Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

oh no another bank question- yes i do know i'm a lazy cow!!

Wikiposts

oh no another bank question- yes i do know i'm a lazy cow!!

Old Feb 16th 2008, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of
Default Re: oh no another bank question- yes i do know i'm a lazy cow!!

Originally Posted by sunshine9599
hi

not only did i open our ac with anz with no probs i now work for them!!!!

had no trouble with ac and getting mortgage cc cards ect (before i started working there) pretty easy to deal with, god i sound like an advert but even if i didnt work for them would still recommend got loads of branches n atms (cause u pay when u use any other banks atm)

if your heading for mandurah wa i,m the only pom(scot) in the place come see me

all the best

xxxxx
Hey, I'm gonna be working in Mandurah (when I eventually get there) I may well open an account with you!
Old Feb 16th 2008, 9:34 am
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: oh no another bank question- yes i do know i'm a lazy cow!!

Originally Posted by sunshine9599
hi

not only did i open our ac with anz with no probs i now work for them!!!!

had no trouble with ac and getting mortgage cc cards ect (before i started working there) pretty easy to deal with, god i sound like an advert but even if i didnt work for them would still recommend got loads of branches n atms (cause u pay when u use any other banks atm)

if your heading for mandurah wa i,m the only pom(scot) in the place come see me

all the best

xxxxx

thanks for that
we are going to gold coast though
if we ever go to wa we will call and see you

jan xx
Old Feb 17th 2008, 2:43 am
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice
Default Opening a Bank West High Interest Account, ONLY when you get to Oz!!

http://www.abetterdeal.com.au/index.asp

What do you need handy to apply?

1. A printer - You may wish to print the Product Disclosure Statement and Interest Rate Schedule for your records. You may also choose to print your account authority.
2. An email address so they can confirm the completed process.
3. Details of an existing bank account you'd like to nominate as your Linked Account. It must be a personal account held at an Australian Bank (not a business account) and must be (1) in exactly the same name/s as the account you are about to open, or (2) if your new account is in a single name, in joint names, one of which must be exactly the same as your new account.
4. A recent bank statement from your Linked Account - no older than 6 months.
5. If you'd like to avoid withholding tax being deducted from your new account, you'll also need your tax file number.

To apply for the account they will need to know your name, residential address and, if different, your postal address. If the account is in joint names, they will also need the same details for the second account holder.
They will also ask you for your Tax File Number (TFN) so you don't have to pay withholding tax on your account.
They will ask for your phone number and email address so they can contact you if they need to check your details.

They will also need the details of your Linked Account, which must be a personal account held at an Australian Bank (not a business account) and in the same name as your new account.

Your Linked Account is the personal bank account you nominate to conduct your transactions through. Money in and Money out etc, so any OzForex payments must go, be directed into this transaction linked current account first, then you can go online and move your cash onto your Bank West Telenet saver account!

Your Linked Account must be in the same name as your Bank West TeleNet Saver and can not be a Term Deposit.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 1:25 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Opening a Westpac account over the phone.

Originally Posted by Sooty and Sweep
Opening a Westpac account over the phone.

http://www.westpac.com.au/internet/p.../PBTSET+Choice

+61 2 9293 9270

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452418

Here is how to open a Westpac account - and get online access from the UK, (without doing the identity check), even though they say you can't. You will still only be able to pay into the account though, not withdraw until you have been identified, either in Australia - or via the acceptable referee method below.

Opening the account:-

Phone Westpac on +61 2 9293 9270 and you can open an account over the phone. They will give you sort codes and account numbers there and then. Remember, if it is a joint account, you will both need to be present to speak to the Westpac operator. The account we opened was a Westpac One - this has one joint current account, one joint savings account and we also opened a joint Maxi savings account. Details of these accounts can be found on the Westpac website.

They will ask you which branch you want to collect your card etc from once in Australia.

They will tell you that you can only make payments into the account, and cannot withdraw until you have been identified by the bank. Identification is by turning up at your nominated branch once in Australia or London. They may also tell you that you cannot register for internet banking until you have been identified.

That's it - jobs done, you now have Westpac bank accounts that you can pay money into.

When you arrive in Australia and go to the bank with your passport etc, ( see Westpac site for documents required to confirm identity ), you will get your cards and the account will be fully active.

After you have phoned to set the account up, they will send you a pack in the post. Comes in about 10 days - this pack will include a form called, 'Identification by an acceptable referee'. This is a form that you can use if you desperately want to activate your account for withdrawals before you enter Australia. An acceptable referee in the UK is someone that has personally known you for over 12 months, and works for a bank, and has the authority to open international accounts. The form allows you to activate your account from the UK, allowing you to withdraw, as well as pay in money. So - unless you need to take money out, or pay Australian bills from the UK, you don't need to send any of the forms back. You can pay into your Westpac account by using the sort code, ( BSB code ), and account number that they gave you on the phone when you applied, and you can check your balance by telephone or internet banking from the UK - see below. You don't need to fully activate the account until you are in Australia. Or you can go to London?

Getting access to on-line banking:-

Once you have phoned and opened an account, give it a few days and phone them again, this time on the telephone banking number - 00 61 1300 655 505 - ask them to register you for telephone banking. They will ask you for one of your account numbers. They will then give you an 8 digit customer number and a 3 digit ID number. These are what you use when you call telephone banking to check that your payments have gone it.

Then, ask them for a temporary password for on-line banking.

If it is a joint account, you will both need to speak to the advisor as you will have different customer and ID numbers, and your own temporary password. Just ask the operator if you can pass the phone over to your partner.

Once you have your temporary password, you can go to Westpac online and click to 'log-in' to internet banking - ( do not click on register for on-line banking - go straight to log-in ), you will enter your 8 digit customer number and your temporary password. It will ask then you to chose a new password, along with a few other questions, you have access to your Westpac account on-line. Again, you should both do this if it is a joint account. You will both access the same account, but have your own unique log in number and password.

Once on-line, you can add all of your other on-line accounts to it, so you can see your whole financial situation at a glance from one access page.

Transferring money into your account:-

Sign up for a tranzfers account at www.tranzfers.com if you only want to deposit a small amount of money. They only charge £7.00 per transaction, however, they are part of Ozforex and you can only have one account with Ozforex, ( including your tranzfers account ), basically they will treat it as an Ozforex transfer.

I would suggest moving a small amount first, then waiting to check your Westpac account balance to make sure it arrives, before sending over any big money.
Make sure you open a Maxi savings account when you open the tranaction account with Westpac; so make sure you put all your funds in the Maxi savings account so to get the interest rate. Do not put any of your funds in your transaction account, as you will not be able to move the funds over to your Maxi savings account until you have validated the account. So you will stuck with a crap interest rate until you make the trip to London or fly out to OZ?

Then validate in the UK

Westpac's London switchboard: (020) 7621 7000

There is also an email address:
[email protected]

Postal address:
Migrant Banking, Level 2
63 St Mary Axe
London EC3A 8LE

Rates

http://www.westpac.com.au/internet/p...est+comparison

Then when you fly to OZ and open this, so then transfer your funds over asap!

BankWest TeleNet Saver 7.50%

http://www.abetterdeal.com.au/index.asp

Open when in OZ!

http://www.bankwest.com.au/Personal/...ply/index.aspx

Easy!

When in OZ, you can then open the BankWest TeleNet Saver 7.50%, good rate, but you cannot open it in the UK.
Hi Sooty and Sweep,

Great post. Thanks for the info.

A few of questions:

When you were setting up the on-line banking bit you said 'ask them for a temporary password for on-line banking' . Is this literally what you did or did you ask for a Choice eAccount ? Is the online banking you have the Choice eAccount ? Does this then mean you have 2 accounts: a Westpac One and a online account (Choice eAccount ?) ? and therefore were/are you paying two monthly fees or did you close your non internet account ?

Cheers,

Bryan