Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oh Bu*ger it!!!!

Oh Bu*ger it!!!!

Old May 21st 2006, 12:09 am
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oh Bu*ger it!!!!

Hi,
This is a follow on from a previous thread ...http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...56#post3540056.

Ok, I thought I'd made my decision but I'm not so sure anymore. Hubby is the voice of reason and keeps mentioning how much it costs and the fact that it's more than the kids will cost. Don't get me wrong - -he loves the cat too, but it is alot of wonga!

I want to bring Jeff (my cat) BUT do I spend all that money (and lets face it, it is alot!), put him throught the flight and quarantine (He's only 18 months old and very laid-back, so I'm not overly worried about that aspect) and then introduce him to an environment that is very different and perhaps dangerous for him?

I think he'd love it (coz I know him) but would Oz love him?

I really need to hear from people that have been through this already.

Whilst I appreciate all that take the time to reply.....I cannot base my decision on peoples opinions on whether I should bring him or not.

Therefore I really need to hear from those who have actually done it.....GOOD OR BAD.

BTW we are going to Adelaide and hope to settle in the Hills areas.

Please take the time to reply because this aspect of the move is really getting to me, on top of everything else that needs sorting.

I have no nails!!!!

I am a snivvling wreck :scared:

Thanks in advance

xRachx
Old May 21st 2006, 12:22 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oh Bu*ger it!!!!

With all due respect, it looks like you have re-started a thread on exactly the same subject where previously there were 39 posts of advice i.e take him / don't take him /you decide. What exactly do you want to hear?

The reality is Rach that YOU have to decide. No one can do this for you. Everyone has a different viewpoint and there is no right no wrong. It's what's best for you and you have to live with the decision whatever that is. Either option is acceptable. You keep mentioning costs, so if you don't want to spend the money, then leave him. It's your choice

Personally speaking we brought our dog. It was much more expensive than a cat too! The decision maker for me was her age. She was still young so our view was the cost over the next few years would be immaterial. Besides, to us, the dog was for life and it wasn't her fault we decided to move. Having said all that, this could be seen as an emotive decision, and realistically had we re-homed her with a nice family then that would have been OK too. I guess I couldn't do it as I would have felt guilty so instead was prepared to shell out and sacrifice other things. So ...in essence it's all about choice Rachel. No simple answer I'm afraid

Good luck with your decision and I'm sure you'll do what's best
Old May 21st 2006, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladywithatorch
Hi,
This is a follow on from a previous thread ...http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...56#post3540056.

Ok, I thought I'd made my decision but I'm not so sure anymore. Hubby is the voice of reason and keeps mentioning how much it costs and the fact that it's more than the kids will cost. Don't get me wrong - -he loves the cat too, but it is alot of wonga!

I want to bring Jeff (my cat) BUT do I spend all that money (and lets face it, it is alot!), put him throught the flight and quarantine (He's only 18 months old and very laid-back, so I'm not overly worried about that aspect) and then introduce him to an environment that is very different and perhaps dangerous for him?

Whilst I appreciate all that take the time to reply.....I cannot base my decision on peoples opinions on whether I should bring him or not.

Therefore I really need to hear from those who have actually done it.....GOOD OR BAD.

Please take the time to reply because this aspect of the move is really getting to me, on top of everything else that needs sorting.

I have no nails!!!!

Thanks in advance

xRachx
OK - well I didn't do it and I regret it - simple as that. It would have cost too much - and all the other sh*t you mentioned - but if I could turn the clock back now? Yes I would have brought the cat with me - I miss her so much. I have a photograph of her next to my computer and I look at it and miss her every day.

So there you go.
Old May 21st 2006, 12:40 am

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
With all due respect, it looks like you have re-started a thread on exactly the same subject where previously there were 39 posts of advice i.e take him / don't take him /you decide. What exactly do you want to hear?

The reality is Rach that YOU have to decide. No one can do this for you. Everyone has a different viewpoint and there is no right no wrong. It's what's best for you and you have to live with the decision whatever that is. Either option is acceptable. You keep mentioning costs, so if you don't want to spend the money, then leave him. It's your choice

Personally speaking we brought our dog. It was much more expensive than a cat too! The decision maker for me was her age. She was still young so our view was the cost over the next few years would be immaterial. Besides, to us, the dog was for life and it wasn't her fault we decided to move. Having said all that, this could be seen as an emotive decision, and realistically had we re-homed her with a nice family then that would have been OK too. I guess I couldn't do it as I would have felt guilty so instead was prepared to shell out and sacrifice other things. So ...in essence it's all about choice Rachel. No simple answer I'm afraid

Good luck with your decision and I'm sure you'll do what's best
I agree with what your saying to a degree- -i wish in a way that the cat was older then the decision would be easier.

However, with regards to the other thread...lots of peoples opinions but not too many actual experiences.

Dogs seem easier as far as i can see....they are considered more worthy from what I can gather. Cats, on the other hand, are not so easily accepted - - hence the asking for advice from people who have done the cats thing.

I appreciate anyone taking the time to answer but in order for me to truly make a decision I've stayed up to see what others think who have taken their cats.

Good experiences or bad I would be grateful of the replies.
I am not after anyone to make my decision for me.

The cost is merely a factor when you weigh it up with whether or not the cat in question is going to have a good life...and that is my main concern.

thankyou for taking the time to reply.

xRachx
Old May 21st 2006, 12:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sasbear
OK - well I didn't do it and I regret it - simple as that. It would have cost too much - and all the other sh*t you mentioned - but if I could turn the clock back now? Yes I would have brought the cat with me - I miss her so much. I have a photograph of her next to my computer and I look at it and miss her every day.

So there you go.
I'm sorry to hear that sara

You did what was best at the time, so don't feel guilty. Besides, your puddy tat is probably having a ball and is being looked after well, in line with your arrangements.....

Chin up girl

Last edited by phoenixinoz; May 21st 2006 at 12:46 am. Reason: Just re-read and re-wrote it as it didn't sound like it was intened .....
Old May 21st 2006, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by sasbear

So there you go.
Thank you sasbear,

Have just read your other post too!!!(good post)

Jeff is a dude!!!!!

He is worth the money - -just want him to be happy once there.

xRachx
Old May 21st 2006, 12:44 am
Account Closed

I agree with what your saying to a degree- -i wish in a way that the cat was older then the decision would be easier.

However, with regards to the other thread...lots of peoples opinions but not too many actual experiences.

Dogs seem easier as far as i can see....they are considered more worthy from what I can gather. Cats, on the other hand, are not so easily accepted - - hence the asking for advice from people who have done the cats thing.

I appreciate anyone taking the time to answer but in order for me to truly make a decision I've stayed up to see what others think who have taken their cats.

Good experiences or bad I would be grateful of the replies.
I am not after anyone to make my decision for me.

The cost is merely a factor when you weigh it up with whether or not the cat in question is going to have a good life...and that is my main concern.

thankyou for taking the time to reply.

xRachx
Rach, I've read the original thread and there are many replies from people who took their cats, explaining how their cats have fit in no probs etc. At the end of the day, cats and dogs settle in extremely well once transported to Aus.

So it's back to the old chestnut of whether you want to do it or not.

There really isn't an easy answer Rach. You have to make this decision yourself I'm afraid
Old May 21st 2006, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Rach, I've read the original thread and there are many replies from people who took their cats, explaining how their cats have fit in no probs etc. At the end of the day, cats and dogs settle in extremely well once transported to Aus.

So it's back to the old chestnut of whether you want to do it or not.

There really isn't an easy answer Rach. You have to make this decision yourself I'm afraid

I know!!!! and thats the bugger- - -want someone to make it easy for me!!!

I need to hear from those lovely fluffy peeps who have made their cats lives better by taking them

But the bast*rds arn't aNSWERING.

Every one else gets answers!!!! Isn't my jeff good enough!

xRachx
Old May 21st 2006, 1:01 am

I need to hear from those lovely fluffy peeps who have made their cats lives better by taking them

xRachx
P.S

thanks for answering - - you must know jeff
Old May 21st 2006, 1:23 am
Account Closed

xRachx
There's only so many times people can tell you though Rach and at the end of the day, a decision needs to be made and you have to make it.

It's Sunday here and everyone is probably out enjoying the sun

[I'm in cos I've taken a break from gardening.....otherwise we'd be out too ]

Good luck m8...this aint an easy one is it
Old May 21st 2006, 1:41 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Actually Im not going to sit on the fence on this one. You got a pet and with that comes the responsibilities of looking after it for life.

Your cat will want to be with you, its all he/she has known since the a few weeks old. Pets become members of the family and there is no way that I would not have brought my pets with me. Sure - it was bloody expensive, a pain in the neck but the process of doing it was straight forward and Max is now happily aclimatised and enjoying life in the sun.

I think too many people base the decision to bring a cat or dog with them on purely financial merits and saving a few quid. Although this is a huge consideration for some, for others it simply means the difference between leather seats in the new car or not.

Each case - of course - has to be based on its own merits and I would not dare judge anyone on what they decided. Best of luck to you whatever you do!
Old May 21st 2006, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by Centurion
Actually Im not going to sit on the fence on this one. You got a pet and with that comes the responsibilities of looking after it for life.

Your cat will want to be with you, its all he/she has known since the a few weeks old. Pets become members of the family and there is no way that I would not have brought my pets with me. Sure - it was bloody expensive, a pain in the neck but the process of doing it was straight forward and Max is now happily aclimatised and enjoying life in the sun.

I think too many people base the decision to bring a cat or dog with them on purely financial merits and saving a few quid. Although this is a huge consideration for some, for others it simply means the difference between leather seats in the new car or not.

Each case - of course - has to be based on its own merits and I would not dare judge anyone on what they decided. Best of luck to you whatever you do!
Bless you for that - - but is Max a cat?

xRachx
Old May 21st 2006, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

coffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud of

we had 2 cats and were going to take them ( papaerwork all done etc )

However - the one was 13 and not in best of health and didnt even travel well 1 mile in the car to the vets. -The vet told me i was being selfish and the cat wouldnt travel well and could end up being ill or dying on the way - so after hours of upset we deided to rehome her with friends- she has been there 2 weeks and is fine no reaction to me when i went to visit.

My second cat is the cutest nosey cat in the world who is 2 and after many sleepless nights i decided not to take her as i feel we were endangering her - she only sees a carrier bag and has to get in it so with the wildlife that could hurt her well............ again i decided to rehome her in the uk and she went last week and is fine.

I am not saying either descision was easy - far from it & there have been tears and more tears but deep down i feel i have done right by both of them - maybe i will regret it but for now i do feel it was right. I have been lucky to find people i know to have them and i can keep in touch.

Actually giving them to someone else was one of the hardest things i have had to do ever but i now wonder if sometimes we like to beleive animals think more of us than they really do.? ( maybe it suits me to think that at the moment)

Good luck with making your mind up - i know exactly whay you are feeling but the sooner you decide the better you will feel and then just get on with it ..... hope this helps x
Old May 21st 2006, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough

We brought our cat over with us Sept 04, she was 11 (human years) in good health and took the flight and quarantine in her stride, the cost; 1,300 pounds
we felt was worth it, after all she was our 'Puss' and settling in over here would'nt be complete without her.

Due to all the hassles of settleing in Bribane and getting work etc, etc, we left 'Puss' with my FIL down in NSW, good sized safe property to wander and good company and plenty of attention every day.

Well as time passed we eventually bought our house up here on the North side of Brisbane, 2.5 acres and plenty of room for 'Puss' to roam, we had a cat flap put in on the laundry door and made plans to drive down to NSW and bring her home, we felt the family would be at the end of it's long haul and reunited. Two weeks before leaving to get her, we had the call from my FIL that he found 'Puss' dead that morning, as if she had just died in her sleep, she had been with my FIL for just over a year and had an excelent retirement.

We both kinda had a feeling that it was as if she was part of our past life and was never ment to join us here - strange I know, but if we could turn back the clock we would most definately have still brought her.

One week after she died we went down the RSPCA and got another cat who loves the laundry door and her best pal ---- the dog.
Attached Thumbnails Oh Bu*ger it!!!!-best-pals.jpg  
Old May 21st 2006, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

I have no nails!!!!

Thanks in advance

xRachx
I don't have a cat or a dog, but from other threads I have read people count their cats/dogs as thier chilldren. So there 4 if you have to ask the question ...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.