement gone.

Stacey
Old May 30th 2006, 2:35 pm
Living the dream!

crystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud ofcrystal113 has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Oh no cold feet!!!!!!

You wouldn't be human if you didn't have doubts!! The day we got the visa it was woops of joy and then the next minute I'm standing there balling going 'Oh my God this is really gonna happen'. I am not under the impression that the sun always shines (even though it nearly does) and that it's paradise all of the time but if we don't do it we'll never know - just give it your best shot that's all you can do!! Good Luck we've all been there.
Old May 30th 2006, 2:39 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Yep ... its natural !

You have officially reached the "eebie jeebies" stage
Old May 30th 2006, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

The Major reason of moving to Oz was for a better lifestyle not sure if Oz will give us this now.(husband will be earning a lot less than the Uk) Can't talk to my family as i know they will just tell me not to go and i do want to go just so scared for the future!!!!!! Not sure if i feel like this as my house is nearly ready to go on the market and we have found a new home for our cat.

Stacey
Hi Stacey

Just the same as you, our main reason for moving to Oz was for a better lifestyle & have also found out since that husband will be earning less. I work PT at the mo but will be a SAHM in Oz, so we are starting to worry about finances alittle. Our house is ready to go on the market this week & I think this is definately a stage that makes you question if you're doing the right thing. However, now we have this opportunity to go & are so close, I think we just need to go for it. If it doesn't work out we come back & will continue our lives knowing we gave it a go. If we don't we'll always wonder how things could've turned out.

Leigh
Old May 30th 2006, 3:00 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Stacey
Hi Stacey,
I feel exactly the same as you at the moment.
Our visa is due any day now and I'm not sure how I'm gonna feel when we get "the" phone call.
We have decided to rent our house out. I know we are not going to be able to take over as much money as we wanted, but at least we haven't cut all ties and can come back and still be on the property ladder.
Have you thought about doing the same?
I do feel a lot better now that we've decided to do this.
Good Luck to you both.
Julie. x
Old May 30th 2006, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

sion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud ofsion has much to be proud of

dont tell the missus but I have also been worrying a bit, It was all my idea 1st it was Tra then main application now I have just booked the meds, it all seems to be happening, but I will be giving up a good job With pension, 7 weeks holiday a year and share options, for what ?

Sunshine, adventure, life experiences. I just cant imagine carrying on the way I am at the moment it is so boring, so what if it all goes tits up at least I can look back and say "I tried" and not "i wish"

One day i am the first paragraph the next the second paragraph
most of the time (say 80%) i am the man who wants to say "I tried and it was bloody fantastic"

I am sure i will have more doubts in the future but I WILL be Going
Old May 30th 2006, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

georgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the rough

Like everyone has said, it's only natural to have doubts. However, having had experience living in another country, namely USA, there are certain stages you will go though being away from 'home'. The first of course is leaving family and friends (and my animals come into this category), although, if your family is anything like ours, sometimes a few thousand miles can be a blessing! The second is leaving behind your favourite things like the ability to make a decent cup of HOT, STRONG, black tea.... damn sweet iced tea. And of course there is good Sunday Roast. Then, here in South Georgia, there's the distinct lack of ability to be understood when speaking bloody good English, prime examples being "Water" (known as "Wadder" here) and of course asking for the good old Tomato. I even had a hairdresser ask how long I had lived in the States because "my english was soo goood"! I had only just told her I was here from England!

There are many more examples I could harp on about but at the end of the day, when the sun shines pretty much all year round, complete strangers say Hi to you in the supermarket and you can leave your car in a parking lot, unlocked, and expect to return to it in the same condition it was left in (ie with all four wheels), it's not too bad a life being abroad in the right place. You just remember that it is not the UK, it never will be and you cannot expect to get the UK just with better weather & a pool. There is no great love lost between the ozzies and the pommes so don't expect any big welcoming hugs. It is going to be a struggle and even five years on homesickness will kick your butt when you least expect it. But the point is it's your life, you only walk this path once so you have to make the most of it and it's such a feeling of achievement to make it in a completely new place. You will always be wondering what life would have been like if you don't make the jump and even if it does not work, it's a bloody good life experience and something to talk about down the pub on those many dreary, cold windy wet days....got the picture?!

Your family are only one day away and you get to spend quality time with them when they come to visit and you can be proud to show off what you've made of yourself in a new country.

Just go for it, what have you got to lose in the whole scheme of things...
Good Luck and put those cold feet on your significant other to warm them up, you're going to need each other more than ever in the next few months.

If you managed to get this far, sorry for the long post!
Old May 30th 2006, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

I always find this helps to put things in perspective - picture yourself in, say, two years time.
If you could be anywhere, doing anything, what would it be? How do you think you'd be feeling?
Then picture yourself in two years time, sitting at home in the UK, doing exactly what you are doing today, knowing that your chance of doing what you wanted has passed you by. How do you think you'd be feeling?

Old May 30th 2006, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

we all go through this me & my wife were arguing constantly about going not going we too have good jobs but we after reading threads from other people and not talking about it for a few days we have both decided it will be better to have tried than to live with the what if for the rst of our lives. go for it if you have been successful over here just think what life could be like if your successful over there good luckk
Old May 30th 2006, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

The Main reason of moving to Oz was for a better lifestyle not sure if Oz will give us this now.(husband will be earning a lot less than the Uk) Can't talk to my family as i know they will just tell me not to go and i do want to go just so scared for the future!!!!!! Not sure if i feel like this as my house is nearly ready to go on the market and we have found a new home for our cat.

Stacey
Hi Stacey

Is a big step and if reason you wanted to go still stand then you'll do fine, if you have major doubts then talk through with your other half and come to whatever you think is best for the both of you.

Good luck
Old May 30th 2006, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Hi Stacey

Is a big step and if reason you wanted to go still stand then you'll do fine, if you have major doubts then talk through with your other half and come to whatever you think is best for the both of you.

Good luck

Thankyou for all the advice and kind words. Me and the OH have talked and decided we are still going to follow our hearts and go to OZ, and if we find we are struggling financially then we will just come home. But both agreed if we don't try we will always think what if !!!!!! I just hope the eebie jeebie stage will pass soon and the excitement will return.

Many thanks again,

Stacey x
Old May 30th 2006, 8:53 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for all the advice and kind words. Me and the OH have talked and decided we are still going to follow our hearts and go to OZ, and if we find we are struggling financially then we will just come home. But both agreed if we don't try we will always think what if !!!!!! I just hope the eebie jeebie stage will pass soon and the excitement will return.

Many thanks again,

Stacey x
Theres more to life than money, I know it helps but thats why the UK is so status driven. If you don't like it in OZ you can always return. You won't know if you don't try it! Good luck
Old May 30th 2006, 9:22 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Awww, you were sooo excited
Can you imagine telling your children in 20 years that they could have been in Australia? I would have killed you!
My parents took me there aged 2 and didn't get me citizenship so I'm stuck here And believe you me - they regret it - I remind them daily
J x

Chin up chuck!! Sent karma if you have any room!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.