Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Offshore bank accounts - how do we go about this?

Offshore bank accounts - how do we go about this?

Old May 24th 2003, 1:22 pm
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Offshore bank accounts - how do we go about this?

Guys

Looking into opening an off-shore bank account, believe that we'll have to do this before we leave ole blighty.

Any good ideas/banks/is it worth it/timelines/costs/what are the benefits?

Should be in Perth mid-august.

Cheers

Pookin
Old May 24th 2003, 2:01 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Offshore bank accounts - how do we go about this?

There's not a lot of point in my view, unless you want to be evading taxes in Australia illegally ... once you are tax resident in Australia your worldwide income is assessable there, even if you retain the income outside Oz.

Best regards.

Originally posted by Pookin
Guys

Looking into opening an off-shore bank account, believe that we'll have to do this before we leave ole blighty.

Cheers

Pookin
Old May 24th 2003, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

sgtPommie is an unknown quantity at this point

I still think the offshor account is worthwhile. It is a very easy way to pay bills that you wish to continue paying in the uk and transferring money to and fro.

We are going to Ireland for 6 months before heading off to Australia so it is very useful for us.

I am going with HSBC as they product looks so easy (it may not be the best interest rate available but the flexibility looks good).

Another advantage is to keep your money in sterling until exchange rates are favourable and then transfer it all into Aussie dollars into a HSBC savings account.

Ultimately when in OZ I will probably have a local bank but keep the offshore account for uk bill payments and any transfers.
Old May 24th 2003, 2:25 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure what you achieve by going down this route that can't be achieved by retaining an onshore bank account.

Indeed, some of the UK banks and building societies will allow interest to be paid gross once you have lodged a form R105:
http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/pdfs/r105.pdf

Best regards.

Originally posted by sgtPommie
I still think the offshor account is worthwhile. It is a very easy way to pay bills that you wish to continue paying in the uk and transferring money to and fro.

We are going to Ireland for 6 months before heading off to Australia so it is very useful for us.

I am going with HSBC as they product looks so easy (it may not be the best interest rate available but the flexibility looks good).

Another advantage is to keep your money in sterling until exchange rates are favourable and then transfer it all into Aussie dollars into a HSBC savings account.

Ultimately when in OZ I will probably have a local bank but keep the offshore account for uk bill payments and any transfers.
Old May 24th 2003, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Alan Collett
I'm not sure what you achieve by going down this route that can't be achieved by retaining an onshore bank account.

Indeed, some of the UK banks and building societies will allow interest to be paid gross once you have lodged a form R105:
http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/pdfs/r105.pdf

Best regards.
Ability to switch the currency mainly... when the exchange rate is more favourable... and wherever u live no forms to fill in to get gross interest....
Old May 24th 2003, 2:40 pm
Keelie

This is a relatively simple procedure. Go to your bank manager, tell him that you want to transfer funds off-shore, and ask for a letter of reference.
Your manager should confirm that he knows you personally and will vouch for your good character. The manager in your off-shore bank will probably want to interview you personally....but maybe not..if your home bank manager gives you a good rating. However, it's always a good idea to go out and personally see where your money is going. and whether you have confidence in that particular 'Tax Haven'
Putting money off-shore is not illegal, and can be an excellent means of protecting
hard-earned savings. You will still have to pay world-wide taxes once you become an Aussie citizen, but off-shore accounts can be very convenient when one is 'between countries'.

Originally posted by Pookin
Guys

Cheers

Pookin

Old May 24th 2003, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Keelie
This is a relatively simple procedure. Go to your bank manager, tell him that you want to transfer funds off-shore, and ask for a letter of reference.
Your manager should confirm that he knows you personally and will vouch for your good character. The manager in your off-shore bank will probably want to interview you personally....but maybe not..if your home bank manager gives you a good rating. However, it's always a good idea to go out and personally see where your money is going. and whether you have confidence in that particular 'Tax Haven'
Putting money off-shore is not illegal, and can be an excellent means of protecting
hard-earned savings. You will still have to pay world-wide taxes once you become an Aussie citizen, but off-shore accounts can be very convenient when one is 'between countries'.
This all sounds a liitle bit archaic... With HSBC I just downloaded a PDF application form... filled it in... and sent it off...

They wanted copies of last 3 months banking statements and certified copies of my passport.

Steve
Old May 24th 2003, 4:00 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

For those who want the BEST or better rate of interest I was advised that Isle of Man Co-op was good
Old May 24th 2003, 4:04 pm
Badge

Originally posted by yafm
For those who want the BEST or better rate of interest I was advised that Isle of Man Co-op was good
well i used one for aussie dollars

i stuck aussie dollars in an offshore account in 2001...to buy dollars at the then good rate...(at the time) for use later on

just a form fill...(TSB) but I am TSB customer...

steve

Old May 24th 2003, 9:54 pm
Keelie

The ease with which you were able to make your transaction does make my experience sound 'archaic'.
It would seem that some 'Havens" have more stringent requirements than others.
Although if you are willing to simply transfer funds from your home bank to a branch in a haven, it will be a straight transaction...no fuss no muss.

However, if privacy is important to you, and you don't wish to involve your home bank you'll have to satisfy the haven manager that your funds are not ill-gotten, and above-board. This has been my experience anyway.

Originally posted by sgtPommie
This all sounds a liitle bit archaic... With HSBC I just downloaded a PDF application form... filled it in... and sent it off...

They wanted copies of last 3 months banking statements and certified copies of my passport.

Steve

Old May 25th 2003, 7:38 am
Just Joined

The ease with which you were able to make your transaction does make my experience sound 'archaic'.
Although if you are willing to simply transfer funds from your home bank to a branch in a haven, it will be a straight transaction...no fuss no muss.

However, if privacy is important to you, and you don't wish to involve your home bank you'll have to satisfy the haven manager that your funds are not ill-gotten, and above-board. This has been my experience anyway.

Always willing to assist traversal into the 21st century
Old May 25th 2003, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Always willing to assist traversal into the 21st century