Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oh My God What Have I Done !!!!!

Wikiposts

Oh My God What Have I Done !!!!!

Old Mar 1st 2007, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all
Default Oh My God What Have I Done !!!!!

hi i'm new to all this
My wife and 2 sons (4 and 6) and I are hoping to fly out and start our new life in perth at the end of July
we have just had our police checks and medicals and are now just waiting on our visas to arrive.
why Perth?...well my wife's friend moved over 2 years ago and says that it is "nice" ....good enough reason as any!!!!!
i am a precision metal machinist (first class) and my wife is an accounts manager for an estate agent ...and my boys are at school
its just starting to hit home now and i am having to make the big decisions that i have been putting off!!!
what to do with the cats , how much stuff do we bring with us? do we rent or buy when we get there !!
luckily my wifes friend is going to put us up for a while so that should ease things a little...
both sets of our parents are getting old and frail now but if we dont do it now then we never will!!!
and we have our kids to put first now
i'm sure you will hear a hell of a lot more from me over the next few months
anyway write to you all soon
Ashley,Helen,Brandon & Cameron
Old Mar 1st 2007, 8:20 am
Banned

Southerncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to all
Default Re: Oh My God What Have I Done !!!!!

Originally Posted by JAMMIE DODGER
hi i'm new to all this
My wife and 2 sons (4 and 6) and I are hoping to fly out and start our new life in perth at the end of July
we have just had our police checks and medicals and are now just waiting on our visas to arrive.
why Perth?...well my wife's friend moved over 2 years ago and says that it is "nice" ....good enough reason as any!!!!!
i am a precision metal machinist (first class) and my wife is an accounts manager for an estate agent ...and my boys are at school
its just starting to hit home now and i am having to make the big decisions that i have been putting off!!!
what to do with the cats , how much stuff do we bring with us? do we rent or buy when we get there !!
luckily my wifes friend is going to put us up for a while so that should ease things a little...
both sets of our parents are getting old and frail now but if we dont do it now then we never will!!!
Good luck with your move. Perth is great place to grow up in, there is great weather, beautiful beaches and lots of parks. Some good pubs too.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 8:23 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

hi i'm new to all this

Right take a deep breath and count to ten.

Write down a list of what you are concerned about (everything I should imagine), and tackle one thing on your list at a time.

Might be an idea to do a search on here for each thing to find out peoples opinions.

With regards to your parents, talk to them about each stage and keep them informed (if you feel able to), make the most of the time you spend with them and hopefully you will be able to start your new life knowing your family are looking forward to hearing all about it.

Good luck.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

thanks for the replies i / we feel a bit better already ...telling our parents is going to be a major hurdle and probably one we should have tackled before now!!
we thought we'd wait until we were accepted first .
i like the idea of a list too
right......deep breath..........
Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: WAS, stourbridge w.mids NOW Waikiki, W.A.Hear almost 3 yrs.and still loving it.
ROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of light

hi i'm new to all this

hi ya,
u re not alone there.........scarry at times ..and then.............soooooo exciting

good luck with getting the visa.
we r in the same possition as u guys.

c.
x
Old Mar 1st 2007, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

denise6372 is just really nicedenise6372 is just really nicedenise6372 is just really nicedenise6372 is just really nicedenise6372 is just really nicedenise6372 is just really nicedenise6372 is just really nicedenise6372 is just really nice

thanks for the replies i / we feel a bit better already ...telling our parents is going to be a major hurdle and probably one we should have tackled before now!!
we thought we'd wait until we were accepted first .
i like the idea of a list too
right......deep breath..........
We're at the same stage as you and funnily enough only just told my inlaws. it was really hard and they are incredibly upset, even though they know and understand the reasons, they say that it doesn't make it any easier. However, despite all of that, the reaction was nowhere near as severe as I thought it would be and they do talk about it and I think thats the key. Keep talking!

Best of luck
Denise
x
Old Mar 1st 2007, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Janet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud ofJanet Rutledge has much to be proud of

Hi to all

Just been granted our visas and although we have told my Mum our plans, I am dreading telling her that it is actually real now and we will be going in August to Brisbane. She has resigned herself to us going but it still doesnt make it any easier.

I hope she will be happy for us and be jumping on a plane quick as a flash. Fingers crossed. It is so hard to tell people but you only get one chance at life and you have to grab it if you get the chance and that is what we are doing to hopefully give our children a better future than the one they have here.

Good luck to all those waiting on their visas. To get that call is fantastic and it is all go from now on.

Janet
Old Mar 1st 2007, 11:11 pm
AVW
BE Enthusiast

AVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud of

Hi Janet,

Dont worry about telling your Mum see it like this: at least you still have each other even though it is the other side of the world. Remind your self of that.
We are waiting for our visas to come through any time my mum was coming with us , infact she was the driving force behind our decision she loved Australia and couldnt think of a better place for her grandchildren to be brought up. Unfortunately she died VERY suddenly a few months ago of a DVT. We are still going to live our dream and what was hers.
I know it will be hard to leave your mum but remember you still have her that is something that is very precious.
I would love to be able to just pick up the phone and talk to mine. So although your the otherside of the world you can still have a great relationship.
Good Luck
Anne
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: WAS, stourbridge w.mids NOW Waikiki, W.A.Hear almost 3 yrs.and still loving it.
ROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of lightROLLIE is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Janet Rutledge
Hi to all

Just been granted our visas and although we have told my Mum our plans, I am dreading telling her that it is actually real now and we will be going in August to Brisbane. She has resigned herself to us going but it still doesnt make it any easier.

I hope she will be happy for us and be jumping on a plane quick as a flash. Fingers crossed. It is so hard to tell people but you only get one chance at life and you have to grab it if you get the chance and that is what we are doing to hopefully give our children a better future than the one they have here.

Good luck to all those waiting on their visas. To get that call is fantastic and it is all go from now on.

Janet

firstly congrats on visa and SNAP, we too got ours today.

same story for us.(re; mum, and not wanting us to go, etc.)

cant think when or how to tell her.

c.
x
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 9:59 am
AVW
BE Enthusiast

AVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud of

Rollie,

If you beleave you are doing right thing.... go for it.

Horrible situ but ......

shit had too much wine

Good luck and sure you will get loads of support on BE.

Anne
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 10:18 am
AVW
BE Enthusiast

I know , i must be a total idiot... but could someone tell me why and how you get stars and a squares... (next to name) know stupid woman but as this is a kinda help / advice site . Someone please tell me. I know probadly obviously answer . Kids and hubby will be mortified but however want answer for when they ask me.

Anne
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 10:28 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AVW
I know , i must be a total idiot... but could someone tell me why and how you get stars and a squares... (next to name) know stupid woman but as this is a kinda help / advice site . Someone please tell me. I know probadly obviously answer . Kids and hubby will be mortified but however want answer for when they ask me.

Anne
The squares are karma. I have sent you some. Look in "My profile" at the top of the page.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 10:31 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

hi i'm new to all this
Hiya,
We had a Dorset meet a few weeks ago which was really good.
It would be nice to see you at the next one.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kapri
Hiya,
We had a Dorset meet a few weeks ago which was really good.
It would be nice to see you at the next one.
that sounds like a great idea lust let us know when and where

but going back to the "telling the parents" subject

both of our parents are divorced and living on their own so we have to do it 4 times

well yesterday in turn i told my mum then later in the day i told my dad and i was pleasantly surprised to their reaction .
my mum was really quite excited for us and my dad grumbled and pointed out all the bad points of living in OZ but eventually said that he was 100% behind us if thats what we wanted to do

they both went to OZ TWICE as £10 poms but returned after 6 months both times .so i think that they think we will last about the same !!!

however we have yet to tell my wifes parents .....we are going to go for the "we have only applied but havent been accepted yet" route

hopefully this will cushion the blow when we do actually receive our visa and have a leaving date!!!

thanks for all your advice
Ash,Hel & boys
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Hi there, it is always a hard subject to overcome but once you have told everybody, you can start to mention it more and more to them so that they will hopefully come round to the idea a give you some positive vibes. You have to do what you feel is right for your family and your future. Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.