Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The OFFICIAL what I don't like about Oz thread

The OFFICIAL what I don't like about Oz thread

Old Oct 28th 2006, 6:59 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The OFFICIAL what I don't like about Oz thread

Originally Posted by Tabbles
Well, that was an interesting response. I'm not sure who people think I am, but I'm not. And people seem to have misunderstood me. Some days I really love living in Australia, but there are days when I'm pretty homesick. I dare say that its the same for a lot of other people. The fact remains that there are things about this place, (Perth in particular) that sometimes drive me nuts.

When I found this thread, I just thought it would be nice if someone had created a little corner of the web where on the days its a bit hard, you could have a rant about the things that are totally unfamiliar to you, without people making it sound like you're running down their country, and really, no-one who is Australian or loves living here needs to read this thread. But it makes those having a hard time feel like they're not the only one.

And for the record. I'm not even saying there is anything wrong with shopping barefoot, or the fact that the place is so casual I never get to really dress up. I'm just saying these are the things that are different about here that make me think wtf?? In Ireland I used to just say stuff to people about how shit the weather is and how nothing ever works properly, and they would call me a blow-in, and we'd all have a good laugh. As I can't do that in Australia, I'm doing it where only other people who want to, have to read it.

And to be honest, I don't think anyone moving here is going to be put off by people giving out about barefoot shoppers. Sorry to make myself so popular, but I hate being told what I'm allowed to say.
It's ok, The Oz is great brigade automatically label any new negative poster as a troll or made up nickname to try and intimidate them to go away. Stick with it, it only gets worse.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
It's ok, The Oz is great brigade automatically label any new negative poster as a troll or made up nickname to try and intimidate them to go away. Stick with it, it only gets worse.

It is strange that after a bad day as an immigrant you are not allowed to post your negatives on a British Expats site without the "Australia is God" police asking for proof or giving a few hundred facts and figures about why the UK is worse.

I actually like Australia (at the minute). A day like today in Perth makes me realise how lucky I am to be here.

But I still get stressed with the crap which goes on. (My current bogey is the appalling of waste of money spent on the different states' regulations just to preserve the politicians' gravy train (great article in The Weekend Australian's Inquirer section on this today)).

As a recent migrant (been here for 15 months) it's nice to sound-off on a site for British Expats about things which will probably cause equal concern to many other British Expats. It was the same when living in SE Asia.

They are - as someone wrote the other day - my experiences of Australia. It says more about the insecurities of others who feel a pressing need to post a defence of the faith by asking for proof, a proper scientific investigation or posting an anti-UK lecture (not as if I hold the UK in any great esteem anyhow) rather than just, perhaps, posting an alternative experience of the system.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 8:14 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2

It is strange that after a bad day as an immigrant you are not allowed to post your negatives on a British Expats site without the "Australia is God" police asking for proof or giving a few hundred facts and figures about why the UK is worse.

I actually like Australia (at the minute). A day like today in Perth makes me realise how lucky I am to be here.

But I still get stressed with the crap which goes on. (My current bogey is the appalling of waste of money spent on the different states' regulations just to preserve the politicians' gravy train (great article in The Weekend Australian's Inquirer section on this today)).

As a recent migrant (been here for 15 months) it's nice to sound-off on a site for British Expats about things which will probably cause equal concern to many other British Expats. It was the same when living in SE Asia.

They are - as someone wrote the other day - my experiences of Australia. It says more about the insecurities of others who feel a pressing need to post a defence of the faith by asking for proof, a proper scientific investigation or posting an anti-UK lecture (not as if I hold the UK in any great esteem anyhow) rather than just, perhaps, posting an alternative experience of the system.
Well said.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Pity there isn't a forum attached to this for migrants going to UK or actually living there. It would be interesting to see what they find hard etc about UK. Nut there again I would imagine it would read similar to some of the posts on here.

I think sometimes people underestimate the problems and culture shocks of migrating. Until we do it, we are not sure how we are going to react and we will make mistakes. I think it can be a rollercoaster and it does make a big difference who comes into our lives and if we are able to get jobs etc. I don't often think people realise they are also coming with a clean slate and have to prove themselves workwise, make contacts as well as making friends. Some enjoy that, others it can be a nightmare. I think it is good for people to know it can be tough at times before making the decision to go to Oz, but people also should be aware it can be just as tough returning to UK after years being away. Sometimes the latter can also be hard because you are often thinking it may be easier, and it always isn't. I personally found it a culture shock going to Australia, and more surprising, one when I went back to UK for a while.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

christinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond reputechristinabell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2

Believe it or not, I completely agree with you. You should be able to come on here and vent. You cant complain to the locals because your seen as a whinger and when you come on here and unload some people will shoot you down too. Guess it makes it a no win situation.

Like Ive said before however, I think its the way that some people complain that gets up others noses. I know if someone has a negative point of view based on their own personal experience and dont generalise, it doesnt bother me. But naturally I will defend myself when Australians are called ferals, idiots or "defensive, insecure pains in the neck" as mentioned in a previous post. I dont understand why people have to sink to this level to try and get their point across. Is it because they are so insecure in the strength of their argument they have to be so nasty ? Maybe if they lost a bit of the animosity they would be taken a lot more seriously and their opinions and feelings would be taken into consideration and discussed more appropriately. And I say that to both sides.. the anti and the pro oz groups. The majority of people on here are able to put forward their opinions without having to run Oz or the UK down to score points, sadly however theres the minority that only know how to " fight" the dirty way.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
I personally found it a culture shock going to Australia, and more surprising, one when I went back to UK for a while.
Here's an irony for you....

In spite of the things which really make me cross about Australia (I nearly started typing out yet another list then!!), I now believe that it is essentially Britain with sun.

This is possibly a strange thing to say given how many times I've said that it isn't Britain and if you want make a success of it you shouldn't make comparisons. But it is.

After 5 years living in SE Asia and now 15 months here, it is possible to make comparisons. The people are very similar in that they have a very similar outlook on life. Schools are broadly similar, government is similar, food is similar, driving is similar...

Take driving. The WA drivers are the most discourteous drivers that I've come across. But it is all essentially the same as the UK. Drive on the left, have a motorway/freeway. Roads are good, get congested at peak times etc etc.

In Borneo I'd frequently see a water buffalo wandering over the road, a cow balanced precariously on the back of a flat bed truck, there'd be pot holes everywhere, no cars around during Friday prayers...

See what I mean? Same with many other things...
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:49 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christinabell
Believe it or not, I completely agree with you. You should be able to come on here and vent. You cant complain to the locals because your seen as a whinger and when you come on here and unload some people will shoot you down too. Guess it makes it a no win situation.
Eh??? I've got Aussie friends I can vent to. Funnily enough, many of them seem to have similar problems in day to day life The one difference is the cultural factors that I'm unfamiliar with but my Aussie mates accept that and have a good natured laugh at my expense.

I got no problems with people complaining here either. It's up to each poster to use the site for whatever way they want (within the rules of course ). My problem is when people argue without having the slightest intention of budging from their position, whether that be positive or negative posters. It gets a bit tedious seeing the same generalisations over and over again.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 10:17 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Pity there isn't a forum attached to this for migrants going to UK or actually living there. It would be interesting to see what they find hard etc about UK.
http://www.tntmagazine.com/uk/phpbb2/index.php

You would be surprised
Old Oct 28th 2006, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

kaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tabbles
Hi there, I'm new on this site. I was reading this thread and just had to put in my two and sixpence. I'll tell you what I don't like about Australia.

- The fact that it's completely unacceptable to say anything negative about anything in Australia. This is the only country I've lived in where you can't even joke about how much barefoot shoppers annoy you without getting lynched.

- And whats most annoying is that even if you go to a site called BRITISHEXPATS.COM specifically for people from the UK!!!, and set up a forum for talking about Australia where you're not bothering anyone, you can't even blow off steam about stuff that winds you up without a bunch of defensive, insecure pain in the neck Australians coming on here and taking up most of the thread telling us why we should shut up.
Good post and I agree with you entirely - and it isn't always it's the Australian's who jump down your throat the minute you dare say anything negative. There are some British expats on here too who seem to think that anyone who dares to post anything which could remotely be percieved as anti-Oz (even in jest), should be ridiculed and mocked. Unbelievable that some people don't seem to be able to see other peoples views at all.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 10:55 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Matt, if you dont tell me who you really are, I shall tickle your feet with feathers.

Yes I will and I will show no mercy.

Hmmm, tickle!