Reload this Page >

The OFFICIAL what I don't like about Oz thread

The OFFICIAL what I don't like about Oz thread

Old Oct 21st 2006, 7:00 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The OFFICIAL what I don't like about Oz thread

Originally Posted by arkon
Who knows what the future will hold. If he should come here when he is older I will obviously be older too probably by another 20 years. Maybe by then I will be ready to live in an open top coffin. As for the oath you need to take I can't see anything in it that I'm not willing to say. I pay taxes here, I keep people in work here, I provide a service here, I've added to the population here. Nowhere does it say you have to like a country to be a citizen of it.

Some peoples short sighted and narrow views on here is stunning (not you ipom). The ignorance of people that think it's ok to have a different citizenship status from my son just because I hate it here. Half the population of the UK don't like the current govenment or aspects of the country, should they all be cast out and have their citizenship revoked just becaust they don't like aspects of the country they live in??
Seems fair enough to me. A heck of a lot of people also pledge that pledge without one thought as to whether it's what they truly believe, I am sure. I wonder if a lot of Australians believe that stuff too, or whether because they're already Austrailan, they don't have to ever think about saying it themselves because they're already here? And what about people who are so desparate for a different life, they'd say anything?

Can one revoke one's citizenship if one doesn't like a country? I have no idea.

I hope if he does come and live here, Arkon, he lives in a spot you'd like. The Blue Mountains are nice.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 7:14 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
So if you can't find someone to buy the farm you will be living in Oz for the rest of your life.
Well I'm not too proud to be able to bow to your superior intellect. Maybe you could enlighten me as to what I should do then?
Old Oct 21st 2006, 7:18 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Seems fair enough to me. A heck of a lot of people also pledge that pledge without one thought as to whether it's what they truly believe, I am sure. I wonder if a lot of Australians believe that stuff too, or whether because they're already Austrailan, they don't have to ever think about saying it themselves because they're already here? And what about people who are so desparate for a different life, they'd say anything?

Can one revoke one's citizenship if one doesn't like a country? I have no idea.

I hope if he does come and live here, Arkon, he lives in a spot you'd like. The Blue Mountains are nice.
True, and how many people born here and so are citizens have actually sworn that oath? Seems to me it's only the people who take part in the citizenship performance that have truely made any commitment to the place and it's values. My boy who is born here need never swear alligence to the place yet he has more rights than me. Hopfully if he does choose to live here it will be one of the cities down south. (not sydney).
Old Oct 21st 2006, 7:22 am
Account Closed

Well I'm not too proud to be able to bow to your superior intellect. Maybe you could enlighten me as to what I should do then?

I'm pretty sure you must have looked at every alternative under the sun to work out what to do.... I think we discussed this before. I'd be looking at alternative use for the land other than farming it, if it were me... Options I guess I'd look at would be holiday accomodation- exclusive accom on your farm, campground or cabins, or caravaning, stabling for horses, good quality dog and cat holiday accomodation (sadly lacking imo), zoning land for building, 'working farm tour' for kids perhaps,, but of course, that takes money to set up and I wouldn't like to bet on the red tape being a breeze either....
You need a good marketing/business bod to help you Arkon, but you've prob done that too.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 7:46 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

There are cyclists in the UK too... more and more of the buggers hogging the roads who seem unable to ride in single or double file. Driving round the roads in Bucks, it was a miracle I didn't kill a whole pod of the sods.

Why are so many people finding it dull? I'm having a blast... doing lots of stuff... Why so dull for you K?
Now c'mon! Up there in 't Blue Mountains you'll drive round most bends and find half a dozen motorbikes screaming along the wrong side of the road, lights blazing and they'll do your car REAL damage!
Old Oct 21st 2006, 7:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wol
Now c'mon! Up there in 't Blue Mountains you'll drive round most bends and find half a dozen motorbikes screaming along the wrong side of the road, lights blazing and they'll do your car REAL damage!
Really? I've been here 6 months and only seen two lots of bikers and they seemed to be on their side of the road.
Maybe you're thinking of another Blue Mountains?
Old Oct 21st 2006, 8:01 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Lower the price you're selling it for
Old Oct 21st 2006, 8:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BAY
Lower the price you're selling it for

He already did that.
I'd buy it but I think he wants more than $400K for it.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 8:07 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

He already did that.
I'd buy it but I think he wants more than $400K for it.
He obviously hasn't lowered it enough.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 8:12 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

I'm pretty sure you must have looked at every alternative under the sun to work out what to do.... I think we discussed this before. I'd be looking at alternative use for the land other than farming it, if it were me... Options I guess I'd look at would be holiday accomodation- exclusive accom on your farm, campground or cabins, or caravaning, stabling for horses, good quality dog and cat holiday accomodation (sadly lacking imo), zoning land for building, 'working farm tour' for kids perhaps,, but of course, that takes money to set up and I wouldn't like to bet on the red tape being a breeze either....
You need a good marketing/business bod to help you Arkon, but you've prob done that too.
What about an Alpaca farm
Old Oct 21st 2006, 8:24 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by BAY
He obviously hasn't lowered it enough.
It's lowered plenty. I'd say losing $160k is enough wouldn't you? In my area to get it to sell I'd have to lower it another 300k. So as I'm not ready to burn the equiv of £160,000 I'm stuck here. How many of you out there would really set fire to that kind of money? I might be mad but I'm not insane yet.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 8:37 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

It's lowered plenty. I'd say losing $160k is enough wouldn't you? In my area to get it to sell I'd have to lower it another 300k. So as I'm not ready to burn the equiv of £160,000 I'm stuck here. How many of you out there would really set fire to that kind of money? I might be mad but I'm not insane yet.
Thats a hell of a price crash. How come its dropped in value so much ?
Old Oct 21st 2006, 8:37 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hubbard
Really, really hate the house buying process (auction process). Basically if you think the UK system sucks if you are a seller apply that same crapness and lack of control to being a buyer over here (SYDNEY). We are at present looking to buy and the area we are looking in 99% of properties sell at auction and the auction completion rate is very high.

So as a buyer you get herded round open homes with lots of other people, you then ask the price and are told an approximation give or take $50,000K, so basically no official price of what the seller wants, then if you do like it you have a building survey done and get a solicitor to look at the contract, still without knowing the price of the property. You lay out $400 getting the survey done, go to the auction, and you have a budget of $850k and the property goes for $880K so you are $400 out of pocket and have to do the same all over again. Not to mention potential 'fake bids' to push the price up (yes it's illegal but it happens) and not to mention the 'vendor bid' ??? Put a price on your house don't bid on it yourself.

It sucks give me a vendor who will name there price as in the UK, don't care that it takes 4 months to complete as opposed to 6 weeks at least i'd have a ghost of a chance buying something. Here it is so unbelievable crap for buyers.

I like most other things though but this process is a rip off to buyers.
Good to know we're not the only ones suffering from this process. It's not just the money you waste - it's time too, going to view houses that are on Domain with no price specified but have been placed by the estate agent in the max XX category. You get there, and straight away realise that no way is the house for sale at a price you can afford. What are they hoping - that'll you go and see a house because it's apparently around the XX mark, go to auction, get outbid at the XX mark and decide - STUFF IT! I'm going to blow all my savings and long-term salary, I have to have this house.

Obviously some people do this, otherwise there would be no point to the stupid practice.

Apart from real estate agents, I dislike banks who are prepared to offer you home loans way beyond your means. Okay, our salaries could cover a $1.25 million home loan, but we'd starve. And last time I looked, coffins weren't that expensive.

Apart from those, things I dislike about Australia - nothing specifically, it's just a general thing. Or rather, I don't dislike it. But I don't really like it either. I'm working on it though.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

christinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond repute

True, and how many people born here and so are citizens have actually sworn that oath? Seems to me it's only the people who take part in the citizenship performance that have truely made any commitment to the place and it's values. My boy who is born here need never swear alligence to the place yet he has more rights than me. Hopfully if he does choose to live here it will be one of the cities down south. (not sydney).
Arkon I have never said the oath, because surprise surprise, Im Australian born and bred. If I was asked to say it I wouldnt hesitate, in fact, Id have it tattooed on my backside if I had too ( yes its big enough to fit all those words lol ) I love my country and everything it stands for but thats not to say I expect everyone else to adhere to my beliefs as I am the first to admit we arent perfect. I actually feel very sorry for you as I would hate to feel so trapped in a place I was unhappy in. However, the thing that really bugs me with you is your ability to blame Australia for your own mistakes. You have repeatedly said in various posts you dont like it here because its so far away... well you bought the plane ticket to get here originally.. you saw how much it was to come here... I would hazard a guess that you've seen us on a map so you would realise we are at the other side of the world. So why do u moan about it ? You have also commented on this thread and on others in the past about the heat, the flies and the mozzies. Arkon we have had these things for over 200 years now. What made you think they wouldnt be here when you got here ? And then theres your property. I have no idea whereabouts in NSW you are, or how long ago you bought it, but do you not think that selling a rural property in the middle of one of the worst droughts we have had is going to be difficult ? My point is Australia didnt twist your arm and make you come here... we didnt pack up and move the country another 10000 miles away just to piss you off... and we didnt turn on the sun, the flys and the mozzies because we saw you coming. These are all things you should have known before you got here, so you need to take the responsibility for your actions.

Arkon I dont want to argue with you, but, you have to look at things from my point of view too. Like I said, I am Australian and I am very proud so naturally it makes me very angry when I read your posts knocking everything about us. Then when you turn around and say you want to be a citizen it makes my blood boil. Maybe Im different to everyone else, because I wouldnt even consider becoming a citizen of another country if I didnt feel some sort of pride in it. My advice to you Arkon, and I mean this in a sincere way and am no way being nasty, is , instead of getting up each morning and looking for the negatives, try looking for the positives. Set yourself a goal each day to find 5 good things about the place and I dont say that to make u like Oz, I say that to try and make your obviously sad life a bit happier. Just remember everything detrimental you say to me about Oz, is just like saying it to your son... as whether you like it or not, he is Australian too. Look at him running barefoot on the grass with the sun shining on his face smiling and laughing, because you know what ? At the end of the day thats all that matters. It doesnt matter whether its Oz or the Uk, thats the most important thing in life.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 9:34 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christinabell
Arkon I have never said the oath, because surprise surprise, Im Australian born and bred. If I was asked to say it I wouldnt hesitate, in fact, Id have it tattooed on my backside if I had too ( yes its big enough to fit all those words lol ) I love my country and everything it stands for but thats not to say I expect everyone else to adhere to my beliefs as I am the first to admit we arent perfect. I actually feel very sorry for you as I would hate to feel so trapped in a place I was unhappy in. However, the thing that really bugs me with you is your ability to blame Australia for your own mistakes. You have repeatedly said in various posts you dont like it here because its so far away... well you bought the plane ticket to get here originally.. you saw how much it was to come here... I would hazard a guess that you've seen us on a map so you would realise we are at the other side of the world. So why do u moan about it ? You have also commented on this thread and on others in the past about the heat, the flies and the mozzies. Arkon we have had these things for over 200 years now. What made you think they wouldnt be here when you got here ? And then theres your property. I have no idea whereabouts in NSW you are, or how long ago you bought it, but do you not think that selling a rural property in the middle of one of the worst droughts we have had is going to be difficult ? My point is Australia didnt twist your arm and make you come here... we didnt pack up and move the country another 10000 miles away just to piss you off... and we didnt turn on the sun, the flys and the mozzies because we saw you coming. These are all things you should have known before you got here, so you need to take the responsibility for your actions.

Arkon I dont want to argue with you, but, you have to look at things from my point of view too. Like I said, I am Australian and I am very proud so naturally it makes me very angry when I read your posts knocking everything about us. Then when you turn around and say you want to be a citizen it makes my blood boil. Maybe Im different to everyone else, because I wouldnt even consider becoming a citizen of another country if I didnt feel some sort of pride in it. My advice to you Arkon, and I mean this in a sincere way and am no way being nasty, is , instead of getting up each morning and looking for the negatives, try looking for the positives. Set yourself a goal each day to find 5 good things about the place and I dont say that to make u like Oz, I say that to try and make your obviously sad life a bit happier. Just remember everything detrimental you say to me about Oz, is just like saying it to your son... as whether you like it or not, he is Australian too. Look at him running barefoot on the grass with the sun shining on his face smiling and laughing, because you know what ? At the end of the day thats all that matters. It doesnt matter whether its Oz or the Uk, thats the most important thing in life.
one of the best posts I have seen in ages, karma on way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.